Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2018, 06:55 AM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I generally prefer Speysides to Islays
Me... if I cannae chew it, it's not peaty enough.

05-07-2018, 01:34 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been to Antarctica twice. Once to the peninsula via Chile/Argentina & the Drake Passage and the first time to the Ross Sea area via New Zealand/Australia & the Southern Ocean.

The Antarctica peninsula is not that cold, so you won't have any "cold" related issues. This area also has more rain fall, so I would be more worried about keeping your gear dry. The Ross Sea area is totally different, bone dry, windy and colder, so it's hard to keep warm when shooting. Also crossing the Southern Ocean twice in one trip equals multiple visits to the toilet, as sea sickness is a big issue. We had a force 9 gale on the second day of the Southern Ocean crossing and it was brutal.

Both trips were on small boats with less than 100 passengers. (plus crew)

I took three film bodies on both trips, one for colour slides, the second for b&w slides and the third body as a spare. Also took five lenses, which I have written down somewhere at home.

You should have a great time and the Penguins will charm you with their behavior! (If you just standstill or sit near some they will ignore you and carry on with their daily routine, which is quite amusing)

Phil.
05-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
chew it ?

Dinnae ya mean plow it ?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=plowing+peat&&view=detail&mid=2FE71429E...B8&FORM=VDQVAP
05-07-2018, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the suggestion, but Adelaide has its own Antarctic hero in Douglas Mawson.

And I have plenty of choices when it comes to Single Malts
I see the cap on the Tullibardine and the Irishman haven't been opened yet?

05-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I see the cap on the Tullibardine and the Irishman haven't been opened yet?
Pop around and I'll crack one for you
05-08-2018, 01:54 AM   #36
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
chew it? Dinnae ya mean plow it ?
Nah, when I'm drinking it... I do mean chewing it.
05-08-2018, 01:58 AM   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Pop around and I'll crack one for you
Open invite to all? if so what time you want us there?

05-08-2018, 02:14 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Open invite to all? if so what time you want us there?
Actually, there's a good chance I'll be coming to you in June next year
05-08-2018, 03:09 AM   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

What and your bringing the bottle with you?
05-08-2018, 03:10 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

any chance of a side trip to Topeka KS ?
05-08-2018, 04:23 AM   #41
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My brother!
05-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The Penguins will charm you with their behavior! (If you just standstill or sit near some they will ignore you and carry on with their daily routine, which is quite amusing).
Thanks Phil. You're not the first to comment on the penguins' behaviour.

I'm thinking more and more that investing in the DFA150-450 might be worthwhile, rather than restricting myself to my 300mm prime. Every so often the Australian distributors have a 15-20% off sale on their websites and that would probably tip the balance.

I see the DFA15-30 as non-negotiable. The question now is what to do with the middle focal lengths. A fast fifty and the DFA100WR would do well, with or without either the DFA28-105 or DFA24-70. And I now have a Lee filter set which I can adapt to fit any or all of these
05-19-2018, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Phil. You're not the first to comment on the penguins' behaviour.

I'm thinking more and more that investing in the DFA150-450 might be worthwhile, rather than restricting myself to my 300mm prime. Every so often the Australian distributors have a 15-20% off sale on their websites and that would probably tip the balance.

I see the DFA15-30 as non-negotiable. The question now is what to do with the middle focal lengths. A fast fifty and the DFA100WR would do well, with or without either the DFA28-105 or DFA24-70. And I now have a Lee filter set which I can adapt to fit any or all of these
You will find on zodiac shore landings that you could be amongst thousands of penguins and very close to them as well. So something in the 50mm-100mm range would be a good choice for that scenario. When you are on-board the ship taking pictures, that's when the longer lenses come in handy for sightings of birds, whales, seals and icebergs. The wide angles come in handy for landscape shots from either the ship or on land and also if you want to get a bunch of penguins in one shot. (Family photos )

Also bring some silicon gel packs for when you come back on the ship, the temperature change from the colder outside into the warm ship may cause condensation on your gear. I left leave my gear in the camera bag with the gel packs for an hour or so after coming on-board, to adjust to the warmer ship. Also bring some sort of photo gloves when shooting. The ideal solutions is a lighter pair of photo gloves worn under a regular heavy pair of water proof ones, (Take off the heavy gloves only when shooting.) You can also get sprayed while on the zodiacs, so you will need to make plans to keep yourself and gear dry.

Phil.
05-20-2018, 03:00 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This sounds like a once in a lifetime trip, and one where you'd benefit from having the 150-450mm. If ever there was a good reason to buy, this is the reason.
05-20-2018, 03:00 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
You will find on zodiac shore landings that you could be amongst thousands of penguins
just be prepared for the aroma that results when birds live in close proximity.