Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2019, 03:36 AM   #46
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just returned from our African Safari - traveling through the Kansas City Airport, O'Hare ( Chicago ), Schipol ( Amsterdam ), Kilimanjaro International and Julius Nyerere International ( both in Tanzania )

no problems to report except:

as has happened before, Kansas City was not staffing " prechek " lane

on our return through O'Hare, the TSA " prechek " station did not have any trays to use,

told to put loose stuff into our carry on items, mine were too full so I put loose stuff in a base ball cap

didn't stay in it of course but I did get every thing back

then I discovered all the trays were stacked at the end of the security check point ????

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-07-2019 at 05:11 AM.
09-02-2019, 05:09 AM   #47
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
recently complied info on airline carry on luggage:

best thing to do is contact the air line you are traveling on

according to this article dated April of 2019

here are the current boarding procedures and carry on restrictions for many US air lines:

QuoteQuote:
Zone 1 or Group E? Making Sense of the New Boarding Rules
Airlines have been toying with boarding plans and line-jumping shortcuts since they began charging for checked bags 10 years ago. Here, the latest changes and how to make them work for you.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/travel/airplane-airport-boarding.html?fal...gtype=Homepage

it has no information regarding weight restrictions for carry on

Airline Carry-on Luggage Size Restrictions: What You Need to Know
BY LINDSAY TIGAR AUGUST 05, 2019

QuoteQuote:
What is the weight limit for carry-on luggage?
For many major domestic airlines — think: Delta, Southwest, JetBlue — there are no weight restrictions for carry-on bags. You'll just have to be able to lift it above your head into the storage bin. And in most cases, even if airlines do list a specific pound or kilogram limit on their websites, they likely won't weigh your carry-on bags. As long as your pack doesn’t appear to be overstuffed, you’re probably OK. Weight is much more important for small commuter planes, mostly due to safety regulations.
QuoteQuote:
What is a personal item?
In addition to your carry-on suitcase, many airlines also allow a personal item. This can be a laptop bag, a purse, a briefcase, a beach bag — whatever you like, as long as it is generally small. Personal item restrictions vary by airline, and some choose not to include any specifics at all. In those cases, the general rule of thumb is an item smaller in dimension and weight than your carry-on bag. For families flying with a stroller or diaper bag or those traveling with uncommon additions like a wedding dress or an instrument can rest assured that most carriers will let you bring these along with your carry-on luggage and your personal item, but we recommend you contact the airline in advance to confirm this.

Travel retailer eBags compiled this super-helpful list of carry-on luggage regulations for the most popular airlines. On their site, each airline's specific requirements are shoppable
https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/travel-bags/airline-carry-on-luggage-size-guide

this site does include weight restriction limits of carry on by specific air lines

A Carry-on Luggage Size Guide by Airline | Travel + Leisure

QuoteQuote:
Carry-On Luggage Regulations
Our chart lists many common airlines and their carry-on size and weight restrictions. For a more complete look at your airline’s luggage restrictions by class, active duty passenger discounts, pet regulations and international travel, please refer to our active list of airline charts below.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/travel-bags/airline-carry-on-luggage-size-guide

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-06-2019 at 07:01 AM.
09-05-2019, 08:30 PM   #48
Forum Member

Lets see....Porsche 944 full exhaust system from Florida to Canada...took a little explaining at check in

Athens got suspicious when my Sony camera bag had a lower compartment...they thought I was hiding something. They were OK with the camera but found a very small set of screwdrivers....they took that away...as screwdrivers...even 3 inch ones...are not allowed on planes...but the next airline ws able to get them back for me.

Once in the 70's had a typewriter case converted to a camera bag with 2 layers of foam cutouts….security called me over for a private interrogation.

Took my camera bag with all my k1 equipment...just a tad heavy....check in counter weighed it....over weight...moved things to other bag...still got on bag...I learned to not walk up with your bag on your back.

Heathrow was the best...my complete bag got through the scanner and was redirected for hand inspection. Security guard was very nice...turns out everything was fine except the little bottle of lens cleaner that showed up on xray !

Never been asked to take camera or equipment out of my bag....simply gets scanned.

Would never think of taking a tripod on as carry on....too many rules in too many countries and could be considered a weapon (had that happen in NYC where they would not let me take a collapsible golf putter on the plane.
09-06-2019, 06:54 AM   #49
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
. . . screwdrivers...even 3 inch ones...are not allowed on planes... the little bottle of lens cleaner . . . a tripod on as carry on....too many rules in too many countries and could be considered a weapon. . . .
what I am concerned about trying to get a monopod or tripod through security is what do you do if they say no?

your checked luggage is long gone

do you try to buy a shipping box

tag it, with or without a box, and have it put into cargo

what ????

so I err on the side of caution - no tripod, monopod, tools or liquids in carry on, all in checked baggage and I hope it is all there when I get the checked luggage back

so far, knock on wood, I have never been asked about weight of my carry on

check post # 47

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-travel-events-groups/355042-experienc...ml#post4716312

09-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
what I am concerned about trying to get a monopod or tripod through security is what do you do if they say no?

your checked luggage is long gone

do you try to buy a shipping box

tag it, with or without a box, and have it put into cargo

what ????

so I err on the side of caution - no tripod, monopod, tools or liquids in carry on, all in checked baggage and I hope it is all there when I get the checked luggage back

check post # 47

experiences traveling on airlines with cameras - PentaxForums.com
In the case of the screwdriver...security took possession of it and let me through

But...the golf putter was purchased as a gift...came with 2 balls and an automatic putter return in a beautiful wooden box 1ftX1 ft. US security actually said the wooden box was not a security risk, the balls were not a risk, just the collapsing putter. In order to not miss my plane I told them to just keep the whole thing. Except that is not how it works. The rule is that I must go back to the airline check in, get them to find my checked baggage, put the item into my baggage, and return with proof this was done! So I rush back to the counter and found a very sympathetic customer service rep. She actually had the same thing happen. She graduated in music, decided to learn how to tune pianos and work at the airline full time for now. She purchased in NYC a tuning hammer (a few inches in length), took it on as carry on...and security found it. No hammers allowed on planes. So she had to do exactly the same thing as me. She was able to retrieve my bag, put the item into the bag, and then take me back to security and get me through. So tripods, knives (even plastic), screwdrivers, tripods, etc, all in check in luggage.
09-09-2019, 03:29 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Don't try that in Australia or New Zealand. 7kg hand luggage limit enforced. Gone are the days that you can walk in with a socket set, a Y-block V8 water pump, a '84 GM Ambulance alternator and chrome bezels for a 1948 petrol bowser, all in your hand luggage.
09-09-2019, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Don't try that in Australia or New Zealand. 7kg hand luggage limit enforced. . . . :
I've got no problem with rules being applied

equally

so long as the knowledge of the rules is easily obtainable.
09-11-2019, 03:40 AM   #53
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
speaking of rules being equally applied across the country - the dead line for " Real ID " is approaching:
QuoteQuote:
TRAVEL THE MIDDLE SEAT
Plan Ahead to Avoid This Frustration at the Airport
After nearly 15 years, the deadline to get a REAL ID driver’s license is finally approaching; travelers without one will have to use their passports even for domestic flights

. . . A major hassle is coming for millions of travelers: Your driver’s license may not be accepted as valid identification at TSA checkpoints 13 months from now.

Unless the federal government delays new requirements again—but don’t count on that.

The Oct. 1, 2020, deadline has the potential to create chaos at airports and disrupt travel significantly. Some estimates suggest half of all travelers may have driver’s licenses that don’t comply with requirements called REAL ID. You can quickly tell if you comply by looking for a star in the upper-right corner of your driver’s license.

Unless you can use a passport, active military ID or enhanced driver’s license (one with limited passport information embedded) as identification after the deadline, you may show up at the airport and get subjected to secondary screening. Worse, you may not be able to fly. Secondary screening usually involves an interview and efforts to verify identity, and most checkpoints have limited capacity to do that. If there are too many people without IDs, ticketed passengers will be turned away.
Plan Ahead to Avoid This Frustration at the Airport - WSJ

10-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #54
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
similar thread

Airport security/shenanigans - PentaxForums.com
10-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Apply for global entry will much easy travel