Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is you on your Travel Bucket List?

Just curious what everyone else here has on their travel bucket list... I have a few spots, i.e Petra,etc but current geo politics pretty much make that one a no go for the extended future heh. For me next year will have me either in Slovenia ( Lake Bled, Predjama, Ljubljana,etc) or the Faroe Islands/Iceland...

08-07-2017, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
Just curious what everyone else here has on their travel bucket list... I have a few spots, i.e Petra,etc but current geo politics pretty much make that one a no go for the extended future heh. For me next year will have me either in Slovenia ( Lake Bled, Predjama, Ljubljana,etc) or the Faroe Islands/Iceland...
Newfoundland! Tries to make it there this year, but the geopolitics if travelling with a 2 year old made it impossible... Not quite Petra, but also rocky...

---------- Post added 08-07-17 at 01:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Newfoundland! Tries to make it there this year, but the geopolitics if travelling with a 2 year old made it impossible... Not quite Petra, but also rocky...
Autocorrect... "tried" and "of"
08-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote

---------- Post added 08-07-17 at 01:22 AM ----------

Autocorrect... "tried" and "of"
wow that'd be an awesome trip !
08-07-2017, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, my bucket list would be quite long! Having worked hard to tick items off hasn't really helped, since I just want to go back again Off the top of my head, and in no particular order:
- Katavi, Ruaha, and Selous national parks, Tanzania
- Volcanoes national park, Rwanda
- Laikipia plateau, Kenya
- Matusadona and Hwange national parks, as well as a return to Mana Pools, Zimbabwe
- Kafue, Liuwa, and North Luangwa national parks, and back to South Luangwa, Zambia
- Pantanal wetlands, Brazil
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Galápagos Islands, Equador
- Gonarezu national park, Mozambique
- Seychelle Islands
- A return to Cape Verde, especially Santo Antão
- ...to be continued!

Almost forgot - I really want to cross Central Kalahari, Botswana, going up from Kgalagadi transfrontier park through the desert to Makgadikgadi. Not recommended to do with just one vehicle, though, so it takes a bit of preparation.

Sorry for the long list, but you did ask

08-07-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

where do bucket lists end and dreams begin? It's very unlikely I'll get there, but I'd love to tour small town colonial Australia, with a few trips into the interior, and Patagonia and Chile have long fascinated me. I'd like to go back to Namibia, and maybe Uganda - and possibly tourist India for the sheer vibrancy and spectacle, Maybe throw in small town USA, and NewYork because everybody has to see it. Then the rest of the world.
08-07-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My sights are currently set on doing a bit of walking in Nepal followed by some time at Chitwan and Bardia National Parks - maybe in the northern spring to catch the rhododendrons in flower. Africa - particularly Namibia and Botswana are a high priority. I would go back to Borneo any time. I have done southern Europe a couple of times and would go back to Rome/Italy any time. Haven't been to Greece yet so it will probably be next. But my list could go on forever. Did I mention Finland?
08-07-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slow drive around Scotland with side visits to some of the offshore islands.

Argentina through to Chile.

More time in Switzerland.

08-07-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've always been fascinated with central Asia but, in the current state of affairs. it doesn't seem like such a great idea.
Peru & Bolivia are a close second and somewhat more likely but I doubt my wife would be up for it.
Scotland & Scandinavia seem more likely and I'm totally game--especially if I can work in some fishing.
Ditto Newfoundland.
Been to Indianapolis. Also Shanghai.

What lenses to take?

Last edited by dadipentak; 08-07-2017 at 07:39 AM.
08-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #9
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
where do bucket lists end and dreams begin? It's very unlikely I'll get there, but I'd love to tour small town colonial Australia, with a few trips into the interior, and Patagonia and Chile have long fascinated me. I'd like to go back to Namibia, and maybe Uganda - and possibly tourist India for the sheer vibrancy and spectacle, Maybe throw in small town USA, and NewYork because everybody has to see it. Then the rest of the world.
Only good memories from Uganda. A lot can happen in 21 years, but we found friendly and relaxed people and wonderful landscapes. I especially like the impossibly green rolling hills in the south western highlands.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
My sights are currently set on doing a bit of walking in Nepal followed by some time at Chitwan and Bardia National Parks - maybe in the northern spring to catch the rhododendrons in flower. Africa - particularly Namibia and Botswana are a high priority. I would go back to Borneo any time. I have done southern Europe a couple of times and would go back to Rome/Italy any time. Haven't been to Greece yet so it will probably be next. But my list could go on forever. Did I mention Finland?
Both Namibia and Botswana are excellent destinations. If you can, do go into the Okavango Delta. It's truly a unique place. And I don't mean unique in the modern sense of "thirteen to the dozen"

Finland, now there's a curve ball! Nothing wrong with Finland, but not one you see on most people's bucket list, I think. Northern lights?

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I've always been fascinated with central Asia but, in the current state of affairs. it doesn't seem like such a great idea.
Peru & Bolivia are a close second and somewhat more likely but I doubt my wife would be up for it.
Scotland & Scandinavia seem more likely and I'm totally game especially if I can work in some fishing.
Ditto Newfoundland.
Been to Indianapolis. Also Shanghai.
Fishing shouldn't be hard to work in neither in Scotland nor here in Scandinavia. Well, apart from it taking some time... Maybe go to Northern Norway and send your wife off on a whaling safari while you do your fishing? Spectacular scenery as well.
08-07-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Fishing shouldn't be hard to work in neither in Scotland nor here in Scandinavia. Well, apart from it taking some time... Maybe go to Northern Norway and send your wife off on a whaling safari while you do your fishing? Spectacular scenery as well.
Sounds like a plan--and more likely than the alternatives. A funny thing I noticed is that many of my dream destinations are mountainous but I'm seriously scared of heights.
08-07-2017, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We want to drive the Dempster Highway from Dawson City Yukon, visit the Tombstone Mountains, then up across the Arctic Circle to Tuktoyaktuk (when the extension is finally completed).
We can certainly vouch for Patagonia - Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina and Torres del Paine in Chile, and down to Tierra del Fuego. Amazing scenery, skies and wildlife.
08-07-2017, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

There's so much to see in just the USA that I know I will never have time to see the entire world.

When I retire in a few years I am considering selling everything, buying an RV, and touring the USA and Canada for a few years. Averaging 2 weeks in each of the 48 contiguous states would fill nearly 2 years plus more time needed for Canada and Alaska.

Internationally, Japan tops my list.
08-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
We want to drive the Dempster Highway from Dawson City Yukon, visit the Tombstone Mountains, then up across the Arctic Circle to Tuktoyaktuk (when the extension is finally completed)
That's on my radar as well, except I'll let some else do the driving! I've checked out a company that takes a small group by van to Inuvik and then by plane to Tuktoyaktuk. (You also fly back to Whitehorse from Inuvik.)

Phil.
08-07-2017, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I want to see goats in trees.
08-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
There's so much to see in just the USA that I know I will never have time to see the entire world.

When I retire in a few years I am considering selling everything, buying an RV, and touring the USA and Canada for a few years. Averaging 2 weeks in each of the 48 contiguous states would fill nearly 2 years plus more time needed for Canada and Alaska.
Perfectly sound reasoning - for us living on the other side of an ocean there are enough good reasons to visit North America. And likewise plenty of things to see at home for us as well.

And I must say, touring the continent for a couple of years sounds like an adventure of a lifetime