Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Road Trip Suggestions - Phoenix to NY - RT (north route/south route)

I retired last September. Our last beloved Iggy (Italian Greyhound) Daisy (the Doodle Head) past away in November after 16 years of running the household. My wife wants to go see her parents, family and friends back in the New York area. I have some friends in the Boston area and my brother in South Carolina. My (Navy) ship is having a reunion in KY this year - and that may be a stop as well.

Since my wife's last run in with the TSA 10 years ago, she refuses to ever fly again (the infamous TSA backroom) - so we are going to drive and take whatever amount of time - 1, 2 or 3 months - it really does not matter. Probably spend a month in and around the NY/NJ area, just seeing folks and bumming around. The sights out here in the west - we are going to continue to do at our leisure on other trips - Grand Canyon. Monument Valley, Bryce, etc.. This will not be our only long road trip.

We have a number of places we want to visit (but not really that many)....
  • McDonald Observatory (West Texas) - I have a little telescope there that I helped design that I want to go see (HET).
  • Mystic Seaport - I want to see that again.
  • Williamsburg - I have never been.
  • Yellowstone - My wife's list
  • Mount Rushmore - My wife's list
Obviously, going to bring some camera gear - K5IIs, K5, 8-16, 12-24, 18-35, 25, 28, 31, 85 and the 60-250 with the 1.4x TC. Tripod, ballhead, Nodal Ninja and a laptop (with 4Tb of empty external storage).

My wife has 2 bad hips and leaky veins in her legs, so hiking is out, but she can walk (level surface) for about an hour at a time - leisurely. Have GPS and can find just about anything.

What I am looking for is suggestions for stops, things to see and shoot, interesting places, does not have to be on the beaten path. I like to shoot harbors, sail boats, square rigged ships, and just about anything else. We are thinking of a southern route and a norther route - going back on one, and returning on the other. Our time frame is perhaps leaving sometime in April/May and returning - when ever we get home.

02-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once had a job that allowed me to drive across the country. It took a few months, but was well worth the time! I would suggest the Flint Hills of Kansas. More cows than people out there, but if you plan on hitting the hills about sunrise or sunset, you will certainly pleased you did!

Another trip, closer to home for you, is US 285 between Santa Fe and Roswell. Very open spaces and some great views. If you hit it about sunset and the sky is clear, you may be able to see the shadow of the earth move across the sky, I did!

Further east, come through West Virginia and into southwest PA to Falling Waters, an incredible house designed by Frank Loyd Wright, 1491 Mill Run Rd, Mill Run, PA 15464. It is open to the public, but not sure of the times. If you like railroads, Altoona, PA, Horseshoe Curve is not far, about 2 hours north and East. It is open during normal business hours and weekends. Here is the web link-
World Famous Horseshoe Curve – Railroaders Memorial Museum

From there, take a 2-3 hour drive to Gettysburg National Park. If you like Chocolate, Hershey, PA is an hour north and a bit east of Gettysburg. You come this far, you might as well go to Independence Hall in Philadelphia. Go south from Philadelphia and Williamsburg is 5 hours south. Or go North to Mystic and on the way from Gettysburg, stop in Scranton, PA and go to Steamtown RR museum.

If you head north into NY State, stop in Rochester at the George Eastman House. If in Rochester, make certain you find an Abbott's Frozen Custard, great stuff! South of Rochester is Letchworth State Park, great gorge with three incredible water falls over 100 feet tall.

So much to see, so little time! Enjoy your trip!

Regards,
02-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a lot of ground to cover and so many options for things to see in between Phoenix and NY. The first suggestion is to use Mapquest, it lets you put in a bunch of destinations, then plots a few routes, I used it last summer.

What are your interests? There are museums, landmarks, historic homes, natural wonders, big cities and small towns. I'll try and pick 5 things that perhaps no one else will suggest.
Larimer Square, Denver CO
Crazy Horse Monument, SD, to Custer State Park to Mount Rushmore via the Iron Mountain Route through the Black Hills.
The Auburn-Cord-Duesenburg Museum in Auburn, IN
The Iowa 80, world's largest truck stop
Skylands Manor, Ringwood, NJ

As a veteran , I hope you'll go to the reunion.

As for gear, my preferred travel mode is light, but if you are going on an extended trip you might get to use all of that. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
02-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
I once had a job that allowed me to drive across the country. It took a few months, but was well worth the time! I would suggest the Flint Hills of Kansas. More cows than people out there, but if you plan on hitting the hills about sunrise or sunset, you will certainly pleased you did!

Another trip, closer to home for you, is US 285 between Santa Fe and Roswell.
That is one of the reasons for this post. Regardless of the amount of research I were to do, the suggestions here would still touch places I would never find. We have not even began to consider New Mexico - yet, but that is a great suggestion.

My eye doctor in San Luis Obispo had his practice in a Frank Loyd Wright house. Also, here in Phoenix there is the Wrigley Mansion designed by Wright along with Tallession West - which is the Wright Design School.

I had not yet considered Hershey - I'll just drop my wife off there. Death by chocolate. I'll be driving home alone....

Your other suggestions also hit the note - and on to the list.....
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
There is a lot of ground to cover and so many options for things to see in between Phoenix and NY. The first suggestion is to use Mapquest, it lets you put in a bunch of destinations, then plots a few routes, I used it last summer.
Yes, Mapquest is one of my tools. I had always been impressed by the suggestions on other travel posts here on the Forum.
QuoteQuote:
What are your interests? There are museums, landmarks, historic homes, natural wonders, big cities and small towns. I'll try and pick 5 things that perhaps no one else will suggest.
Wonderful suggestions - all on the list
QuoteQuote:
As a veteran , I hope you'll go to the reunion.
In 73 when we were decommissioning the ship for NTDS modernization, we were stripping the ship before she went into the yards. I came across 10 boxes of slides (about 200 in all). I had no idea who shot them, but I could not bear to trash them, so - hung on to them all these years. I just sent them off yesterday to a place in Oregon (DPS Dave) to be digitized and put on a CD. A friend is has a CD duplicator, so he is going to run 100 CDs for me. Gonna put them up on flicker and also send them to the reunion committee. I also have about 10 shots of her in the breaker's yard in 2000 when she was being cut up. I heard that she was being scrapped and called the yard. The secretary leaned out the window and took a few shots and emailed them to me. I need to find those old emails with the images.
QuoteQuote:
As for gear, my preferred travel mode is light, but if you are going on an extended trip you might get to use all of that. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Yea, probably way too much - but I have time to cut down some....

Last edited by interested_observer; 02-23-2017 at 10:22 PM.
02-23-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My suggestions will be eclectic.
Nashville - the Parthenon replica.
Memphis - the river and dry rub ribs at the Rendezvous. And stay at the Peabody and photography their ducks - trust me.
Near Chattanooga - rock city. Skip ruby falls.
Knoxville- holy land cafe - not photogenic but fantastic food in a hole in the wall. Tell Walter I said hi.
The gap - I 40 through the mountains. Many scenic opportunities.
Blue ridge parkway. Enough said.
Asheville - drum circle - must see to believe. Stay at downtown inn for low end but clean place and great location. Thirsty monk is a must.
Transylvania county nc - waterfalls beyond belief. Many with easy access. Try Wolfgang Greens in highlands nc for food to die for.
Grandfather mountain - a zoo and a mike high swinging bridge. Scenery to delight.
Charlotte - Daniel Stowe botanical gardens, uncc botanical gardens, us whitewater center , two lakes, downtown buildings, sports, etc. if you come let me know.
Lewiston NY near Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls! Particularly the park.
Cleveland oh. Rock and roll hall of fame is just a tip of the iceberg.
Hawksnest state park Virginia.
Old Salem in Winston Salem.
Kitty hawk nc. Nags head nc.
Ocracoke nc. Hatteras light house. Bodi island light house etc.
savanna ga. Charleston. Of these if only one Charleston. Try the Ansonborogh inn here.
Too many ideas. Must stop.
02-24-2017, 04:44 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Wonderful suggestions - all on the list
What I meant was, if you and your wife have particular interests, I and many other can probably give you more specific recommendations. For example the Auburn Museum in Auburn Indian is a car museum, but its Art Deco interior and pre WWII furnishings also make it a something of an art and a history museum. If you don't like cars, or Art Deco, it might not be as important for you.

It's great that you have those pictures from your Navy days, your friends will appreciate a copy. I wish I'd taken 1000s more from my time in the service.
02-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
What I meant was, if you and your wife have particular interests, I and many other can probably give you more specific recommendations.
Our interests are wide and varied. Old leadfoot, use to have a 67 Chevell Malibu SS 350V8 (milled and bored) with 2 4-barrels and 4 on the floor - her go fast machine. Her dad forgot to check the oil and seized it up. She is a certified get a-way driver. During a wedding, her girlfriend got cold feet about marrying a Mafioso - so they bailed out (at the alter) of the church and hid out up in Vermont. Her dad (NYPD) and brother (Asst DA in Manhattan) had to "intercede".

... she has lead a very boring life for the last 35 years....

02-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Old leadfoot, use to have a 67 Chevell Malibu SS 350V8
That's a great year for Chevelles. Since there is an interest recommend a stop in Auburn Indiana. The Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum has the classic (and fast) speedsters and limos, the National Automobile and Truck Museum right next store has some vintage muscle cars and many other styles on display.

I'm wishing for another road trip.

EDIT: Assuming you'll be taking 80/90 to or from Mount Rushmore, the Wall Drugstore is actually worth checking out. Sure it's touristy, but it's also got some really interesting displays and history. Badlands National Park is not to be missed, and will give your widest lenses a real workout. If you do take that route, outside of Council Bluffs Iowa there is a great park overlooking the Missouri river.

Last edited by robgski; 02-26-2017 at 05:44 AM.
03-02-2017, 03:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope you'll let us know about your tentative routes out and back, so I can travel vicariously.
03-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . .

Yes, Mapquest is one of my tools. I had always been impressed by the suggestions on other travel posts here on the Forum. . . .
1 if you are a car buff think about hitting some of the historic Route 66 roads

Historic Route 66 | World Monuments Fund

Search 66

a number of the Interstates go along the physical route (I 55 from St. Louis to Chicago comes immediately to mind) and some of the actual physical roadway still exists just south of Miami Oklahoma

Ribbon Road: Route 66 Oklahoma

2 if you decide to visit the Flint Hills region of Kansas, consider Topeka as well

here are some things in Topeka that might be of interest.

[I have no ownership interest in any of the following and receive no compensation for listing them]

http://evelknievelmuseum.com/

according to the person answering that phone at the museum below, opening for the Evel Knievel Museum will, hopefully be mid April 2017

Yesterdays Motorcycle Museum at Topeka Harley-Davidson

Museum | Historic Harley-Davidson® | Topeka Kansas

both museums located at the local Harley Davidson dealership, come look buy souvenirs, eat food and get a Harley if you are so inclined -full service

Heartland Park Topeka

NHRA drag strip, road course, dirt track, autocross, moto x track

event calendar

Heartland Park Topeka

Main - Sports Car Club of America

Aircraft on Display at the Combat Air Museum

don't forget to plan on visiting the Topeka Zoological Park when in town.

3 are you base ball fans - Chicago Cubs, St. Louis, KC, Cinn, Cleveland, Boston, Phillies, Atlanta, NY etc, etc, etc, and so forth and so on

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-02-2017 at 04:36 AM.
03-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And if you map out your route and ask you might have some friends waiting for you in various stops.