Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-21-2017, 05:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

okavango delta Botswana

I'm travelling to the above next month on a two week basic camping safari trip.

Not only will i have to make choices for clothing and so, but (most importantly :-) photographic gear.

I have:

pentax k3
pentax kr
pentax k10d IR converted
pentax mx1

AF lenses:
DA15 / FA31 / DA70
DA12-24 / DA 55-300 / DA18-55WR (works well for IR) / 50-200WR
MF lenses:
primes ranging 28 to 135mm
smc A70-210 (tacksharp lens..)

Small sirui travel tropod / big sirui tripod i use for long exposures (carbon thus not that heavy)

polarizers/ND for all lenses

6 bags to choose from :-)

I have my own thoughts right now, but i'm interested in hearing opinions, especially from those that have done similar regions.. All lenses have their pro & cons. The IR is quite new to me, but might be worth exploring for mid day use (?). Black & white IR can be quite nice..

looking forward ;-) also on all other photo surrounding gear..

06-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know nothing about that specific place, the trip conditions, or your style photography but this is how I think about these kinds of issues:

1. Search the internet of images of the area to get a sense of the terrain, flora, fauna, and sky conditions. This will affect whether to bring wide angle, telephoto, and whether IR might be interesting or boring.

2. Think about traveling conditions -- how much can be carried and how much time will there be for "slow" photography (mucking about with tripods, lens swaps, filters, manual settings, slow shutter speed shots, etc.). If much of the time is in vehicles, you might want an AF telephoto zoom.

3. Decide how much "people photography" you might do either by choice or because you become the designated photographer (maybe the FA 31 or the MX1 will be a useful addition).

4. Have great time!
06-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Minimise your kit. K-3, 18-55, 55-300 (take the 55-200 if the 55-300 is not the WR version). A fast fifty. Small tripod. ND and polarisers as appropriate to the lenses. The smallest bag all this will fit in comfortably.

Consider the DA15 for sweeping-vistas shots.

Check the weather.

@photoptimist has offered good advice.
06-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Minimise your kit. K-3, 18-55, 55-300 (take the 55-200 if the 55-300 is not the WR version). A fast fifty. Small tripod. ND and polarisers as appropriate to the lenses. The smallest bag all this will fit in comfortably.

Consider the DA15 for sweeping-vistas shots.

Check the weather.

@photoptimist has offered good advice.
I am no expert but for what it is worth, here are my thoughts

I have to respectfully disagree, take 2 camera bodies,

I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law: anything that can go wrong will go wrong and Finnegan's corollary to it: Murphy was an optimist

have one set up for long distance, one set up for in close action

are you going to be in a vehicle? I used a K 5 II + tamron 70 - 300 mm zoom for the most part and had a Nikon Coolpix p610 as back up for our Northern Safari Circuit in Tanzania last year

most shots were from top of vehicle on bean bags with engine off.

try to find out how close the animals will be. we had them from up at the vehicle to too far away choose your lenses accordingly

take multiple chargers/batteries and a battery grip that will take AA batteries. K 3 has one.

have fun, take "photos" first with your mark 1 eyeballs and store in the brain, than try to capture images on memory cards

don't forget to look in all directions

06-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, done some reflecting on your advice..
Just thinking by myself as i write this.. :-)

i need to add a bean bag. Although walks are on the schedule, most wildlife shots will be done from a vehicle..
I will also go with 2 bodies. Not taking any chances on that..

Lenses are more dificult.
The 55-300 is pretty much a given. even when not wr. I just need/want the reach to be available.

One lens i forgot to mention is a F24-50 f4. On apsc behaves as 36-75. Great allrounder and the rendering is really nice.
It does not have the iq and bokeh of FA31 ofcourse. the latter is fast which helps with things like sunset and morning (which is when most gamedrives are done) But i'm hesitant to take that one with me. Since i'm very interested in capturing the landscape, the 24-50 might be ideal for that. And the da15 in my backpocket..

Or i'll just pick up a cheap DA16-45 & go with 2 bodies/2 lenses kit and be done with it..
Used to own a 16-45. Great lens.

Another option is the 12-24 and everything in between with the mx1.. or with the FA31;-)

The IR k10d is a big question mark. Best results are gotten with the 18-55 kitlens, so it's a combo i'd need to take. It can be quite spectacular. Especially converted to b&w. Also it is an option in harsh midday light since IR does great with harsh light. But it is a heavy combo..

Luckily i still have a month to think about it :-)
06-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
Ok, done some reflecting on your advice..
Just thinking by myself as i write this.. :-)

i need to add a bean bag. Although walks are on the schedule, most wildlife shots will be done from a vehicle..
I will also go with 2 bodies. Not taking any chances on that.. . . . .

Luckily i still have a month to think about it :-)
1 check if a bean bag (s) would be provided, you could also use a jacket or sweater as an improvised rest, I added the camera back pack if I needed height, (just make sure that doesn't fall outside the vehicle )

2 make sure the engine of the vehicle is off when using the camera

3 if you take a bean bag, carry it empty and fill with available material there
06-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went to the delta many years ago. It was strictly camping and walking, a few dugout canoes. No vehicles. I shot a Pentax Program A film camera with a manual focus super zoom. It was the only setup I could afford at the time.
A few comments:
- Reach is important for sure, a lot of the wildlife we saw there (unlike other places) was skittish. The 55-300 is a given. You may want to consider the upgrade to the WR version given its current price. Rent a 150-450 (but it's huge)????
- I'd want to center any kit around zooms just for the flexibility shot to shot. Particularly on walks.
- Personally I'd skip the IR.
- A simple 2 lens zoom kit supplemented by 1 or 2 primes if you think there will opportunity to use them.
- The lighter Sirui tripod should be sufficient (I have it as well). You might not need it as much as you think.
- Lots of cleaning stuff.

It's a fantastic and special place. Have fun and remember to enjoy some non-photography time.

06-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm thinking of picking up a 2ndhand da17-70 and go 2bodies/2lenses & be done with it.
I probably won't even use the tripod.. Maybe at dusk, when there is a look out on a waterhole. But even then.
Maybe i should leave it home & take my ultrabook with me for backing up..

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
and remember to enjoy some non-photography time.
That's a good one! Maybe I should have a look at the animals in real life :-)
06-28-2017, 04:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
decision made:

k3 + 55-300
Kr + 18-55wr + polarizer
da 15 + ND 10stop
travel tripod

+ all the side equiment mentioned here.. :-)
thank you
06-28-2017, 04:16 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
decision made:

k3 + 55-300
Kr + 18-55wr + polarizer
da 15 + ND 10stop
travel tripod

+ all the side equiment mentioned here.. :-)
thank you
have fun

let us see the photos please
08-27-2017, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For anyone interested:
I uploaded my best images to my website
Botswana - christophe gryspeert

Quite happy with the outcome and with the da55 300. Got so much keepers out of it & rarely had focus issues. I did struggle a bit with the iso capability of the K3. I thought it would perform better.
I used the 18 55 only a couple of times, but it was good to have it along. One can really take a decent shot with it.
& taking two body/two lenses is really a must. There is no time to change lenses..

I tried to picture the animals a bit in their surroundings, showing off the landscape as well.
Hope you enjoy (as much as i did ;-)
08-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just did a quick look thru some of the photos

all look great

very glad things worked out for you