Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
There's a total solar eclipse on December 4th happening around there and I have every intention of trying to be there for it.
I hate to disappoint you, but I can find no reference to a total solar eclipse at any time in 2018.

There will be two in 2019: one on 2nd July, best seen from South America, and one on 26th December, best seen from the Arabian Emirates, Southern India/Sri Lanka and Indonesia.

08-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I hate to disappoint you, but I can find no reference to a total solar eclipse at any time in 2018.

There will be two in 2019: one on 2nd July, best seen from South America, and one on 26th December, best seen from the Arabian Emirates, Southern India/Sri Lanka and Indonesia.
I meant in 2021. Thought I had mentioned it but I guess I accidentally omitted it. If it were this year I'd be sorely disappointed because there's no way I'd be able to get there.
09-27-2018, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Only eight weeks before I leave for this trip! The kit is now pretty much settled.

K-1 Mark II
KP
DA10-17
DFA15-30
DFA28-105
DFA*50
DFA150-450

In my Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L all that weighs a little over 8kg, which is OK on Air New Zealand and Aerolineas Argentinas.

All the less delicate and expensive stuff (battery grip for the KP, chargers, tripod, Lee filter system, flash, etc.) can travel by air in checked luggage.

Last questions:

1) Is the Lee filter system overkill? I'm thinking a polariser and ND for the 28-105, and maybe a polariser for the 150-450 as well, might cover most bases while being a whole lot less clunky.

2) What about the flash? The sun will be up nearly 24 hours a day at that time of year, so the only times I would be tempted to use it would be inside on the ship.

Thank you all for your indulgence
09-29-2018, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

2) What about the flash? The sun will be up nearly 24 hours a day at that time of year, so the only times I would be tempted to use it would be inside on the ship.
You'll be worrying about the snow being far too bright rather than making anything brighter.
See unlike other parts of the world, there will be tons of snow with very little cloud cover as Antarctica is incredibly dry.

When taking in to account your kit be sure to remember how incredibly windy it will be. It's not unlikely you will experience winds over 90 mph.

09-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AF201FG for the rare fill flash needs when using K-1? Not P-TTL, but pocketable.
09-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AF201FG for the rare fill flash needs when using K-1? Not P-TTL, but pocketable.
Who says it isn't P-TTL? Mine is.
Dimensions are about the same as the GRIII, so yes - definitely pocketable

But if I decide to take a flash I'd want one which would accept my Better Beamer for backlit wildlife....
09-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Who says it isn't P-TTL? Mine is.
Dimensions are about the same as the GRIII, so yes - definitely pocketable

But if I decide to take a flash I'd want one which would accept my Better Beamer for backlit wildlife....
My bad

10-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #68
VAV

Only eight weeks before I leave for this trip! The kit is now pretty much settled.

K-1 Mark II
KP
DA10-17
DFA15-30
DFA28-105
DFA*50
DFA150-450

In my Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L all that weighs a little over 8kg, which is OK on Air New Zealand and Aerolineas Argentinas.

All the less delicate and expensive stuff (battery grip for the KP, chargers, tripod, Lee filter system, flash, etc.) can travel by air in checked luggage.

Last questions:

1) Is the Lee filter system overkill? I'm thinking a polariser and ND for the 28-105, and maybe a polariser for the 150-450 as well, might cover most bases while being a whole lot less clunky.

Thank you all for your indulgence
Just curious about your reasons for carrying the KP with DA10-17 if you would like to share - is this for backup or for additional reach on APSC with the 150-450? I think your K1 with the other lenses is already adding up to a good weight and could be a pain to walk around! Hope you have a wonderful trip and share some great pics with us.
10-04-2018, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #69
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VAV Quote
is this for backup or for additional reach on APSC with the 150-450?
Yes, that's exactly what the KP is for. If my K-1 were to die for some reason I would kick myself if I didn't have a backup.
I could take the full frame Samyang fisheye instead of the DA10-17, but the latter is more versatile and slightly smaller and lighter.

QuoteQuote:
I think your K1 with the other lenses is already adding up to a good weight and could be a pain to walk around!
I'm a big, strong lad. I'll cope :-)

QuoteQuote:
Hope you have a wonderful trip and share some great pics with us.
I will, and I will.
10-05-2018, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck, Sandy! I don't really have any advice on what gear to take or not take, but I sure am looking forward to seeing the images you come back with. Sounds like a dream trip full of photo opportunities.

(Probably the most important thing is lots of memory cards, but they don't take up much space).
10-05-2018, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed, I'm looking forward to this trip vicariously! Have a great time and it'll be fun seeing your pictures.
Second body is a must and I think you'll enjoy having that 10-17 fisheye around! 150-450 was also a great decision.
Safe travels!
10-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just over four weeks to go! Currently thinking of dividing the carry-on gear between the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20 litre and my Tamrac Velocity 5x waist pack.

I see landscape sessions going nicely with the DFA15-30 on the K-1 and either the DA10-17 or DFA28-105 on the KP.

Wildlife sessions would see the the DFA28-105 and DFA150-450 used in tandem; which body they are coupled to will depend on the size and distance of the "prey".

The DA*55 (I've decided to leave the Fat Fifty at home) will come into its own inside the ship, on either body depending on desired angle of view. It's also great for stitching panoramas.

I don't think I'll miss a macro lens for this trip, and I'll make do with the tiny Surui tripod and the AF201FG unless my trial packs suggest I have weight to burn.

Does anyone think I'll regret it if I don't take the Lee 150 filter system?
10-22-2018, 01:32 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just over four weeks to go! Currently thinking of dividing the carry-on gear between the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20 litre and my Tamrac Velocity 5x waist pack.

I see landscape sessions going nicely with the DFA15-30 on the K-1 and either the DA10-17 or DFA28-105 on the KP.

Wildlife sessions would see the the DFA28-105 and DFA150-450 used in tandem; which body they are coupled to will depend on the size and distance of the "prey".

The DA*55 (I've decided to leave the Fat Fifty at home) will come into its own inside the ship, on either body depending on desired angle of view. It's also great for stitching panoramas.

I don't think I'll miss a macro lens for this trip, and I'll make do with the tiny Surui tripod and the AF201FG unless my trial packs suggest I have weight to burn.

I don't know enough about the Lee system but I know that I always want to have a CPL, an ND, and a graduated ND filter handy for landscapes, or harsh direct or reflected light conditions, or to allow for some long exposures, especially when clouds, surf or other good scenes with moving elements and still elements will be present. Imagine a long exposure of penguins or seals on the rocks, for example.

As for lenses, I thought you have enough variety to cover any situation.

I am excited for you, and will live vicariously through your resulting pictures.
10-23-2018, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #74

A few years since I took the Orion (now with National Geographic) from Hobart to Scott's hut and back to NZ. Three weeks and fantastic. Photography ops always. Visiting bird flocks. Penguins on ice flows etc. I took a K5 and K5iis. For backup. A 70-200mm lens for BIF and everything else. A 17-50mm lens for pretty landscapes and seascapes. Occasionally I wished I had my 50-500 for close ups of life on the sea ice. I did use the backup camera. Had both the above lenses on cameras for instant access when a photo op presented. Phenergen is the best for avoiding sea sickness. Once you are among the ice flows the seas are calm due to the damping effect of the sea ice and icebergs.
11-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the DFA28-105 and DFA150-450 used in tandem;
Some people would have an existential crisis over the 45mm focal length gap.

I'd take two filters: a ND grad filter [the dynamic range between snow on land and bright skies can be difficult to tame] and a strong ND for long exposure work.