Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 03:12 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
just be prepared for the aroma that results when birds live in close proximity.
Worse than the smell of the dissecting room, or dead gut? I think I'm prepared

---------- Post added 20-05-18 at 07:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
This sounds like a once in a lifetime trip, and one where you'd benefit from having the 150-450mm. If ever there was a good reason to buy, this is the reason.
I couldn't agree more.

05-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
just be prepared for the aroma that results when birds live in close proximity.
Oh yes the smell! Also the noise!

Plus that you have to walk on dead (in varying stages of decay) penguins,as well as seeing some in the process of dying or being killed by leopard seals or by large birds.

Phil.
05-27-2018, 02:06 AM   #48
Pentaxian

I've been applying to work at McMurdo base for a while now to get an opportunity to go to Antarctica. I'm planning on avoiding a boat trip though.
There's a total solar eclipse on December 4th happening around there and I have every intention of trying to be there for it.
05-27-2018, 02:08 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've been applying to work at McMurdo base
Cool! In what capacity?

05-27-2018, 02:12 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Cool! In what capacity?
McMurdo base is rather huge for an Antarctic base, so there's lots of menial jobs available for it. I'm willing to take anything for the opportunity.

Unfortunately it takes quite a few application cycles to be considered. Then you need to do undergo some pretty thorough health examinations, even as far as preemptively taking out wisdom teeth so they're not a problem.
05-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
McMurdo base is rather huge for an Antarctic base, so there's lots of menial jobs available for it. I'm willing to take anything for the opportunity.
We went there on my first trip via the ships helicopter and had coffee & cookies. they also gave us a base tour. Pretty impressive, looks more like a university than a research station. The base was starting to clear out as fall was approaching, just a few hundred stay over the winter months.

Phil.
06-16-2018, 01:15 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
DCExpert had one of their 20% sales recently, and I picked up a battery grip for the KP and a 55-300PLM.

So two bodies it is - FF and crop now the battery capacity of the latter is remedied.

15-30, 55, 100, 300 might be able to suffice with the KP (+/- 1.4xTC) extending the coverage of the three primes. Or does the convenience of a smaller, lighter zoom trump the IQ and speed of the DA*300?

The KP's built-in flash will probably be enough for the occasional times some fill is required.

Still some thinking to do, but I'm getting there!

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-16-2018 at 02:04 AM.
06-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I get the new DFA*50, which I must admit is looking like a certainty, I would have the following covered in full frame equivalents (for field of view, not depth of field):

15-30/2.8 (DFA15-30 on the K-1 II)
50/1.4 (DFA*50 on the K-1 II)
75/1.4 (DFA*50 on the KP)
100/2.8 (DFA100WR on the K-1 II)
150/2.8 (DFA100WR on the KP)
210/4.0 (DFA100WR + 1.4xTC on the KP)
300/4.0 (DA*300 on the K-1 II)
450/4.0 (DA*300 on the KP)
630/5.6 (DA*300 + 1.4xTC on the KP)

So four lenses + the teleconverter. All high quality and WR/AW.

Job done?
07-09-2018, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just noticed this thread for the first time. I went to South Georgia Island, the Falkland Islands and Chile/Argentina in November 2016 and went through your same dilemma.

This was the solution I came up with:

For the airplane:
I chose the Mindshift Backlight 26L which provides adequate protection, but remains small enough that it could fit beneath a seat if necessary. The riskiest flight was from Chile to the Falklands where they apparently can be very picky about luggage, but I had no problems. The backpack easily fit in a large dry bag for zodiac transport and was on my back every landing. It adds traveling security with rear panel access and can spin on the waist belt allowing lens changes without removing the backpack (nice in muddy or penguin excrement filled fields).
As my "second" carry on, I used the Think Tank "urban disquise 35 classic" which held the K1 and DFA 150-450

I brought three camera bodies:
K3, K3ii and K1

Lenses:
DA 10-17 fisheye
DA 15 for starburst sun shots
FA 31
DA 20-40 limited
DA* 60-250 (modified for full frame)
DFA 150-450

Tripod:
MetFOTO Globetrotter which easily held the 150-450.

Your trip will emphasize icebergs more than my trip, where I suspect a fish eye will really come in handy.
I would absolutely spring for the 150-450 as it honestly shoots very well handheld and is great for pelagic birds following the ship as well as wildlife on shore. I even handheld it shooting from the zodiac without any issues.

On the ship, I shot with the 150-450 paired with the K3ii for albatross, petrels, etc.
On landings, I switched bodies to the K1 for the 150-450 as wildlife isn't afraid of you and will be quite close. I also used the modified 60-250 but used the 150-450 more often (it's sharper).
The 20-40 limited was absolutely my most used lens, hanging from reporter straps off the front of my backpack at all times.

From a seasick standpoint, I wore a scopolamine patch the entire time. We encountered some seas rocky enough that my cabin mate flew out of her bed and a couple of days we weren't allowed on deck. I had no issues and was able to enjoy meals in an empty galley while half the ship was throwing up in their cabins. I find I can stretch and get 4 days out of a given (3 day) patch. If you don't want to look like a dork, you don't really have to put the patch behind your ear (I think that's so ER doctors can quickly figure out what going on if you start acting crazy). I put mine under my clavicle just under my shirt where it's less likely to get rubbed off.

A traveling power strip was also nice, allowing several charges to function at the same time while charging batteries at night.

I wore Gore-Tex chest waders and (non felt bottom) wading boots for landings, hiking miles (we even reproduced the last leg of the Shackleton trek on its 100 year anniversary) with no issues and was never cold.

If I were to go again, the one thing I would absolutely add is the Theta V and it's small tripod/selfie stick!

Links to South Georgia and Falkland albums if interested from a lens choice/outcome standpoint:
South Georgia Island 2016 | Flickr
Falkland Islands 2016 | Flickr
07-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you so much!
Amazing images - you've just about sold me on the DFA150-450, and the idea of throwing the DA15 in for its unique characteristics is an excellent one.
07-26-2018, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #56

Hey Sandy!

I work a lot in extreme cold environments with Pentax cameras (K-1). Last expedition I was on, I had a similar consideration to yours regarding weight and volume for transport and whilst I was out skiing.

What I discovered from a pre expedition trip was my goto lens was my FA 31mm on my K-1 body. Nothing else. I did carry the FA 77mm for a short tele, but only used it once. I used my feet instead. To be fair, I was in a place that allowed me to do that, no restrictions on where I could go (you won't have the same in Antarctica) except for if the terrain was dangerous. I was also photographing people and landscapes mostly, not wildlife or distant objects. I found 31mm was decent enough for wides (sometimes wish it was a little wider), a little close for portraits but delivered nice images. Only disadvantage, it's not weather sealed. But if it's cold enough it's dry, so you don't have to consider moisture other than when you try to go from a cold environment to a warm one. If you do this all of the moisture will stick to the camera and condense on it.

So for that you'll want either some zip-loc bags or a dry bag. Waterproof dry bags are more durable and reliable. You leave it in there until the camera temperature is raised to the warm environment. If you go from a warm environment to a very cold environment, it doesn't matter as sublimation usually takes care of moisture.

In truth if you had the option of the classic lens setup 24-70mm & a 70-200mm (or equivalent) you're covered for most. As riseform says you may wish to go longer if you're photographing birdsetc. I know you may have discounted the 24-70mm beacuse of weight but that range is incredible, if you need flexibility. Other than that your mostly in prime territory.

Couple of things I found really useful were the Peak Designs Capture Camera Clip (if the total weight of the camera + lens is not so high) - works great if you're wearing a backpack, and makes the camera very accessible. The metal body cameras like the K-1 are incredibly robust, and as a rule it's the battery that needs to be kept warm for the most part. You'd be surprised how cold they work down to....

I also took a travel USB battery charger for the Dli90, which meant I could take carry fewer electrical goods.Just a multi USB quick charger. You can also, recharge a battery from a solar panel or a battery pack.

Here's one from Siberia

Scott

---------- Post added 07-26-18 at 07:42 PM ----------

Btw apologies if I've duplicated any of the excellent advice you've already been given. Just exciting to see the word Antarctica!

Scott
Attached Images

07-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome stuff Scott. Thanks very much!

I will have the luxury of taking day trips from the ship, so carrying heavier gear will not be much of a problem. As much as I love my FA limiteds, they will be staying home for this one.

I think with the amount of wildlife on the Antarctic peninsula, and the time on the ship when birds and icebergs are going to the main subjects, something longer than 200mm will be essential. The purchase of a DFA150-450 has a sense of inevitability

I can't imagine leaving the DFA15-30 behind, and I reckon a fast fifty will bridge the gap between that and my longer option. When my DFA*50 arrives I will be looking hard at how it stacks against my DA*55 to determine whether the extra size and weight is justified for this trip.
08-24-2018, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since my last post here I have spent the best part of a month with the DFA*50, and it is everything I had hoped it would be.
With today's 15% lens discount at pentax.com.au I have also finally sprung on a DFA150-450, so I'm certain I now have every option available.
What is left is deciding. Currently, I'm looking at the following as a bare minimum:

K-1 Mark II and KP (with battery grip)
DFA15-30, DFA*50, DFA150-450

I reckon a fish-eye will probably need to come too. Maybe the DFA28-105. Anything else?
08-24-2018, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Anything else?
a case of that good scotch whiskey?
08-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster