Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

Oakland, CA flights

Has anyone recently flown out of Oakland with their gear? Do they make you take everything out and put it into bins? All lenses, bodies, everything???

02-09-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Regardless of what’s being done today, tomorrow is likely to be completely different.
02-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I have taken my camera/lens and other equipment as my under the seat carry on, I have just had my closed bag go through the imaging machine on the moving belt. This is not pertaining to Oakland specifically, but at most airport checkpoints I have been at. I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW camera backpack with small locks on the bag zipper handles. The bag was left closed. Batteries in the bag were fine, and no battery left in the camera.

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-09-2018 at 11:02 AM.
02-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have gone through many airports(except Oak Land) and camera/lens has not created any tension :-). X-ray image of camera and lens clearly shows what it is. Also Camera and Lens are popular tourist items.

02-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually, for most airlines, a camera bag is an accessory that can be taken along with
a regular carry on bag (both free). The camera bag should usually fit under the seat in front of you if it is taken on as an accessory. Those two bags have usually been free on most airlines for me. The airline will usually state their carry on allowance policy and what the guidelines are at the "luggage" area of their online site. Be careful of the "Basic Economy" type offers because they may end up charging you for carry on luggage, whereas the regular ticket types or first class will not.
02-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe, maybe not. The new rules for scanning carry-ons do involve more scrutiny of anything with a battery but it's up to individual security agents to push the policy. Removing the camera may be pretty likely. I've only been required to remove lenses in Paris and Manila. Most of the time, traveling with gear is easy-peasy but occasionally there's a security agent who believes whatever and arguing with them is very counterproductive.

If you fear theft of your gear and are traveling with someone else, then have them go through security first. Once they are on the secure side, you can unpack you gear (if needed) and control it's entry into the X-ray machine while they can watch your gear when it comes out the X-ray machine.
02-24-2018, 03:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i fly to Oakland from Albuquerque round trip in November
My bag Lowepro 400 backpack was with me under front seat without any problem.
Same was trip to Rome with Delta without any attention to my photo gear ,they mostly look ipad and laptop