5.South America
6.Borneo
7.Scottland
8.Madeira (done 2018)

08-29-2018, 04:18 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that the list does get longer rather than shorter the more places you go!

If I had to boil the list down, for the bigger goals it would be:

Climb Mt Kilimanjaro ( and see the Great Rift Valley whilst in the area )
See one of the BIG waterfalls, either Victoria or Iguazu Falls
Visit Ankor Wat ( I've long been fascinated by ancient empires & ruins. I've had the privilege of visiting Machu Picchu, which was awesome )
See both the Southern and Northern Lights
Do a road trip across the breadth of the USA
Dive the wrecks at Truk Cove, Caroline Islands
I've also had an odd fascination with Namibia and the Skeleton Coast even since reading an old Reader's Digest article about it

For things a little closer to home it would be:

Drive around Australia
Complete all of the "Great Walks" of New Zealand ( 3 down, 1 happening later this year, many more to go! )
08-30-2018, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #48
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, my bucket list would be quite long! Having worked hard to tick items off hasn't really helped, since I just want to go back again Off the top of my head, and in no particular order:
- Katavi, Ruaha, and Selous national parks, Tanzania
- Volcanoes national park, Rwanda
- Laikipia plateau, Kenya
- Matusadona and Hwange national parks, as well as a return to Mana Pools, Zimbabwe
- Kafue, Liuwa, and North Luangwa national parks, and back to South Luangwa, Zambia
- Pantanal wetlands, Brazil
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Galápagos Islands, Equador
- Gonarezu national park, Mozambique
- Seychelle Islands
- A return to Cape Verde, especially Santo Antão
- ...to be continued!

Almost forgot - I really want to cross Central Kalahari, Botswana, going up from Kgalagadi transfrontier park through the desert to Makgadikgadi. Not recommended to do with just one vehicle, though, so it takes a bit of preparation.
An addition to my list; there are some 4-day treks in the Kruger national park. 4-8 participants, two rangers, you carry your own stuff. Sounds like quite an adventure. I would really like to go on one of those.
08-30-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #49
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Focusrite Quote
Climb Mt Kilimanjaro ( and see the Great Rift Valley whilst in the area )
It's a nice climb, especially if you choose one of the less used routes. I think Mt Meru is even nicer as a hike, and can provide some stunning views as the sun rises over Kilimanjaro. But it's not nearly as tall, of course.

See one of the BIG waterfalls, either Victoria or Iguazu Falls
I've never been to Igazu, but Victoria is mighty! Should be seen both at maximum and minimum flow. At max it's just a massive thundering cloud of water rattling your bones. At minimum you cat get a good view of the gorge and even walk along the top of the falls on the Zambian side.

I've also had an odd fascination with Namibia and the Skeleton Coast even since reading an old Reader's Digest article about it
I love Namibia. Haven't spent too much time on the coast, though.

11-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #50
Forum Member

Grand Canyon And camp out with the family with my Land Rover...If it makes it there...
11-15-2018, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiGlass Quote
Grand Canyon And camp out with the family with my Land Rover...If it makes it there...
Isn't dealing with a Land Rover's electricals an adventure in itself, AsahiGlass?
11-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
dealing
yes you are correct!

11-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After a late start in life, I have been bitten by the travel bug in recent years. Work only allows relatively brief time windows, so little tastes of places are just serving to whet my appetite to go back. So far (since July 2016):

SW England and Ireland. We met with utak in London, and robbiec in Cork.
Northern Italy
Beijing to Fukuoka by ship (must go back to Japan for a proper trip)

Next week(!) I'm off to Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Ushuaia and Antarctica. Over Christmas and New Year we will be cruising around New Zealand on the same ship as the Asian sojourn of last year (my daughter works on The Ovation of the Seas).
Next June we'll do London, Le Mans (for the 24 hour race) and Paris.
A conference in Prague in 2020 will provide an opportunity to see bits of Switzerland, Austria and Germany on the way.

Shock! Horror! I still haven't been to the USA. As a climber, Yosemite is high on my (long) list of back country destinations, and my wife would insist on the Big Apple. I have a close cousin in Rhode Island, and there are several Pentax Forums contacts I'd be keen to visit
Western Canada to Alaska by sea would be amazing, and the arctic NE of Canada also has a pull.
Iceland, Norway, etc in winter to chase the northern lights, and again in autumn for the scenery.

Going deeper into some of these places will have to wait for retirement
11-20-2018, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #54
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Next week(!) I'm off to Buenos Aires, Iguazu Falls, Ushuaia and Antarctica.
No envy here. Not a trace. No, sirree...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Over Christmas and New Year we will be cruising around New Zealand on the same ship as the Asian sojourn of last year (my daughter works on The Ovation of the Seas).
Not over that either But hey, I haven't even cruised our own coastline, so who am I to complain!

Isn't it good, though, to have both the urge and the possibility to go places, even if it's just for too-short visits.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful South American and Antarctic adventure - looking forward to seeing an image or two when you return
11-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I wanr to do a "cruise" down the Mekong - unfortunately SWMBO's state of health makes that difficult to plan ATM
11-20-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
looking forward to seeing an image or two when you return
I plan to do better than that. The ship is apparently very well equipped, so regular highlights will be uploaded as we go.
11-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canada
Lake Tahoe
Lagos Portugal
Patagonia
Newfoundland
Galapagos
West Ukraine
11-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Canada
Lake Tahoe
Lagos Portugal
Patagonia
Newfoundland
Galapagos
West Ukraine

"Canada" is a big hunk to take on. Aside from southern Ontario where we live, trips we have done include British Columbia and Haida Gwaii, the Canadian Rockies, Yukon, Bathurst Inlet on the Arctic coast, fall in the southern Saskatchewan prairies, NW Ontario, and Newfoundland. Future trips include the Alberta badlands, the Gaspe Peninsula and the Cabot Trail. Then I'm sure we will find more places to go!
11-21-2018, 07:42 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Ireland
Kyoto, Japan
Alaska
Venice, Italy
Tasmania
Grand Canyon rim-to-rim hike

My deepest, bottom of the bucket place is Heard Island in the middle of the southern Indian Ocean but getting there won't be easy!

I'd also enjoy returning to Singapore, Hong Kong, London, New Zealand, and Iceland.
11-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #60

My number one in my bucket-list is Machu Picchu, Peru. Its nature, ancient culture and mystery mesmerize me.