Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

test K1 in NYC

I'm wondering if anyone living in NYC would want to meet-up for an afternoon and let me shoot a bit with their K1? ... maybe stroll down the HIghline, or some such and enjoy some photography . . .

I have a K5iis currently, and the following lenses to share ..

- FA77
- FA43
- DFA 100 Macro
- DA35 Macro
- A50 1.7

You would of course be welcome to try out any of these lenses as well .... I'm toying with the idea of getting the K1 to replace my K5iis ... I primarily shoot product photography for the web . . . so I wonder if I really need the K1, or if it is total over-kill..

So I'd love to just get a feel for the weight and style ... have some RAWs to process later vs my K5 and see if I'd be wasting $1800

Maybe a meet-up in the new year if anyone is interested?

12-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loji Quote
...I'm toying with the idea of getting the K1 to replace my K5iis ... I primarily shoot product photography for the web . . . so I wonder if I really need the K1, or if it is total over-kill...
I think it's overkill for online product photography. I assume you are working indoors where you can easily control lighting. You'll rarely need high ISO and the K-5iis is already pretty good at high ISO, anyway. At web display sizes you don't even need the full 16mp resolution of your K-5iis.

My upgrade path was from a K-5 to K-1. The most significant improvements to me are for landscapes, astrophotography, and occasional action photos. Dynamic range and high ISO noise is better, giving extra leeway for boosting dark shadows. Red colors render more accurately. Autofocus is quicker and able to track moving targets.