Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Trip suggestions eastern USA, CT to GA

So April vacation is here soon. I have a new old popup camper and looking to make a trip South from CT ( ideally Maryland) ..to as far south as GA. Camper will be with us.

I shoot mostly wildlife though old cemetaries and buildings and structures are fair game. Cities and major urban destinations are a no go. Ideally I would like a place or places close to wildlife refuges, waterfront spots.

Would appreciate all suggestions here ... we only have 1 week mid April.

Anyone have places they have been to and would recommend for the above trip?

Thanks,
Al

03-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
If you follow the shore, you could stop by the Pine Barrens in New Jersey, cross the Delaware Bay on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, visit Assateague Island, drive through the lower Delmarva Peninsula, cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, and either go straight to the upper Outer Banks or take US-13 south to Morehead City, NC, the Croatan National Forest, and Cape Lookout. That could easily eat up a week and would still get you no further south than North Carolina.
03-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Outer banks are lovely. The hatteras island national seashore is amazing. Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

I also enjoyed the horses on orcracoke.

Down in South Carolina brookgreen gardens is also lovely. Brookgreen Gardens - Wikipedia

Hawks nest state park in West Virginia is a fun spot. Hawks Nest State Park

North Carolina's zoological park in Asheboro is also amazing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Zoo
03-26-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Keep them coming please.. theres a few you mentioned that I havent been to in years ...jarring the memory here for me ( Pine Barrens and outer Banks ) ...others I will definitely look into.

Thanks,
Al

03-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you like rust, the Bethlehem Steelstacks

Bethlehem SteelStacks
by John Flores, on Flickr

If you like birds, there are plenty of opportunities along the NJ shore, particularly in Cape May. You can also take the ferry from there to MD
03-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is so much along that route, lots of wildlife refuges, battlefields, old buildings, etc. The Outer Banks were mentioned and they are nice, Corolla also has the wild mustangs, and there are several lighthouses. There is a big wildlife refuge near the Out Banks that I wanted to get to, but did not have enough time.

You've also got the Blue Ridge Parkway a little further inland, lots of small towns with old cemeteries. Just get off the interstates and find what you may.
03-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look into the Great Swamp in New Jersey. It is just off I287, a bit south of Morristown, NJ, so not really out of your way at all. A great place for wildlife.

Regards,

03-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congaree River National Park (near Columbia, SC). Interesting flooding, wild pigs, cottonmouth snakes, land crabs, etc. Not a lot of people (when I was there several years ago) and very interesting. Walking along the river I surprised a large female wild pig and her two babies.
03-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Congaree River National Park (near Columbia, SC). Interesting flooding, wild pigs, cottonmouth snakes, land crabs, etc. Not a lot of people (when I was there several years ago) and very interesting. Walking along the river I surprised a large female wild pig and her two babies.
That is close to me (100 miles). I hadn't thought about it but it is going on my list now.