Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Upstate New York

We're taking our daughter on a short college scouting trip. Of course, I'll be armed with cameras/lenses as we'll have plenty of free time on our hands. The plan is to visit Buffalo on the 17th, Oswego on the 18th, and Rochester on the 19th. If time permits, we're going to try to visit Ithica and Cornell on the 20th.

Since most campus tours are 3-4 hour visits. There should be some free time in the late afternoon to do some sightseeing/photo hunting.

Is there any place in particular that we should try to visit while we're up there? Of course, we plan on checking out Niagara Falls while we're in Buffalo on Thursday.

07-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Forum Member

The Ithaca/Finger Lakes region is beautiful, in the past year I've been there twice myself. Great for hiking/outdoors stuff, and taking a long drive around the lakes, visiting the wineries along the way. The Cornell campus is great as well.

APEHAUS goes to Ithaca
07-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm pretty sure Cornell will be one of the stops. Even if it's for an informal walkaround campus visit.
07-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are some very nice state parks in the southern tier such as Letchworth State Park.

In addition, if you like auto racing, there is Watkins Glenn at the south end of Lake Seneca, and some vinyards along the finger lakes region

Just look out for stray deer. There are lots of them on the roads.

If you are in Oswego, especially on a friday night (I think that is still race night) you should go to the speedway and see the super-modifieds run.

These are a class of racing all to themselves. The car specification is almost unlimited, I think aside from basic dimensions the only limits are front engine and solid rear axle (i.e. no rear engines or independant suspension allowed) Basically the cars are the evolution of the late 1950's early 1960's USAC champ cars, with the biggest baddest fule injected north american engine you can put in a car.

They are loud, and very fast and a lot of fun to watch. They represent the go old american engineering principle, it a little is good, a whole lot more is better

the attached photo is from about 1982, shot on 400 ISO Ektachrome and scanned on a Minolta DIMAGE II scanner.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 03-22-2012 at 06:17 AM.
07-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The baseball hall of fame is in Cooperstown, a little bit south of Utica. Fun if you're a baseball fan.
07-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

there are lots of waterfalls in ithaca, if you're up for a fair bit of a hike, they're awesome to see.

not gonna visit BU? or are you looking at private colleges?
07-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

thats not my most familiar part of NY, but i know at least a few of those campuses are scenic. Also don't forget (though you probably won't have time) that Eastman Kodak is based in Rochester, and there is, I believe, a photography museum there.