Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Utah Photo trip need some help planning

Hello All

I'm having a difficult time planning my trip to Utah in a little over a week. Ive never really spent time there before and there is so much to see, but not much time to do it all. I really only have 3 full days to see something. On top of it all I'm also not sure on what I should bring because I'm not sure on what I should see. Its a photo trip, looking at hopefully creating a 40 x 30 picture when I'm done if all goes well. So I figure Ill be doing some waiting in a few areas either waiting on conditions or people. The best part I'm not rushed and eventually will go back, but with that in mind I'm not sure on where I should direct my trip.

I know I want to go to Zion and angels Landing, that will take a day to hike? would it be worth it to go for sunrise, or sunset? what would be the best focal lengths?
Is there other trails in that park that are worth the effort?
Is zion a park where you wont be able to get it all in, in one day and I should spend multiple days there?

What other places should I go that would be worth it for Pictures? Bryce? is that a multiple day park or worth it for a large print?

Any places that would be worth some night shots?

What focal lengths should I focus on with out needing to crop or crop heavily? More wide, normal, or telephoto Views?

The items I'm taking So far
Warm clothes
Backpack
Water
Tripod
Good pair of boots and socks

I know I'm not going to see it all but trying to make the most of all my time there. Any advice would be great.

11-25-2017, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some relevant reading: Planning my sunsets and sunrises on a trip through Utah. - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 02:38 PM ----------

And this one:. Ideal lens kit to Zion/Bryce/SLC in December, and camera backpack recomm. - PentaxForums.com
11-25-2017, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote

I know I want to go to Zion and angels Landing, that will take a day to hike?

would it be worth it to go for sunrise, or sunset?

what would be the best focal lengths?

Is zion a park where you wont be able to get it all in, in one day and I should spend multiple days there?

What other places should I go that would be worth it for Pictures? Bryce? is that a multiple day park or worth it for a large print?

What focal lengths should I focus on with out needing to crop or crop heavily? More wide, normal, or telephoto Views?
Zion: There are some shorter hikes that you can do in a couple hours, but getting to the top is the best view - plan for all day as you will be pretty tired by the end. I would recommend one day for a long hike, and another day for 2 smaller ones (The Watchman) and another.

Focal length: Whatever you like. I would recommend something wide like the 12-24.

Bryce Canyon also has long hikes (8 miles), and shorter ones. There are nice views from the roadside turnouts, too.

Here are a few, using up the attachment space Rupert gave me:

Observation Point. 4 hours up. Looking toward Angel's Landing.
Name:  090504-8730ObsTopSWView.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  314.0 KB

Weeping Rock, near the trailhead for Observation Point.
Name:  090504-8743WeepingRock.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  371.2 KB

Emerald Pools trail.
Name:  090503-8595Emerald3People.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  256.9 KB

The Watchman trail.
Name:  090503-8641WManNView.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  249.5 KB

Bryce Canyon Fairyland trail (8 miles).
Name:  090505-8890FLandTrail.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  333.9 KB

Fairyland.
Name:  090505-8920FLandTreeTrail.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  125.5 KB

Natural Bridge, near a road turnout.
Name:  090505-8955NaturalBridge.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  209.2 KB

Navajo Trail.
Name:  090506-9041NavTrPeople.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  295.6 KB

"Wall Street" on Navajo trail.
Name:  090506-9065NavTrWallSt.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  145.5 KB

Navajo trail.
Name:  090506-9089NavTrThorsHammer.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  208.8 KB

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-25-2017 at 01:04 PM.
11-25-2017, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

40x30 is pretty large, what body do you have? Have you printed that large with it before?

My three lens kit is the sigma 10-20 f3.5, HD DA20-40 Limited, and the DA*50-135 and a 2x teleconverter with my K-30. For a trip like that my primary would be the 20-40.

11-25-2017, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unless you get bored extremely easily, stick to Zion -- 3 days will only just get you started there. By all means hike Angel's Landing, but IMO (having never done the hike, but having read and seen plenty about it) it is much more about the hike than about opportunities for compelling photographs. Of course the park isn't at its most crowded in December, but even so Angel's Landing is considered "must-do" by many, so it's bound to be a busy trail.

In the thread UncleVanya linked to above I made a post which I'll add a bit to here. If you go to Zion for golden hour photography you're looking in the wrong place (although there are opportunities outside the main canyon). For an alternative way of thinking about the park, check out Ben Horne's YouTube channel. It's irrelevant that he is a large-format film photographer; the point is how to find the fantastic reflected light the park offers throughout the day (if it is sunny).

Consider the Narrows hike; it is unique, and very special. Allow a full day. You can rent an appropriate kit (dry pants, etc.) at one or more outfitters in Springdale.

If you see a guy with a Pentax 645N, say hello, because it might be me; I'm getting in on the 6th. I will probably have a goofy grin on my face, because that is what generally happens when I visit Zion. It is like a theme park for landscape/nature photographers.

Lens kit: go with what you normally like to shoot; you can find opportunities to use any lens you bring. I haven't decided on my kit yet, but it will be something in my usual range of somewhat wide to somewhat tele.
11-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I know I want to go to Zion and angels Landing, that will take a day to hike? would it be worth it to go for sunrise, or sunset? what would be the best focal lengths?
It is winter there and trail access may be seasonal.

I spent 24 hours in Zion and left wishing I had spent more time there. Be aware that the canyons are quite deep and may stay heavily shaded this time of year. Photographer's Ephemeris may be helpful in determining when features in the park are sunlit.

The Photographer's Ephemeris - Web App
Again, that is a hard question since it is winter. Bryce is high elevation and can be quite snowy and is exceptionally beautiful in the snow. Park roads are plowed. Bryce is also a multi-day park simply because there is a lot packaged in a relatively small space and how it presents varies with the angle and direction of the sun.

As for other places...that is a loaded question with every answer prefixed with "well, it is winter". My short list of places I want to see or return to on my next trip include:
  • Zion
  • Bryce
  • Grand Staircase/Escalante NM (may be sketchy in winter with much requiring serious 4WD), at the least Utah 12 between Bryce and Torrey (likely not passable in winter much past the town of Boulder).
  • Vermillion Cliffs area (UT and AZ)
  • Paria and vicinity and area off towards Page, AZ...the whole thing
  • Capitol Reef NP (essentially unaccessable except by foot, horse, or 4WD)
  • MOAB!!! and vicinity. I could spend several weeks in Canyonlands alone.
  • Monument Valley
There is more of course

If you are flying into Las Vegas...Zion and/or Bryce. Alternatively, Death Valley.

If flying into Salt Lake City...all of the stuff I listed above is a long way away.

Steve
11-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Almost forgot...focal lengths! When I return, I intend to cover 17mm to 150mm with APS-C as well as fisheye.

Steve

11-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My recommendation would be to see as much as you can by not staying in any one park too long. I've had short visits that allowed me to see a number of spots and I've taken notes that are useful for planning future trips to the area. I've shot at both Bryce and Zion, and I've done it in one day at each park. If time was not a constraint I'd spend more time at each. Bryce is my favorite and the roadside turnouts provide excellent views so that saves a lot of time. There are some great spots for sunrise / sunset shots and they're easy to get to (i.e. sunrise point, sunset point). I've hiked in Bryce too, which generally means descending into the canyon. However, I think the best pictures are from the high spots that don't require a hike. At Zion you travel in the canyon and look up at the canyon walls. The views are great there also, but certainly different. I do believe there would be a lot of darker areas with the winter sun angle. The vast majority of my shots were wide-angle, generally around 24mm on full frame, but I also went wider. I really didn't need much other than wide angle. The Page, AZ area includes Big Bend and slot canyons which can be covered in a short time, but I'm not sure how much light would be in the slot canyons in the winter, or even if they're open. Big Bend only requires a short walk for a great view. I'd recommend a circular polarizer and I always travel with a backpack that makes hiking with a full set of equipment much easier for me. You're definitely going to one of the most photogenic areas in the nation.
11-25-2017, 09:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all that have commented so far it is helping tremendously. Keep the information flowing.

From the sounds of it, Zion is the place to be. With that in mind, looks like I will be staying around Zion and spending most of my time there. Also I will need to plan another trip for the other places. Bryce will be a nice addition as well. After looking at weather conditions, looks like it will be snowing in Bryce canyon right before I arrive so hopefully I will be getting snow shots(if it sticks) on the 6th. As far as the 7th and 8th goes, it will be spent at Zion national Park.

Now comes the point of deciding what trails to take.

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 10:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thank you those Discussions are helpful

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 10:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Zion: There are some shorter hikes that you can do in a couple hours, but getting to the top is the best view - plan for all day as you will be pretty tired by the end. I would recommend one day for a long hike, and another day for 2 smaller ones (The Watchman) and another.

Focal length: Whatever you like. I would recommend something wide like the 12-24.

Bryce Canyon also has long hikes (8 miles), and shorter ones. There are nice views from the roadside turnouts, too.

Here are a few, using up the attachment space Rupert gave me:

Observation Point. 4 hours up. Looking toward Angel's Landing.
Attachment 378247

Weeping Rock, near the trailhead for Observation Point.
Attachment 378248

Emerald Pools trail.
Attachment 378249

The Watchman trail.
Attachment 378250

Bryce Canyon Fairyland trail (8 miles).
Attachment 378251

Fairyland.
Attachment 378252

Natural Bridge, near a road turnout.
Attachment 378253

Navajo Trail.
Attachment 378254

"Wall Street" on Navajo trail.
Attachment 378255

Navajo trail.
Attachment 378256
Those shots are great, and might actually be sticking to your recommendation as far as how to spend my time wisely.

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
40x30 is pretty large, what body do you have? Have you printed that large with it before?

My three lens kit is the sigma 10-20 f3.5, HD DA20-40 Limited, and the DA*50-135 and a 2x teleconverter with my K-30. For a trip like that my primary would be the 20-40.
Largest that I have done have been 13X19. I haven't printed to 40X30 yet, but then again I haven't found anything that I have liked quite yet that I wanted that big. Have some things from Yosemite that are close, but I decided against it thinking they weren't the right piece for the wall. That is the most difficult part, finding something that compliments the space that it hangs in.

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 10:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Unless you get bored extremely easily, stick to Zion -- 3 days will only just get you started there. By all means hike Angel's Landing, but IMO (having never done the hike, but having read and seen plenty about it) it is much more about the hike than about opportunities for compelling photographs. Of course the park isn't at its most crowded in December, but even so Angel's Landing is considered "must-do" by many, so it's bound to be a busy trail.

In the thread UncleVanya linked to above I made a post which I'll add a bit to here. If you go to Zion for golden hour photography you're looking in the wrong place (although there are opportunities outside the main canyon). For an alternative way of thinking about the park, check out Ben Horne's YouTube channel. It's irrelevant that he is a large-format film photographer; the point is how to find the fantastic reflected light the park offers throughout the day (if it is sunny).

Consider the Narrows hike; it is unique, and very special. Allow a full day. You can rent an appropriate kit (dry pants, etc.) at one or more outfitters in Springdale.

If you see a guy with a Pentax 645N, say hello, because it might be me; I'm getting in on the 6th. I will probably have a goofy grin on my face, because that is what generally happens when I visit Zion. It is like a theme park for landscape/nature photographers.

Lens kit: go with what you normally like to shoot; you can find opportunities to use any lens you bring. I haven't decided on my kit yet, but it will be something in my usual range of somewhat wide to somewhat tele.
It will be great to see another Pentaxian in the wild, I will definitely say hello. If you see someone with a lowepro backpack, jeans, either a camo beanie or hat, fumbling with his camera, that would be me. haha
I'm really excited with this trip, and from the sounds of it I will be mesmerized by all the great sights. I'm still debating on the Narrows saying of how cold it will be, but I might just go for it. after reading through uncleVanya links, I might not be so inclined to worry about the golden hours so much. Somehow I was thinking it will be very similar to Yosemite or pinnacles, but I will be having an open mind when I'm there. Thank you for posting a link to Ben Horne's YouTube channel, it is very informative and refreshing. Also helps that he spends a good amount of time in Zion.

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is winter there and trail access may be seasonal.

I spent 24 hours in Zion and left wishing I had spent more time there. Be aware that the canyons are quite deep and may stay heavily shaded this time of year. Photographer's Ephemeris may be helpful in determining when features in the park are sunlit.

The Photographer's Ephemeris - Web App

Again, that is a hard question since it is winter. Bryce is high elevation and can be quite snowy and is exceptionally beautiful in the snow. Park roads are plowed. Bryce is also a multi-day park simply because there is a lot packaged in a relatively small space and how it presents varies with the angle and direction of the sun.

As for other places...that is a loaded question with every answer prefixed with "well, it is winter". My short list of places I want to see or return to on my next trip include:
  • Zion
  • Bryce
  • Grand Staircase/Escalante NM (may be sketchy in winter with much requiring serious 4WD), at the least Utah 12 between Bryce and Torrey (likely not passable in winter much past the town of Boulder).
  • Vermillion Cliffs area (UT and AZ)
  • Paria and vicinity and area off towards Page, AZ...the whole thing
  • Capitol Reef NP (essentially unaccessable except by foot, horse, or 4WD)
  • MOAB!!! and vicinity. I could spend several weeks in Canyonlands alone.
  • Monument Valley
There is more of course

If you are flying into Las Vegas...Zion and/or Bryce. Alternatively, Death Valley.

If flying into Salt Lake City...all of the stuff I listed above is a long way away.

Steve
Loaded questions are fun

Looks Like I should be saving some of my bucket list items for more of a spring/summer trip. I'm loving your list. I will be driving from the bay area, so Ill always be willing to take a detour. I might need to call in sick to extend my trip/Vacation one extra day

---------- Post added 11-25-17 at 10:38 PM ----------

anyone try Kolob canyon on the northern entrance of Zion? is it worth it if weather allows?
11-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you all that have commented so far it is helping tremendously. Keep the information flowing.
You will likely need to eat and sleep at some point :-)

Springdale is at the south end of Zion Canyon. I think this room was $89 or less, in 2009. The shuttle stop was a block north. You can not drive into the canyon as in the old days.
Name:  090503-8540ZionParkMotel.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  237.3 KB

Springdale is not big so you can take a little walk around to stretch your legs and see the sights.
Name:  090503-8545ButterflyChair.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  206.3 KB

Name:  090504-8749SpringaleGallery.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  253.2 KB

There is a good little museum at Bryce Canyon, and Ruby's general store/restaurant, and a little strip of tourist shops.
Name:  090506-8991GeoSectionMan.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  206.1 KB

The Bryce Canyon Pines motel/restaurant about 4 miles west on Hwy 12.
Name:  090506-9161BryceCynPinesMotel.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  180.4 KB

Somehow I got this cabin for about $89 (2009 prices).
Name:  090506-9162MotelCabinExt.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  196.7 KB

After walking the Fairyland trail, I felt like the guy on the TV.
Name:  090506-9171BCPCabinInt.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  115.2 KB

The view from the porch.

Name:  090506-9182MotelMoonTree.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  115.9 KB

At this time of year there may be some good deals on motels - maybe even the early-September 2009 prices.

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-26-2017 at 01:53 AM.
11-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You will likely need to eat and sleep at some point :-)

Springdale is at the south end of Zion Canyon. I think this room was $89 or less, in 2009. I think the shuttle stop was a block north. You can not drive into the canyon as in the old days.
Attachment 378293

Springdale is not big so you can take a little walk around to stretch your legs and see the sights.
Attachment 378294

Attachment 378295

There is a good little museum at Bryce Canyon, and Ruby's general store/restaurant, and a little strip of tourist shops.
Attachment 378296

The Bryce Canyon Pines motel/restaurant about 4 miles west on Hwy 12.
Attachment 378297

Somehow I got this cabin for about $89 (2009 prices).
Attachment 378298

After walking the Fairyland trail, I felt like the guy on the TV.
Attachment 378299

The view from the porch.

Attachment 378300

At this time of year there may be some good deals on motels - maybe even the early-September 2009 prices.

There are definitely deals this time of year. With all the talk of zion, im using that as my base camp. There was a bestwestern with good reviews going for 69 dollars a night. I couldn’t pass up on that deal, and i get points too. Trying to plan out what to see and do, i Haven’t thought about eating haha. Initially i was thinking of bringing sandwiches for the week, but that might get old. So ill need to check out one of those places for food. Any other recommendations to eat? Especially around the zion area?

11-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've been to southern Utah on a few photo safaris. If you concentrate on Zion, my two favorite areas/subjects are:

1. The less visited Kolob Canyons section ( see below photo )
2. The "Little Tree That Could" on the south side of highway 9 ( The famous round rock of red sandstone and with a little "jerky" tree.Zion National Park, sunset | Stock Photo | Colourbox ). https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/a3/b8/dfa3b84e980ce9ecc2f3d77cb3e0a385.jpg Some day I intend to spend an entire day photographing that famous little tree.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 11-25-2017 at 11:03 PM.
11-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1+ for Ruby's. It is a great place to stay too.

Steve
11-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

anyone try Kolob canyon on the northern entrance of Zion? is it worth it if weather allows?
We were passing through a month ago on our way north. We had a week and had decided against spending it in Zion because of how crowded it was last time we were there in fall color season (2014); we had a great time but sometimes it seemed we could hardly walk ten feet without tripping over someone's tripod, and it's only gotten more crowded since. So this time we stopped in at Kolob Canyons for a morning hike; it's right off the interstate and was on our route. It was fantastic, not crowded even in late October. The "finger canyons" there run east-west, so there is some opportunity for golden hour photography, especially around sunset (as Fenwoodian's photo above shows). On the other hand, we timed our trip to be there late morning to mid-day, to take advantage of the light reflected off south-facing cliffs and into the shaded north-facing cliffs. Some of the cliffs there are intensely red, more so than in Zion Canyon, and the reflected glow was unbelievable. Literally so; I kept thinking, "I can't believe this is real". Of course it's higher elevation than Zion Canyon so will probably be on the chilly side in December, and it's a bit of a drive from Springdale. If the weather looks good it is a worthy trip. I doubt we'll be going up there this time around; we only have 3 days and will probably stick to the main canyon and the east side of the park. But we might.
12-11-2017, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, i just got back from my trip, and am having to go through a good number of photos. I wanted to thank everyone for their input and in helping me have a good trip. Ill be posting some pictures in the next few days as i go through them, along with some thoughts from the trip of things i was happy with, things i wished i did differently, etc.

Once again thankyou everyone.