Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2017, 03:43 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looking for bag advice and experiences

I am currently preplanning a vacation and I am looking for advice for a larger back pack. I need something that will pass as a " carry on " item and generally fit safely in the over head bin.

I currently have a Lowepro flipside 400 AW but when I load it up for a planned vacation to photograph whales, it gets real " tight "

K 3 and K 5 II with battery grips, Optech USA utility slings and Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plates for each camera

Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA prime

SMC Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm prime

SMC Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro prime

HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 16 - 85 mm wr

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW

HD Pentax-D FA 4.5 - 5.6 150-450mm ED DC AW

HD Pentax -DA af rear converter 1.4 AW

does anyone have experience with the next larger Lowepro flipside: the 500 AW or the new 500 AW II

I like the Lowepro's fit and straps so I am not looking to switch brands

11-18-2017, 05:00 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
That all fits to a 400 AW??? mine can barely fit with similar items minus DFA 15-450 and plus sigma 30mm art.

I have tried 500 AW and if you have longer, larger lenses it was a sensible choice. However, i found it slightly too big for a backpack also it is too big for on-cabin luggage for some airlines. Apparently 500 AW 2 is even better and has a 15" laptop place.

If you don't have back problems, don't mind the bulk go for it, Flipsides are awesome. On the other hand, you can spend a bit more and get yourself a roller/backpack hybrid.
11-18-2017, 05:19 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
That all fits to a 400 AW??? mine can barely fit with similar items minus DFA 15-450 and plus sigma 30mm art.

I have tried 500 AW and if you have longer, larger lenses it was a sensible choice. However, i found it slightly too big for a backpack also it is too big for on-cabin luggage for some airlines. Apparently 500 AW 2 is even better and has a 15" laptop place.

If you don't have back problems, don't mind the bulk go for it, Flipsides are awesome. On the other hand, you can spend a bit more and get yourself a roller/backpack hybrid.
in the US, my usual carry one is a leather duffle bag and the photographic back pack is my " + one " - so another roller back won't pass inspection, thanks for the thought

outside the US I had to check the duffle bag but since it was a straight flight I wasn't worried it would end up lost

yes, I can get it all to fit, one camera body attached to the 150-450 lens, the d fa * 70 - 200 2.8 along side that ( after removing some of the separation panels ) with the other camera body on the opposite side, then the other lenses stacked in the remaining space

very tight and I have to squeeze to get the bag zipped but it holds without a problem

heavy, you bet, but the Lowepro adjustable shoulder, waist and chest straps work well for me to adjust the load and in air ports, I've been lucky and able to grab an empty luggage cart which helps out a lot with our carry on.

and when I get to my destination I don't have to carry the full load on my bag, a smaller back pack can be placed, along with monopod and/or tripod with checked luggage so I can switch out if necessary.

I had heard the 500 AW II was better but I have no place locally to check it out.
11-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still use an original LowePro Trekker. For short trips I use a LowePro 100 AW Sling, but it's too small for more than a couple of lenses. I also have a 300 AW but it is too big and clumsy. Typically I fill the 100 with the following:
  • DA 12-24, DA* 16-50, DA 55-300 or
  • DA* 16-50, FA 100 macro, Takumar 55/1.8 with adapter, or
  • DA 12-24, FA 100 macro, DA 55-300.
  • DA* 16-50, Tak 55/1.8, AF 540 FGZ flash.

My Trekker gets everything in my signature except the film bodies - and I could put a couple of them in the front pocket if I needed to. It is carry on on some airlines in some classes. My wife bought it for me back in the 1990's.

PS: I seem to be a LowePro fan, too ...

I haven't done an airline check with the AW 300 sling, but it might pass. I could load it with a selection from my signature if that would be helpful, and let you know the results.

11-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
That all fits to a 400 AW??? . . .
two photos

as i said, tight

[ pictured ]

K 5 II + 40mm XS 2.8

K 3 + D FA 150-450mm ( foot removed )

D FA *70-200mm with foot

D FA 100mm macro 2.8 (not WR)

Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm 2.0 P/KA

DA 16-85mm + DA 1.4 rear converter

note

this is the equipment I plan on taking on our whale watching tour and although there is over lap, I want the ability to have " fast" lens as well as lens with " length " so that is why I am trying to carry the two big lenses ( and why I might swap the 40 mm XS 2.8 for the DA 50mm 1.8 if I can find the room )

the two camera bodies are because I can avoid trying to switch lenses for different situations as well as in case one fails.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 

Last edited by Aslyfox; 11-19-2017 at 06:55 AM.
12-03-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have taken to putting my electronics, camera gear and misc loose stuff into zip-lock type bags & fitting into camera case, back pack, whatever. If requested by TSA, easy to pull out bags and place in trays. Keeps stuff together too. (same procedure with clothes, etc). When we air travel ( we do a lot), I use a Rick Steves Classic Backpack carry-on ($65 - $80). My LowePro Messenger 250 fits tightly at the bottom, leaving room for a Jansen day pack with flight stuff and coats (or maybe more camera gear). Have to rearrange the load once past security but this works very nicely for me, leaving hands free for other luggage or helping spouse upon arrival.
If you are going to Alaska for whales, send a PM as we spent 12 summers (3 - 5 months each) on our cruising boat in the Inside Passage - from Seattle to Skagway and points in between. Orcas, Humpbacks, Minke, Dall, common & White-sided porpoises, sea & river otters, seals, sea lions - seen them all multiple times, multiple places. And birds, birds, birds.
12-15-2017, 05:11 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
any one had any experience with one of these?

a Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack

B & H has it on sale and I had a recent interesting chat with them

(BTW, they are very helpful chatting about their items )

Boyd H : The Ruggard is a bit bigger. Lowepro generally makes better packs than Ruggard.

Me : better packs how?

Boyd H : They're both just small enough to carry on.

Boyd H : Better construction

Me : I have a Lowepro flipside 400 AW and the gear I need to take barely fits into it. so are these two packs bigger than that

Boyd H : The Flipside 400 is 11.9 x 10 x 18.1"; the Flipside 500 is 12.6 x 12.8 x 21.65"

Boyd H : The Ruggard is 13.0 x 9.25 x 20.5"

Me : do you have interior measurements, I mean cargo space

Boyd H : Ruggard: 12.0 x 6.5 x 19.5" /; Flipside 500: 11.81 x 7.48 x 18.9"

Me : real close what is warranty for Ruggard and Lowepro what is B&H return policy?

Boyd H : Ruggard has a 5-year warranty; Lowepro is lifetime warranty.

---------- Post added 12-15-17 at 06:14 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zoneV Quote
I have taken to putting my electronics, camera gear and misc loose stuff into zip-lock type bags & fitting into camera case, back pack, whatever. If requested by TSA, easy to pull out bags and place in trays. Keeps stuff together too. (same procedure with clothes, etc). When we air travel ( we do a lot), I use a Rick Steves Classic Backpack carry-on ($65 - $80). My LowePro Messenger 250 fits tightly at the bottom, leaving room for a Jansen day pack with flight stuff and coats (or maybe more camera gear). Have to rearrange the load once past security but this works very nicely for me, leaving hands free for other luggage or helping spouse upon arrival.
If you are going to Alaska for whales, send a PM as we spent 12 summers (3 - 5 months each) on our cruising boat in the Inside Passage - from Seattle to Skagway and points in between. Orcas, Humpbacks, Minke, Dall, common & White-sided porpoises, sea & river otters, seals, sea lions - seen them all multiple times, multiple places. And birds, birds, birds.
we went on a " inland passage " cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage in 2011 on a Holland America ship

stopped at Juneau and went a little north to Auk Bay and out on a whale watching trip, saw humpbacks " bubble feeding " and a mother and calf jumping in another location

unforgettable
12-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
photos of the two backpacks are posted in this thread which is about back packs on sale currently:

Good discounts on some backpacks at BH - PentaxForums.com

12-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
decision is made

when ever I buy a back pack I first look for features that makes the pack useful for carrying the load such as

waist straps
The majority of a backpack's weight, 80 percent or more, should be supported by your hips.

Load Lifter Straps
These are stitched into the top of the shoulder straps, and they connect to the top of the pack frame. Ideally, they will form a 45° angle between your shoulder straps and the pack. Kept snug (but not too tight), they prevent the upper portion of a pack from pulling away from your body, which would cause the pack to sag on your lumbar region.

Sternum Strap
This mid-chest strap allows you to connect your shoulder straps, which can boost your stability. It can be useful to do so when traveling on uneven cross-country terrain where an awkward move could cause your pack to shift abruptly and throw you off-balance.

all such features tend to lead to the Ruggard

although it is bigger ( potential problem as carry on ) and only has a 5 year warranty as compared to the Lowepro

Last edited by Aslyfox; 01-01-2018 at 11:37 AM.
01-02-2018, 03:35 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bad news for some

B & H has ended its sale on this item