Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
clackers - I haven't gotten to the Botanical Gardens yet, I'm kind of saving it for when I'm running out of city ideas but I will be visiting the gardens eventually. I might even go take a trip or two outside of the city limits as far as the trains and buses will take me, to see the wildlife away from the urban areas. Since I'm my starting point is east of Melbourne, Dandenong hills doesn't seem that far off for a day trip, good tip! When it comes to guides and the like, I'm trying to keep the costs down and do the photography hunting as much as I can on my own, I might consider doing a guided tour once though, just have to find that trip that I really want to do!

It seems that I can tick off one of these suggestions off the list, I'm actually heading to Healesville Sanctuary tomorrow. Apparently I have some one on one time with a wombat booked thanks to my friend here.

Des - Phillip Island seems like a great place to go, I'll see if I got some money hidden in the mattress for that trip.

surfar - I'm from Sweden, nothing is too cold for me :P

I really got to thank you guys for all the tips, I'll do it by posting some photos here, something I suck at, usually they end up on my instafeed. (PM me if you're interested in having a look I don't want to advertise it hehe, or just convince me that I shouldn't be so prude). Anyway, the Melbourne photos I've taken so far haven't quite passed the first critique filter (me) yet, but as soon as something good turns up I promise I'll show it to you guys!

12-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yep, wetsuits are not optional at Woolamai even if the sun's out:
The Southern Ocean is for real men..... not wussy northerners.... (Southern Hemisphere POV)

(Two Surfers meet in a bar...... Northerner says "I saw a jelly fish"..... Southerner says "geez....quiet one for me today.... did have to kick a 6m White Pointer away and then padle 600 meters to Shore.... but all good ....at least it didn't bite my board in half like last week... )

Last edited by noelpolar; 12-01-2016 at 07:10 PM.
12-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
clackers - I haven't gotten to the Botanical Gardens yet, I'm kind of saving it for when I'm running out of city ideas but I will be visiting the gardens eventually.
As a tourist, you've got a limited number of things to do, and can't indulge too much time in any one location, but a tantalizing possibility - a Powerful Owl has been spotted occasionally around the New Zealand section of the gardens. There are probably only five hundred pairs in the whole state.

Google 'Powerful Owl' if you're curious. These things have been known to carry off and eat possums, rabbits, cats and koalas!
12-01-2016, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a name to be reckoned with. I might just have a visit to the botanical gardens this afternoon then! Hope the 60-250 is enough if I manage to see it. I'm guessing that it's hiding/sleeping mostly during the day.

12-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
The Southern Ocean is for real men
.Yes, a treacherous ocean if you don't respect it....waves get to a reasonable size but not to telegraph pole size like in Hawaii! That's WHERE you need good size gonads!

---------- Post added 12-02-16 at 10:55 AM ----------

a 6m White
Yes, its daunting seeing a GW....I saw a full grown female(19ft)....from about 3m...that's metres not miles!

Lucky it was in a refrigerated glass cabinet( its still on display @ Hervey bay)

Theres a guy my age @ Forster...just down coast a bit....he needs a new board, because yesterday a GW(half grown) bit his in half....got a little of him too!
12-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a name to be reckoned with. I might just have a visit to the botanical gardens this afternoon then! Hope the 60-250 is enough if I manage to see it. I'm guessing that it's hiding/sleeping mostly during the day.
And a good thing, too ... I hope you're not short and wearing wool clothes. If you bent over to pick up some litter ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3196177/The-jaw-dropping-moment-powe...e-pet-dog.html
12-01-2016, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple from my beloved Altona, just to tempt you this way this way.

12-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

---------- Post added 12-02-16 at 10:55 AM ----------

Theres a guy my age @ Forster...just down coast a bit....he needs a new board, because yesterday a GW(half grown) bit his in half....got a little of him too!
In shark talk.... that's a tasting platter....

I was watching one off Kangaroo Island last year that went under our tinny in crystal clear water.... maybe 2 meters below us.... only a little one.... 3 or so meters long.... it looked up and got spooked, turned 45degrees and took off..... it's agility and speed was just amazing..... convinced me that most "attacks" are more than likey curiosity nibbles..... if they really want you.... and your in the water ....your gone!
12-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

it's agility and speed was just amazing..... convinced me that most "attacks" are more than likey curiosity nibbles..... if they really want you.... and your in the water ....your gone!
As I understand it, sharks are relatively dumb (the one in Jaws 3 notwithstanding), and most take a bite of a black-dressed surfer and then realize they don't have a tasty seal and break off the attack.

Actual deaths are not common. Less so than by horses and cattle, for instance.
12-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The one in Jaws cost a million$US back in the 70s....some of the footage from those movies was shot in SA....those Tasmaniacs
s

who keep wanting to prove they can swim have been lucky...must have chosen the Alley in Bass straight that the east and west GWs don't cross.....A full grown White is the most awesome living creature,so glad the one I looked in the eye was FROZEN!

Four friends have been attacked....2' by whites....one was full grown ,Andrew survived but the other surfer bitten died a few days after the attack....

The other friend was bitten by a juvenile GW,clipped him on the bottom of the heel....it happened that fast he didn't even see it.

Other 2 guys only had their boards bitten...didn't identify what species.

Last edited by surfar; 12-01-2016 at 10:35 PM.
12-01-2016, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Actual deaths are not common. Less so than by horses and cattle, for instance.
No publicity is given over here to the horse and cattle attacks on surfers. Bloody media censorship!
12-02-2016, 12:45 AM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are about 1 metre tall, so the 60-250 should be fine, if you see it! Powerful Owl | BIRDS in BACKYARDS

There are some good birding/wildlife spots in Melbourne accessible by public transport. @Buberfan's tip is a good one. Also try Studley Park (if you can borrow a bike, there's a nice path along the river). The area around the boatshed is very pleasant and there are often surprising birds there (e.g. Nankeen Night Heron). Another list here: BirdLife Melbourne - Birding Sites - Melbourne

ince I'm my starting point is east of Melbourne, Dandenong hills doesn't seem that far off for a day trip, good tip!
Parks Victoria - Dandenong Ranges National Park
It's famous for Superb Lyrebirds, but King Parrots, Sulphur-Crested Cockatoos, Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoos, Crimson Rosellas, Superb Fairy-Wrens and Eastern Yellow Robins are amongst many striking and charismatic species that are commonly seen.

In the Dandenongs there's also Puffing Billy, a narrow gauge steam train that run from Belgrave (accessible on the Metro train network): Melbourne Family Attraction - Puffing Billy | Puffing billy Scenic, photogenic and fun (for the inner 6 year old).

Last edited by Des; 12-02-2016 at 03:49 PM.
12-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

No publicity is given over here to the horse and cattle attacks on surfers. Bloody media censorship!
Well, it's one of those things like you're more likely to die in the car on the way to the airport than in the plane trip, but it's never perceived that way.
12-02-2016, 01:54 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Well, it's one of those things like you're more likely to die in the car on the way to the airport than in the plane trip, but it's never perceived that way.
Maybe for the average motorist..... quite pathetic skills does the average Australian motorist have..... never understood our willingness to accept such mediocrity when it comes to ones safety...
12-11-2016, 07:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I've been doing quite a lot of photography and have been outside of Melbourne as well. Yesterday I went for a short trip to Phillip Island, to the Nobbies and later that evening to the penguin parade which was a bit of a disappointment. No photography or filming allowed, of any kind, with or without flash. That kinda drained my enthusiasm but I endured the somewhat expensive and underwhelming experience.

Speaking of experiences, one just replaces the other and I have no time to even review my photo's, need to spend time with the mrs as well. I'll have to put a raincheck on posting the photos until I get back or the weather gets worse. Sitting outside of Melbourne museum writing this. Just enjoying 30 degrees and sunshine. Compare that with my Swedish friends who have -6 and snow. I can't complain