Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Just landed in Melbourne

If you told me two weeks ago that I would be going to Melbourne this year, I'd say you're pulling my leg, but here I am and hungry for photo's, and maybe, just maybe a lens.

This is a shout out to the Aussie pentaxians, you VICs out there, what's good and what's not? I won't have my own car so I'm relying a lot on local transportation, and when she has time, a friend that lives here might be able to drive me around. Are there any gems that can't be missed? I'm usually a nature photographer so this city photography is new to me.

I'm working on getting rid of my jet lag, over one day travel time to get here so this is my day to scout locations. I'll be here for a few weeks so I got some time but I would like to be able to return to places for better lighting etc.

I mentioned a lens, are there any good camera stores that sell Pentax equipment? If I buy a lens, it will probably be the DA 15 mm, I'm really keen on getting wider angles than my current 18 mm and I heard it's good.

Have a great day guys!

11-28-2016, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lucky you, I love Melbourne with a passion. There's plenty to see in the city itself but I'll let the locals give you the best advice. As for buying gear, I'd recommend buying from DCXpert on Ebay and get it delivered to a local address. They have the best prices I've found and the service is outstanding (it will be delivered next day as promised). Enjoy your time, you've landed in the best city in Australia (IMO of course and I'm sure some others are going to disagree with me)
11-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may be able to buy directly from CR Kennedy aka Pentax Australia Ricoh Imaging | Home. It's always worth a call. If not, I'm sure they'll point you to a retailer who can help out.

300 Lorimer Street,
Port Melbourne
Phone: (03) 9823 1555

Their eBay arm is DCXpert mentioned above
11-28-2016, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Camera Lane for older lenses, on Lt. Bourke St.

Michael's and Digi Direct on Elizabeth St.

Also, if you are so inclined, DigiDirect sold and developed film last time I was there, though you might want to ask before you consider hitting them with anything other than 35mm!

Last edited by pathdoc; 11-29-2016 at 03:30 AM.
11-28-2016, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the city, there are the old Victorian arcades off Bourke street. There also lots of great street art. There's the botanical gardens just across the river from the city centre. The Melbourne Zoo of course has lots of possibilities. If you like water, take a stroll along the banks of the Yarra, perhaps even as far as the new, stylish Docklands and catch the reflections.The city has so many photographic possibilities! If you want to go further afield, take a train to the beach suburb of St Kilda to shoot the Pier and the historic Luna Park. If you like wildlife, take a train to Westona and walk from there to the Doug Grant Reserve, the start of some world class wetlands with great bird life (though not so brilliant at the moment as at other times of the year - I live here which is how I know).
11-28-2016, 11:41 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Don't forget, when you leave Australia, you can claim the 10% GST back at the airport.

It's called the Tourist Refund Scheme: Tourist Refund Scheme
11-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great tips, I will definitely check out the "real" stores but the eBay one seems to be the cheapest. buberfan, that is an extensive description of the town, the links are great, it's a big help! p38arover, that's a good tip, didn't know about it, I guess it's a bit of a catch 22, tourists don't know about it but aussies can't use it

I'm heading out to the town center today, so if buberfan or some other Melbournite happens to see a guy dressed in black with a Pentax busily clicking away, don't hesitate to say hi!

11-29-2016, 05:20 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to Melbourne, Stardust!

For your city stuff, there are lots of graffiti lanes and alleyways, and plenty of arcades to get street café culture shots. If you walk along the Yarra you get plenty of cityscapes, until you reach the harbour where there are plenty of buildings and bridges to photograph against the water and sky.

You say you're a nature photographer. For plants, the city Botanical Gardens are pretty good, but the Cranbourne Royal Botanical Gardens way out in the distant suburbs is a huge collection of native flora (and native birds happen to be around them, not just sparrows and pigeons!).

For animals, there is of course the zoo and aquarium, but further out there is the Werribee Zoo (outdoor park with African animals) and Healesville Sanctuary, a sprawling animal display and rescue centre which includes a terrific Birds of Prey show.

Genuine birding opportunities lie in the Dandenong hills (home to the lyrebird David Attenborough rhapsodizes over), the You Yang hills, and the Western Treatment Centre at Werribee (restricted access, but has the largest number of species outside Kakadu, it is said).

I can give you the TripAdvisor details of a man who as a full time job takes tourists birdwatching with a Swarovski spotting scope.

There are some wonderful hikes possible, in the rainforests of the Dandenongs and places like Plenty Gorge or even close to the CBD at Yarra Bend.

I can also give a link to a night time sea kayak paddle up the river from the harbour, if you're an outdoorsy kind of guy.

PS The camera shops contain little on display. They don't stock Pentax inventory, they generally just pass your order for an item to CR Kennedy (the distributors for Pentax Australia, in Port Melbourne). Don't be fooled by the number of Australians on this forum, it's an inconsequential niche brand here too, as you'll discover! :-)

Last edited by clackers; 11-29-2016 at 05:31 PM.
11-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I wouldn't be so pessimistic if I were you. I could, had I been inclined, have bought an FA43, an FA31, a DA 12-24, a KS-1, and several K, M and A series lenses last time I was there. As it was, I came away with an SMC-M 135/3.5 and a 35-70mm Ricoh lens from their auto-aperture film era, just missed out on a 55/2.0 K lens, and would have bought a 16mm Sigma fisheye with A contacts had it not been faulty.
11-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QUICK, get outa there!.....Best thing about Melbourne is leaving....Head to QLD where the smart Vicos moved too!...HA HA!

But b4 you go, hire a car and do the great ocean road....18mm will be good enough.
11-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Head to QLD where the smart Vicos moved too!...HA HA!.

Has to be some way of getting smart people into that state!

Just kidding, I cheer for you guys every time I watch State of Origin, and hope to get up to Cairns next winter for a little holiday.
11-30-2016, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adding to Clackers' list ...

Phillip Island (about 90 minutes' drive from Melbourne) is a wonderful place for wildlife. The Penguin Parade is one of Victoria's biggest tourist drawcards - even with the crowds it's well worth it. But there's much more than the penguins. Spend a day and night on the Island if you can. The seal cruise from Cowes is great; other cruises are enjoyable too. And look for endangered Hooded Plovers on various southern beaches (try Surf Beach or Pyramid Rock). The koala reserve provides easy koala sightings; combine Oswin Roberts Reserve, Conservation Hill and Rhylll inlet walks. Churchill Island is excellent for wildlife - including many (very photogenic) Cape Barren Geese (possibly with chicks). Woolamai is a great surf beach which presents excellent photo ops (it's one of the few west-facing beaches in Victoria, so good for sunsets). If possible do the Woolamai headland walk after sunset - you walk through a large colony of Short-Tailed Shearwaters, who return to their burrows at night (they are very close so you don't need a long lens - just tone down the flash). In fact there are shearwater burrows beside the road just out of Woolamai township - you can have a quick look on the way back at night after the penguin parade. Woolamai township actually has two good little takeaways (an Indian one and a fish shop). San Remo fisherman's co-op has the world's best fish and chips, in a pleasant location. The George Bass walk from San Remo is worthwhile.

In fact if you can manage a few days, combine Phillip Island with Bunurong coast and on to Wilson's Prom. Lovely coastline and great wildlife, ending up at one of Australia's most-loved National Parks. It's worth hiring a car for a few days just for a trip like this.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Has to be some way of getting smart people into that state!
Remember Piggy Muldoon's great line about NZ emigration to Australia: it raises the average IQ of both countries. Same when Victorians move to Qld.

Last edited by Des; 11-30-2016 at 06:52 PM.
11-30-2016, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Phillip Island
I was going to mention PI, ....but was more interested in some "Mexican" comment...ha ha...

I surfed @ Woolamai back in early 70s...too bloody cold for me!....said to my mate " how about we go back to New South"...We left immediately.

As for photo opportunities, the landcsapes are stunning....And the old original buildings in the rural towns make great subjects( well I was impressed back then,i hope what I saw is still there)

OP, enjoy Melbourne...but next time choose the real Ozzie city to land in....its not far NORTH!

---------- Post added 12-01-16 at 01:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Same when Victorians move to Qld
Yes, its good when they come thru NSW...we sell them fuel and food and always tell them its SUNNY up there!
11-30-2016, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I surfed @ Woolamai back in early 70s...too bloody cold for me!....said to my mate " how about we go back to New South"...We left immediately.
Yep, wetsuits are not optional at Woolamai even if the sun's out:
11-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Waves were a lot bigger the day we were there....surfed the sandbar to left of carpark....day before cup day 1974.that session was amongst the best beach break waves ive had.Drove past Flemington following day...humanity gone mad!Wall to wall CHAOS.

Will get back there armed with some cameras one day.save the big wave boards for the tropics!