Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New Trip Planning, Possible New Equipment

So am planning on a train trip to Slovenia, will do Ljublijana, Lake Bled, Julian Alps, etc and don't think I want to risk having my cranky K200D crap out on me, I'm on extremely tight budget and don't mind going used for something similar or a bit better. My focus is on architecture and landscape shooting and currently have 18-55, 18-135 and my beloved 16-45, not sure if I need anything else but if so, what? anyone have some suggestions?

06-22-2016, 01:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
So am planning on a train trip to Slovenia, will do Ljublijana, Lake Bled, Julian Alps, etc and don't think I want to risk having my cranky K200D crap out on me, I'm on extremely tight budget and don't mind going used for something similar or a bit better. My focus is on architecture and landscape shooting and currently have 18-55, 18-135 and my beloved 16-45, not sure if I need anything else but if so, what? anyone have some suggestions?
I would leave the 18-55 at home since you have the 16-45 which is a great lens. As for the body, if you're on a tight budget I would go for a second-hand K5IIs. Also, don't forget a good tripod if you're into landscapes and architecture.
06-22-2016, 02:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are travelling light, the 18-135 is the single lens I'd take. If you are like me and prefer wide over the ability to zoom, take the 16-45.

I agree that a used K-5 or K-5ii is probably your best best if money is tight, but I wouldn't pass up a used K-30. I purchased one here from a forum member and was very please with the results. It's lighter than the K-5, which makes it easier to use hand held, and a little smaller.

A tripod might not be in your budget, or travelling style, but a beanbag is a good option. I've used a Gorillapod with my K-5.
06-22-2016, 02:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You'll want the 16-45, especially for Bled (town and ravine), Ljubljana and Postojna Cave, which I would strongly recommend if you haven't planned it yet.
A K-30 or K-50 are both excellent affordable cameras and I would even suggest them over the 5 series, as it's showing its age.

06-22-2016, 02:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But does the K-5 series have a record of aperture control failures like the -30 and the -50? You'd hate to take a camera on holiday that packs up halfway through.

I agree that the 18-135 is a great single lens solution in these circumstances, and that the 18-55 should stay home.
06-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
But does the K-5 series have a record of aperture control failures like the -30 and the -50? You'd hate to take a camera on holiday that packs up halfway through.

I agree that the 18-135 is a great single lens solution in these circumstances, and that the 18-55 should stay home.
My K-5 II also had that aperture motor failure, so IMHO it was a bad run of those modules (although most seem to have found their way into the K-30).
Honestly, whatever you get will be an immense upgrade, I just suggested the 30/50 because of the faster operation.
06-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
You'll want the 16-45, especially for Bled (town and ravine), Ljubljana and Postojna Cave, which I would strongly recommend if you haven't planned it yet.
A K-30 or K-50 are both excellent affordable cameras and I would even suggest them over the 5 series, as it's showing its age.
giklab yes thanks much for the suggestion of Postojna, I'd heard of it but not looked deeply into yet as I'm in the very early stages of planning. Any other out of the way or off the beaten path places you might suggest? I love to explore and get lost on my own.
06-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
giklab yes thanks much for the suggestion of Postojna, I'd heard of it but not looked deeply into yet as I'm in the very early stages of planning. Any other out of the way or off the beaten path places you might suggest? I love to explore and get lost on my own.
I'd suggest visiting the Vintgar, since you're going to Bled anyway (can be a bit touristy at times, but worth it IMO). There are plenty of trails and destinations, so even if you don't plan that much you'll have somewhere to go to. Along with Postojna, the Škocjan series of caves is *gorgeous*, but slightly out of your way. There's also a partisan hospital in a cramped valley near Idrija which is very interesting to see, but also a bit out of your way.
While you are in Postojna you could visit the castle that's at the other end of those caves if that's your thing (I don't believe it's actually accessible through the caves though). That's all the specific places that come to mind right now that are in your planned area, I'll PM you anything else I remember.
BTW, we do have a small Pentaxian community (and a shop in Ljubljana that carries most things Pentax) so if you need anything or something conks out you will be able to get a replacement. Not sure how expensive the used market is where you're from, so you could start out with your K-200D and pick something up on the way.

06-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I finally upgraded from my K-7 this year to a K-5iis and am very happy. At low ISO it's excellent and shooting raw and denoising with DXO optics Prime, it easily goes to 2500 no issues. I haven't shot higher yet. The K200D used the same sensor as the K10D and u finally sold mine this year. Unlike my K-7, I was sad to see it go.

you happen to have 3 lenses that cover similar ranges. So I'd opt for the 18-135 and maybe a 14, 15 or 12-24. Perhaps add a longer lens for compressing landscapes. A small prime would do. My travel kit if I'm going light is 16-85 main lens. A wide angle (15mm or 12-24) and a tele. I have an old 150mm M lens that does a nice job and is extremely compact. I wish it was a A series, however.

That should pretty much cover your bases.