QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Morocco, then?
Yes, Morocco.
08-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Sounds like a plan--and more likely than the alternatives. A funny thing I noticed is that many of my dream destinations are mountainous but I'm seriously scared of heights.
I wholeheartedly agree with the Norway trip, A land of stunning beauty almost everywhere you go, for a special treat I'd try to make it out to the Lofoten Islands, simply breathtaking

---------- Post added 08-07-17 at 11:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
My sights are currently set on doing a bit of walking in Nepal followed by some time at Chitwan and Bardia National Parks - maybe in the northern spring to catch the rhododendrons in flower. Africa - particularly Namibia and Botswana are a high priority. I would go back to Borneo any time. I have done southern Europe a couple of times and would go back to Rome/Italy any time. Haven't been to Greece yet so it will probably be next. But my list could go on forever. Did I mention Finland?
I do agree on Finland not exactly coming to most people's mind for a destination but it does have it's merits for sure. I'd myself like to go there but I'd have to lie about to my friends, if they found out I was going there they'd disown me hahaha. long held Swedish - Finnish issues at play hahaha
08-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #19
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finland .... Northern lights?

I am a nature/wildlife person so it was more of a summer trip I had in mind. But my grandchildren want to have a white Christmas some time soon and we have been invited to tag along. So maybe it will be Northern Lights.

08-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
I wholeheartedly agree with the Norway trip, A land of stunning beauty almost everywhere you go, for a special treat I'd try to make it out to the Lofoten Islands, simply breathtaking
Thanks for the encouragement regarding Norway--especially noting you're in Sweden.
08-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Travel bucket wishlist? My top 3 place are: France, Japan, and Italy
08-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #22
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
Finland .... I'd myself like to go there
I will send you an invite if I ever make it But on an unrelated topic, if you ever decide to be a "shoe tourist" I recommend Salamanca in Spain. Apart from the beautiful university with 13th century graffiti, it has (according to my wife) the most amazing shoe shops. Thank goodness the day she decided to do her buying was a public holiday and the shops were closed. It could have cost me several Pentax bodies!

08-07-2017, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bucket list trip

I want to fly into Arusha and take two weeks on safari in Ngorongoro Crater Park, Lake Manyara, and Serengeti with my own driver and Land Rover.
08-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I will send you an invite if I ever make it But on an unrelated topic, if you ever decide to be a "shoe tourist" I recommend Salamanca in Spain. Apart from the beautiful university with 13th century graffiti, it has (according to my wife) the most amazing shoe shops. Thank goodness the day she decided to do her buying was a public holiday and the shops were closed. It could have cost me several Pentax bodies!
omg hahaha, lucky for you the shops were closed but I definitely feel your wife's pain, nothing worse than coming home sans shoes when yer on shoe safari hahahahaha but I had never considered being a "shoe tourists" before, that def is on my short list now
08-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Monument Valley.

Everything else I can look at a photo.
08-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Lets start out by saying the whole state of utah usa driven through there but want to do a photo/hiking/camping trip, now moving north id like to do glacier national park, then ill hop the boarder into canada pick up some maple treats and do the national parks up there, then id head east and take a trip to iceland( would want to see the northern lights at the same time), id like to visit the continents that ive not been to which are Australia and Antarctica, lastly id like to visit scottland/ireland/ and the uk for their old architecture.

08-08-2017, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #27
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I want to fly into Arusha and take two weeks on safari in Ngorongoro Crater Park, Lake Manyara, and Serengeti with my own driver and Land Rover.
Highly recommended! You might want to throw in Tarangire as well. A scenic park with lots of baobabs, and close to Lake Manyara anyway.

Two weeks on safari none stop is quite long, though. All your senses are constantly being bombarded; the sights, the sounds, the smells, the dust, the freezing mornings, the midday heat, the being buffeted around on bumpy roads all day. I would plan for a little break in the middle to avoid being burnt out. And maybe a few days relaxing at the end to let it all soak in before the trip home.
08-08-2017, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An exploration of the Roman Road system - that is, some of the original and relatively unmolested parts, probably in the North of Italy.
08-08-2017, 06:48 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tanzanian safari

Highly recommended! You might want to throw in Tarangire as well. A scenic park with lots of baobabs, and close to Lake Manyara anyway.

Two weeks on safari none stop is quite long, though. All your senses are constantly being bombarded; the sights, the sounds, the smells, the dust, the freezing mornings, the midday heat, the being buffeted around on bumpy roads all day. I would plan for a little break in the middle to avoid being burnt out. And maybe a few days relaxing at the end to let it all soak in before the trip home.
Yes, I have already done this twice before, and everything you say is quite correct. The long treks over dusty gravel roads are the most grueling for me. The next time, I would schedule more downtime, maybe a couple day's rest at Ma Gibb's Farm or the government hotel overlooking the crater--some reading, some bird watching, some walking about between game park tours, maybe a day of leisure and shopping in Arusha.

This time, I might even pay a little extra for an air conditioned Toyota Land Cruiser instead of an open non-air-conditioned Land Rover! I would try to fly in and out of Arusha, and if I did not see Dar Es Salaam, that would be soon enough for me!
08-08-2017, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
An exploration of the Roman Road system - that is, some of the original and relatively unmolested parts, probably in the North of Italy.
now that is something I'd love to do, I love history/architecture,etc and actually even getting lost off the beaten path. I don't ever do the normal tourist type travel, I just randomly head off in a direction without consideration as to where I'll end up, call it spontaneous adventure travel if you will. makes life so much more enjoyable when you are forced to live among and interact with, the locals.....