Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2017, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
now that is something I'd love to do, I love history/architecture,etc and actually even getting lost off the beaten path. I don't ever do the normal tourist type travel, I just randomly head off in a direction without consideration as to where I'll end up, call it spontaneous adventure travel if you will. makes life so much more enjoyable when you are forced to live among and interact with, the locals.....
I could not agree with you more if I tried! I like to soak up the local feel, not the tourist spots.

08-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I could not agree with you more if I tried! I like to soak up the local feel, not the tourist spots.
I'm inclined that way but my wife is not. Mostly we go on 'conveyer belt' tours but I do my best to get lost.
08-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #33
Pentaxian

I think I've taken my last vacation for the foreseeable future.

I'm not keen on international travel these days, or flying in general; however, the two international places I'd like to go to are Machu Picchu, and the Pyramids.

Some of my past vacations - which I recommend - were:

1. Washington DC-Gettysburg-Antietam-Harpers Ferry
2. New York City (8 days, saw a lot/missed a bunch.)
3. Las Vegas (Red Rock Cyn and/or Valley of Fire)- Jackson WY- Yellowstone-Little Big Horn Battlefield-Devil's Tower- Mt Rushmore-Minuteman missile museum-Badlands (a bit of a drive.)
4. Las Vegas (Red Rock/Valley of Fire)-Hoover Dam-Zion Canyon-Bryce Canyon.
5. Phoenix (music museum)-Tucson (Titan missile museum tour)-Tombstone-Mt Kitt observatory-Ajo (the big hole, and Historical society museum was kind of fascinating).
6. Crater Lake-Umpqua River, Oregon
7. Route 66 via Victorville-Oro Grande-Barstow/Calico Ghost town)- old Rte 66 into Newberry Springs (and the Bagdad cafe)-Pisgah crater (hot, black rock - take water)-Amboy-Needles-Oatman AZ to feed semi-tame burros who will pester you-Kingman- Hackenburg-Grand Canyon caves-Seligman-stay over at Valle and then hit Grand Canyon.

I've never gotten over Macho Grande.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-08-2017 at 07:02 PM.
08-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think I've taken my last vacation for the foreseeable future.

I'm not keen on international travel these days, or flying in general; however, the two international places I'd like to go to are Machu Picchu, and the Pyramids.

Some of my past vacations - which I recommend - were:

1. Washington DC-Gettysburg-Antietam-Harpers Ferry
2. New York City (8 days, saw a lot/missed a bunch.)
3. Las Vegas (Red Rock Cyn and/or Valley of Fire)- Jackson WY- Yellowstone-Little Big Horn Battlefield-Devil's Tower- Mt Rushmore-Minuteman missile museum-Badlands (a bit of a drive.)
4. Las Vegas (Red Rock/Valley of Fire)-Hoover Dam-Zion Canyon-Bryce Canyon.
5. Phoenix (music museum)-Tucson (Titan missile museum tour)-Tombstone-Mt Kitt observatory-Ajo (the big hole, and Historical society museum was kind of fascinating).
6. Crater Lake-Umpqua River, Oregon
7. Route 66 via Victorville-Oro Grande-Barstow/Calico Ghost town)- old Rte 66 into Newberry Springs (and the Bagdad cafe)-Pisgah crater (hot, black rock - take water)-Amboy-Needles-Oatman AZ to feed semi-tame burros who will pester you-Kingman- Hackenburg-Grand Canyon caves-Seligman-stay over at Valle and then hit Grande Canyon.

I've never gotten over Macho Grande.
Your travel history is a good bucket list .

Other than Monument Valley there are a few places we want to go, but they're not remarkable except to us - great-great-grandfather's grave in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Lake City, CO, for instance.

I really want to photograph the landscapes seen in various John Ford westerns.

08-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm inclined that way but my wife is not. Mostly we go on 'conveyer belt' tours but I do my best to get lost.
I once spent a week in Brunswick, Georgia, because I could. But then, I did spend a year covering the Eastern seaboard. (The days before kids!) I could not do "conveyor belt tours" as you so aptly call them.
08-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I thought the same.
08-10-2017, 01:49 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monument Valley.

Everything else I can look at a photo.
Take the jeep tour, they look really different closeup from the ground.

Phil.

08-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Not on my bucket list, but I have a job in Shenyang for 5 days and a weekend.
Anybody been there?

Part of the job is to take industrial photos and movies which are to be sent nightly to USA.

Last year I used the Pentax K-01 with good results on a job in Japan.
The old K-01 is earning its keep and is simple to use in movie mode, which I am not very skilled at.
The movie lens to keep me at a distance is the SMC Pentax -M Zoom 1:2.8 40~80mm which has a macro focusser on the nose.

I see there are some historical buildings in Shenyang and a museum that I would like to visit.
I will probably take the Pentax MX body only and use that lens on it too.

I am enrolling in USA TSA_PreCheck which, I read, now allows less hassle and more freedom to carry-on stuff at USA airports.
That involves an interview which I take next week, and an $85 fee..
05-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Just discovered this thread. I'll give it some new life and see if more people respond.

Off the top of my head:
1) Namibia
2) Zambia
3) Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, Borneo) - going there this year mostly to see and photograph orangutans
4) Dempster Highway in the Yukon
5) Norway (Scandinavia in general)
6) Antarctica
7) Alaska to see Polar Bears
8) Galapagos
9) Morrocco
10) Madagascar

Places I've been that I REALLY wanted to go to and would be on a lot of bucket lists:
1) Peru including Andes and Amazon
2) Trans-Siberian Rail from Moscow to Beijing with stops in Russia, Mongolia and China, including the Great Wall
3) Pyramids in Egypt
4) African safari in Tanzania for the "Big 5" and Uganda for gorillas and chimps in the wild
07-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #40
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
places to go

My bucket list has all USA National Parks
Iceland
Antarctica
Maybe an African safari
Love to go to Egypt and the pyramids, but it seems a little too scary right now.
07-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A place to see auroras (Alaska, Northern Canada, or Finland to name a few) would be nice.

Japan during Cherry Blossom Season-Although I've been to Japan lots of times, I've never been there in the spring. Plus would love to see what I can do with my K-1. (Last 2 times in Japan was with a K-r). Good news, this trip is looking like it could happen next year.
07-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I thought the same.
I also flew to Texas in 2015, because it was there :-) Drove Dallas-San Antonio- Houston-Galveston-Dallas.

Met my dad again after 50 years, and 2 army buddies after 35 years. Went to the Johnson Space Center, missed the rockets...
08-12-2018, 06:14 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Right now my Bucket list is (in no particular order):

The Great Wall, Tibet, Ankor Wat, The Land Down under. The Nile, Jerusalem, Cotswald Trail, Scottish highlands, Prague, The Baltic States, Aachen, The marches in Italy, CinqueTerra, Mount Etna, The Grand Tetons, The Grand Canyon, Arcosanti, The Pacific Northwest, And Anywhere i can take a flyfishing excursion.

Next year I hope to see part of the West and Northwest here in the states. This year I'll be checking off Prague.
08-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
And Anywhere i can take a flyfishing excursion.
Yes!
08-28-2018, 05:52 AM   #45

1.Iceland
2.New Zealand
3.Swiss Alps - Matterhorn,Eiger...
4.Norway ( done 2017,2018)
5.South America
6.Borneo
7.Scottland
8.Madeira (done 2018)