Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What to throw in the bag for 10 days La Palma?

The island is the North-Westerm most of the Canary Islands and is mainly hiking territory, lots of nature, volcanoes etc. and a little bit of cutesie villages but as far as I understand no grand cathedrals or other impressive architecture. I'm agonizing over gear to take. Hope someone can either validate or criticize my initial selection.

Cameras: K-5 IIs and Ricoh GR

Available glass for the GR, the GW3 21mm wide

For the Pentax:

Sigma 8-16mm for interior, bit on the heavy side
DA18-55 (WR) almost never used unless wet outside
Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8 a bit on the heavy side as well
Revuenon 55mm/f1.2 manual focus but awesome glass
DA*50-135mm/f2.8 my "bag of primes" but a bit bulky/heavy
DA55-300mm light and compact but less sharp than the 50-135
Tamron 90mm/f2.8 macro - really nice but overlap with others
Sigma 85mm/f1.4 way to bulky and heavy

I also have a Kenko 25mm AF tube which I can use for extreme closeups on f.i. the 55mm or the 55-300mm

I'll be travelling light and anything I take must fit in the front pocket of my laptop backpack. Kind of obsessing over what to take and what to leave behind right now.

My initial take on this is to bring along the GR for the wide stuff (the GW3 can go in the suitcase, little chance of damage or theft) and the K-5 IIs with the DA55-300mm to cover the rest of the range with maybe the 55mm/f1.2 thrown in for low-light opportunities and the Kenko tube (suitcased again) for the occasional flower macro. Leave the rest at home.

Any thoughts/considerations appreciated.

02-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You know somebody is going mention a lens not on your list, so I might as well be the first--I've seen enough pics from the 18-135 to think it's the ultimate vacation lens. (Check out PF member "sealonsf" and his/her shots from Peru if you've not already.)
02-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
You know somebody is going mention a lens not on your list, so I might as well be the first--I've seen enough pics from the 18-135 to think it's the ultimate vacation lens. (Check out PF member "sealonsf" and his/her shots from Peru if you've not already.)
I knew that when I posted of course - I have a thing against zooms with extreme ranges, especially when they start wide and go across normal into tele. I do not trust the IQ enough to spend the money on them. The DA55-300 already was a psychological hurdle for me to take and although it is decent, it certainly isn't up there with the rest of my glass collection. I have it because of its low cost and the ability to use the 200-300mm range in the few occasions where I need it. (got rid of its predecessor, The Tamron 70-300mm for not being shrap at all beyond 220mm)

I know it sounds kind of weird but I really want to stick with what I have as it took me years to build up the collection to my liking. I'd expect the 18-135 to perform less than the 55-300mm and certainly a lot less than the 50-135mm. I'd end up spending the money and not using it.
02-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

On our trip to Tenerife in January I just took the usual - DA18-55WR, DA50-200WR and DA21/DA40/DA70 Limiteds
- 2017 January Tenerife | Flickr

BTW, if you are thinking of hiring a car there, use CiCar but don't book over the Internet, go to their office, pay cash and haggle.

02-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
On our trip to Tenerife in January I just took the usual - DA18-55WR, DA50-200WR and DA21/DA40/DA70 Limiteds
- 2017 January Tenerife | Flickr

BTW, if you are thinking of hiring a car there, use CiCar but don't book over the Internet, go to their office, pay cash and haggle.
Great shots. Brings back many happy memories. The Ltd's do exceptionally well as expected but I'm also positively surprised by your results from the 18-55mm - good stuff!

We did most of the islands way back when the kids were still younger. I have excellent memories of a trip to the Teide on Tenerife. As I was told, La Palma is a whole different ballgame - virually no mass-tourism and fewer facilities - just as I like it!

This time we booked a fly-drive through an agency and the car was included - through CiCar indeed. Anthing to watch out for with them? Do they try to hard-sell CDW and similar add-ons?
02-17-2017, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your initial take sounds pretty good. Leave the 55/1.2 at home unless you REALLY think you'll need it.

I am assuming a small lightweight tripod is out of the question.
02-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Your initial take sounds pretty good. Leave the 55/1.2 at home unless you REALLY think you'll need it.

I am assuming a small lightweight tripod is out of the question.
No, good call. I've got a TSA-431 Travel Tripod with a small ballhead I can chuck in my suitcase.

02-17-2017, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then you're set. The thing which normally goes with a tripod for me is a remote release; I have a cable type that plugs into the relevant port on the camera. (Yes, you can do it with self-timer only, but I find sometimes no-touch is the better part of valour.)
02-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
This time we booked a fly-drive through an agency and the car was included - through CiCar indeed. Anthing to watch out for with them? Do they try to hard-sell CDW and similar add-ons?
CiCar include everything, they don't even want your credit card number. We had a little green thing (make escapes me) that had just come off the boat - 7km on the clock and just enough petrol to get to the nearest garage. No hard sell from CiCar whatever. But we digress ...
02-17-2017, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I'd take the GR with its wide lens and leave the rest home. Maybe take the K5 with the 55-300 if you're planning on taking wildlife shots. The GR can effectively sub for all the wider stuff, freeing the K5 for long shots and saving you carrying 20 pounds in gear all over.

I prefer traveling with a simple prime lens P&S as it lets me fall in to the moments though I almost always travel with a film camera. Usually my Olympus XA or 35 RD rangefinders.