Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DFW to Chicago

This summer I had 4 trips between DFW and Chi and each time there wasn't an issue with my camera equipment, however my laptop, belt, shoes and Tom Clancy novel were a different story

12-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KA5TXL Quote
This summer I had 4 trips between DFW and Chi and each time there wasn't an issue with my camera equipment, however my laptop, belt, shoes and Tom Clancy novel were a different story
Tom Clancy novel?
Was it a particularly heavy book? Did they think you were going to drop it on someone's foot?
12-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tom Clancy novel?
Was it a particularly heavy book? Did they think you were going to drop it on someone's foot?
was it a true Tom Clancy novel or one of those Tom Clancy with xxxx ?

I have read all of the former and none of the latter
12-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
was it a true Tom Clancy novel or one of those Tom Clancy with xxxx ?

I have read all of the former and none of the latter
Tom Clancy drinks xxxx?

So you learn something new every day.

12-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Tom Clancy drinks xxxx?

So you learn something new every day.
Tom Clancy novel written by tom and someone else

and up here it dos XX

https://www.dosequis.com/age-gate?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dosequis.com%2F

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Most_Interesting_Man_in_the_World
02-09-2019, 01:51 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An update for you all on our experiences last year. We transited a number of airports in Australia and USA on both domestic and International flights. Australian domestic the worst for backpacks as they are trying to find ways to enhance income and will charge you extra if they possibly can, Jetstar particularly, they will weigh your carry on at the gate.
We had no issues at all in the USA, used Alaska, Southwest (an experience) & Hawaiian (a very good airline).
02-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
does any one know of a way of determining the size of plane ( and the actual size of any overhead storage bins in the plane) you expect to fly.

my " home " air port is Kansas City International ( MCO ) and I have had to fly the first and last legs of my journeys on some smaller planes with little or no overhead bin spaces

I hate gate checking my camera back pack and praying that there is no damage to my gear.

the following is from TSA dated July 2018:

" Carry On Luggage Size: TSA and Airline Dimensions "

https://tsatraveltips.us/carry-on-luggage-size/

includes info by name of domestic and international air lines and how to " properly measure your carry on luggage "

and this info re: gate checks

Gate Checked Bags
Remember, even if your bag fits within your airlines specified dimensions and weight limit, you may still be asked to check or gate check your bag if the flight is full or it is an older, smaller plane. Not all planes have large enough overhead storage compartments to accommodate full sized carry on luggage. However, if you checked ahead and are sure your bag is eligible, you should not be assessed an extra fee in these circumstances.

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-09-2019 at 06:58 AM.
02-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Australian domestic the worst for backpacks as they are trying to find ways to enhance income and will charge you extra if they possibly can, Jetstar particularly, they will weigh your carry on at the gate.
Yup. And what makes it worse is that their carry on size is smaller than the pretty standard international carry on size. I've been caught out flying domestic in Australia a few times. International - never a problem.
03-21-2019, 07:46 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Took a KX with me to New York, for the first time in 2 decades, with 135mm film. Shot 5 rolls in a few days, far more than I usually do.
Film had to go through the security scanner (camera did not have to be taken out). Severe fogging of the film, even though it was only 100 ISO (Ektar) and I had bought the film in New York, so it only went through security once.
Serious disappointment. Never had this with 120 film (when hand inspection was denied to me), perhaps the metal canister encourages cranking up the xray.
03-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #40
ne!
Forum Member

I flew out of LaGuardia (Terminal B) a couple days ago with 12 lbs. of FF Pentax gear in a backpack. It went right through the x-ray machine and came out the other side without ever being opened.
04-24-2019, 02:04 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
latest info ( that I know of ) re: carry on size limitations and boarding groups for US airlines:

Zone 1 or Group E? Making Sense of the New Boarding Rules - The New York Times
05-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #42

The only place I have been asked to take my camera gear out of the bag has been in Berlin a few years ago
05-14-2019, 12:14 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I sometimes travel with quite a lot of equipment and have sometimes been asked to open the bag for inspection and swabbing for explosive residue. Not a problem at all.

Asking for films to be hand-checked rather than put through the x-ray machine is another matter.
05-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2016 England/Ireland: K-1, DA10-17, DFA15-30, FA31, DA*55, FA77, DA55-300
2017 Italy: KP, DA10-17, DA15, DA21, FA31, DA35, FA43, DA*55, FA77, DA55-300
2017 China: K-1, DFA15-30, FA31, DA*55, FA77, DA*300
2018 Argentina/Antarctica: K-1 and KP, DFA15-30, DA15, DA21, DA35, DFA28-105, DA*55, DFA150-450

No problem getting the gear through security or customs on any of those trips.

Mind you, I'm pretty obsessive about weight and size limits. But the actual contents have never raised concern.
06-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #45
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
just got back from Denver

Kansas City to Denver and back

no problem with camera gear, no inspection at all, just went through detector with no problems

I am part of TSA's precheck program and I did tell them it was camera gear when I put it through