Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hawaii Help

Hi,
On our way back from the US in Oct 2018 we look like stopping over in Hawaii for a few days. I have seen & heard of photos of volcanoes and lava falls into the ocean....anyone know anything about these? how hard they are to access? Where ? etc etc....or even any info on any reputable photo tours.
Appreciate your help. Cheers....and Happy New Year.

12-30-2017, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hawai'i is 100% volcano, so you can't miss. My wife and I will be going for our first time ever in February, and are also mainly interested in the active volcanoes. We'll be staying in the village of Volcano, on the big Island, just outside Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. The Kīlauea volcano has been continuously erupting for many years, so that's a good bet to see flowing lava. This is the one that had the "fire hose" of lava flowing into the ocean a year or so ago. There is currently no visible ocean lava entry, but there is visible flow on the coastal plain.

What's Going On With the Volcano? - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
12-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Any lava-related activity will be found on the big island of Hawaii. The island's main airport is Kona but if you can fly to Hilo, that's closer to the action. Alas, there's no way to predict exactly where the flows are occurring or even if they are occurring (at the moment, no lava is flowing into the ocean).

Access to the most recent eruption has been from either near Hilo or inside Volcano's National Park (Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service)). Access can be tricky: the Hilo side access is easier but I get the sense it's more regulated by the locals. The National Park side access is much much more strenuous and the Park Service tends to discourage people but if you are prepared for a 10-15 km serious hike over stunning undulating hillocks of recently formed planet Earth, you may be able to find the flow and poke real live real hot lava with a tripod foot. It's a day-long hike because there absolutely no trail, no landmarks, and no way to hike in a true straight line. I'd not hike the park side lava fields at night -- too many opportunities to trip and the recently cooled lava there tends to have a surface that's like broken glass.

Even if there's no accessible eruption activity, the area and the park are beautiful. The terrain shifts between low rainforest (treeferns & the like) to scrub desert. There are many shorter hikes that provide access to recent craters, thermal areas, and young flows. Lots to see and photograph!

In Hilo, you can also arrange a helicopter tour over the eruption zone. Some tours have a doors-off option so there's no nasty scratch perspex between between you and the landscape. It's a blast!

Have a great time!
12-30-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I wish it was me instead of you.

A few days seeing the Hawaiian islands is a bit a few days touring South Australia.

Apart form volcanoes, do you have any other plans?

If you are really rushed for time, you can do a day tour from Honolulu/Waikiki (leaves early gets back late) which will at lease introduce you to other areas of the big island.
Just search for volcano day tours from Honolulu/Waikiki depending where you are staying.

12-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all, as usual very useful information. Our stay will probably be no more than 3 or 4 days. What is the best way to move from island to Island ?....I am assuming air, but are there boat services as well ?
12-31-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

never been to Hawaii

but if you have extra time not booked perhaps whale watching might be good

When is the best time to see humpback whales in Hawaii and which islands are the best for watching? - Go Visit Hawaii
12-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Our stay will probably be no more than 3 or 4 days. What is the best way to move from island to Island ?
Fly, you won't have time to take a boat except perhaps a dinner cruise off Waikiki.

Seriously, I know time and money are always limited but stretch your stay as much as you can.

For some ideas of what to see and do, visit here.

01-02-2018, 09:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thankyou all.
03-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally settled on 3 nights Kauai and last 4 nights Oahu.
04-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy!