Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2018, 06:24 PM   #91
Pentaxian
swanlefitte's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Orleans
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,935
Damn you for posting an increasing my jealousy! Wonderful.

11-25-2018, 05:42 PM - 3 Likes   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,480
Original Poster
The Flickr album has just grown. 10 more shots from day two at Iguazu.
12-10-2018, 01:57 PM - 6 Likes   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,480
Original Poster
Sorry for the tawdry updates. I'm now back from what was an unforgettable trip. The ship had slow but reasonably Wi-Fi, but for some reason I had trouble getting onto Flickr, so I am only now getting images up. The first three day in Antarctica have been added to THE ALBUM

I was incredibly impressed with the way the gear performed. The versatility and quality of the humble 28-105 (usually on the K-1) as a landscape lens was a revelation, and the ability of the KP and 150-450 to track birds in flight surprised me. The weather resistance certainly came in handy



I barely used the 10-17 or DA*55, and didn't use the tripod, flash or filters at all. So there is room for greater efficiency in future. The Peak Design Everyday Backpack and Capture Clips were fabulous.
12-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #94
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,453
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Sorry for the tawdry updates. I'm now back from what was an unforgettable trip. The ship had slow but reasonably Wi-Fi, but for some reason I had trouble getting onto Flickr, so I am only now getting images up. The first three day in Antarctica have been added to THE ALBUM

I was incredibly impressed with the way the gear performed. The versatility and quality of the humble 28-105 (usually on the K-1) as a landscape lens was a revelation, and the ability of the KP and 150-450 to track birds in flight surprised me. The weather resistance certainly came in handy



I barely used the 10-17 or DA*55, and didn't use the tripod, flash or filters at all. So there is room for greater efficiency in future. The Peak Design Everyday Backpack and Capture Clips were fabulous.
Fantastic pictures! Looks like the gear really held up to the task. I have a question though, if I do get a job at McMurdo in the following year what gear would you recommend to go with a 1 camera setup (KP)? What lenses would you say on the inexpensive side of the scale would do well?

12-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,480
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Fantastic pictures! Looks like the gear really held up to the task. I have a question though, if I do get a job at McMurdo in the following year what gear would you recommend to go with a 1 camera setup (KP)? What lenses would you say on the inexpensive side of the scale would do well?
Thanks. My kit was centred around full frame compatibility, but I reckon the 18-135 and 55-300PLM would be incredibly useful on the KP. There is a lot of light - I was frequently stopped down to f/11 and beyond. I'd still try to save up for the new DA*11-18 though....
12-10-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter
robgski's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,946
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

I barely used the 10-17 or DA*55, and didn't use the tripod, flash or filters at all. So there is room for greater efficiency in future. The Peak Design Everyday Backpack and Capture Clips were fabulous.
Do you think this is because of your preferred style of photography, or the constraints of the trip? For example, I won't carry a lens, or a tripod on the off chance that I might use it, if I have it, it is because I intend to use it at that place and time.


I imagine that the conditions made you somewhat reluctant to change lenses outside of a sheltered location.


Great pictures, I expect to drink several more cups of coffee to take them all in and really appreciate them,
12-10-2018, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,480
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I imagine that the conditions made you somewhat reluctant to change lenses outside of a sheltered location.
Absolutely. WR zooms on two bodies made life much easier.

QuoteQuote:
Great pictures, I expect to drink several more cups of coffee to take them all in and really appreciate them,
Thanks Rob. I'll get more up as jet lag allows.
12-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #98
Pentaxian
ZombieArmy's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,453
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks. My kit was centred around full frame compatibility, but I reckon the 18-135 and 55-300PLM would be incredibly useful on the KP. There is a lot of light - I was frequently stopped down to f/11 and beyond. I'd still try to save up for the new DA*11-18 though....
The DA*11-18 is a dream lens for sure. If funds allow I will most certainly be going for that.

12-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #99
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: America's First Wilderness
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The DA*11-18 is a dream lens for sure. If funds allow I will most certainly be going for that.
I'm looking forward to this lens too. The fact that it took 14 years to refresh the DA 12-24 still boggles my mind. But pentax will finally have a fully weather sealed DA system.

12-11-2018, 08:50 PM - 2 Likes   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
riseform's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WA, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 261
Welcome home and fantastic photos. I enjoyed how you included people and the boat in many photos to give some perspective of scale. I fear I might have missed the importance of that if I'd been in your shoes. The orange jackets really help make the scenes pop as well. The adelie, kings and gentoos are cute, but I'm particularly fond of those chinstrap penguins. Great work.

Thanks for involving us in the planning and anticipation of this trip, I think I was looking forward to it as much as you were. Glad it turned out so well.
12-11-2018, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,814
Fantastic images man, thanks for sharing, looks like an amazing trip
12-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #102
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,561
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The first three day in Antarctica have been added to THE ALBUM
@Sandy Hancock; fantastic pictures! Looking forward to seeing more in your album. Will you post any images taken onboard of the ship?

I notice that you made good use of the KP and K-1 along with various lenses.

- Craig
12-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,480
Original Poster
Thanks Craig.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Will you post any images taken onboard of the ship?
At a quick count, 28 of the images in the album so far were taken from the ship. Or do you mean shots of the ship's interior?
12-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #104
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,561
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Or do you mean shots of the ship's interior?
Yes, I'd love to catch a glimpse of life onboard the ship, as well as your shots of the land, ice and sea. Maybe a couple of pictures of the interior?

Years ago when I started my research career, I spent weeks aboard navy ships out at sea. Still interested in ship life!

Craig
12-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #105
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 775
That looks amazing, I've always had Antarctica near the top of my wish list. But I've also feared 40 foot seas crossing the Southern Ocean. How was the Drake Passage?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
antarctica, bags, battery, camera, charger, days, environment, lens, moisture, reason, scott, ship, time, usb, weather, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Behind-the-scenes of shooting the flipped iceberg photos in Antarctica interested_observer General Photography 2 02-08-2015 12:24 PM
Hello from Antarctica! GeroniMoe Welcomes and Introductions 19 01-22-2013 12:30 PM
Hello from Florida/Antarctica CaptainMike Welcomes and Introductions 7 09-01-2012 03:40 PM
Travel Sailing to Antarctica iFoto Post Your Photos! 34 04-29-2012 10:40 AM
"Sailing to Antarctica" Photobook - just published iFoto Photographic Industry and Professionals 7 01-20-2012 04:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top