Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costa Rica photography kit?

aright you kind folks, could use a suggestion here.
so i'm going to Costa Rica in under a month. debating on what gear to take with me. i have a good idea of what to take, but could use other opinions too.

things i like to shoot: portraits.
issue: i dont think i'd get the opportunity to do lots of portraits of locals there due to culture. (my personal opinion. i find it harder to take portraits in developed countries. people usually dont like their pics taken by strangers. undeveloped countries however i find people welcome them, and even pose for pics if they see a camera around. again, this is my personal opinion and experience) so therefore i'll have to change focus onto other things that interest me too. such as macro, some wildlife photography. some landscape photography etc.

the gear i have:
pentax k1
battery grip
14mm rokinon
24-70mm 2.8 wr
50mm 1.4
77mm 1.8
100mm 2.8 macro wr
70-200mm 2.8
85mm 1.4 rokinon.
18-135mm
flash
wireless trigger

things i'm considering taking with me:
pentax k1
24-70mm
50mm
77mm
100mm

plus a small tripod.

since i'll be heading to rainforests, its a potential humid area (though its not raining season, you never know). as such, the 24-70 and the 100mm will mostly be used. the 100mm i can use to take pics of frogs/bugs and some not-so-fast-moving-wild-life. while the 24-70mm would be used for any/everything else.

the 50 and 77 would mostly be sitting in the bag, unless i find some portrait or low light situations.

i was debating on taking the 14mm, but due to weight and size and not WR, it, i dont think, will be of much use. besides, i can stitch multiple shots if i want a wider shot.

anything else i should consider?

i maybe heading up some volcanoes too. maybe going snorkling? though will keep my gear elsehwere if i go snorkling

03-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think you're on the right track, the only thing I would suggest is more reach for wildlife.
Costa Rica is excellent for wildlife shooting. When I was there we saw monkeys, sloths, snakes, iguanas, macaws. But all required reach to get good shots.

Enjoy the trip!
03-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I think you're on the right track, the only thing I would suggest is more reach for wildlife.
Costa Rica is excellent for wildlife shooting. When I was there we saw monkeys, sloths, snakes, iguanas, macaws. But all required reach to get good shots.

Enjoy the trip!
if we are going snorkling, were can we leave our camera gear? is it safe to keep it at the hotel (of course, not in plain sight)
03-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When traveling I use a packsafe flexible safe bag in my hotel or use the hotel safe if one is available and the gear can fit. The last trip to paris I chained the gear in a pacsafe bag to a radiator. I also took minimal gear.

I would drop the 50. The K-1 low light is good, you would have the 77 along in case you need brighter than 2.8 and the 77 is a good option for the portraits you love. For wildlife I'd bring a longer lens. The 70-200 is pretty heavy. Maybe an older FA 100-300 - they are light and cheap and would give you the range - assuming good light they aren't bad. Here's one on ebay - just picked at random - SMC Pentax FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 Lens with Cap | eBay

---------- Post added 03-12-18 at 03:25 PM ----------

Or maybe this! Just noticed it's on sale and new:

Tamron 70-300mm: Just $129! - PentaxForums.com

03-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tough call on the 70-200 2.8. It is surprisingly dark under rain-forest canopy, even in the middle of the day. f/2.8 would be useful.

However tramping around rain-forest all day with a K-1 and 70-200 2.8 would be a bit of a drag, but may be worth it. This is really a very personal choice.
03-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

I just got back from Costa Rica this weekend. I brought the 15-30 and 70-200 2.8s. You definitely need the 2.8, because it's pretty dark in the rain forest. Even in the middle of the day, the iso could get up to 6400 if you were stopped down. One thing I'd add is that 200 is not long enough. If I go back, I'd at least get the 70-300 that's on sale right now, 300mm, or preferably something in the 400 range if Pentax came out with a better option than the 150-450. Otherwise, I'd probably just bring sony with adapted tamron 100-400
03-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
When traveling I use a packsafe flexible safe bag in my hotel or use the hotel safe if one is available and the gear can fit. The last trip to paris I chained the gear in a pacsafe bag to a radiator. I also took minimal gear.

I would drop the 50. The K-1 low light is good, you would have the 77 along in case you need brighter than 2.8 and the 77 is a good option for the portraits you love. For wildlife I'd bring a longer lens. The 70-200 is pretty heavy. Maybe an older FA 100-300 - they are light and cheap and would give you the range - assuming good light they aren't bad. Here's one on ebay - just picked at random - SMC Pentax FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 Lens with Cap | eBay

---------- Post added 03-12-18 at 03:25 PM ----------

Or maybe this! Just noticed it's on sale and new:

Tamron 70-300mm: Just $129! - PentaxForums.com
that is the one for digital

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I used an older one on our trip to Tanzania

I would urge the OP take a back up camera, I couldn't tell if he had one listed

if he could get one or borrow one, perhaps the back up should be different from his other camera if there might be a benefit for having different options

ASP-C vs full frame, speed, buffering rate, etc

I would also think about going old school and getting the old fashion rain coat type of WR protection to add to his kit

low cost and not a lot of weight

good luck
03-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
that is the one for digital

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I used an older one on our trip to Tanzania
Ironically the FA 100-300 gets higher marks but I don't know that I have ever seen a comparison shootout between them.

Your point about a backup is sensible but lugging an extra body (even APS) around seems like a lot of extra weight and items to keep track of. I would consider bringing a small backup camera like an LX-7 however if it were me and I was using his gear.

03-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ironically the FA 100-300 gets higher marks but I don't know that I have ever seen a comparison shootout between them.

Your point about a backup is sensible but lugging an extra body (even APS) around seems like a lot of extra weight and items to keep track of. I would consider bringing a small backup camera like an LX-7 however if it were me and I was using his gear.
" any port in a storm " as they say

IOW, any back up is better than no back up

you are right that the OP may have to be concerned about weight

on our trips, most the time, we travel via vehicles and do not hike long distances from them so weight isn't that large of a concern

I am also reasonably able to carry a high quality back pack which is designed to help me carry the weight - good shoulder straps, sternum strap and waist belt
03-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
is that 70-300 a full frame camera lens?
different sources says otherwise.
also the F6 at 300 seems a lil too dark if its under the canopy of the forest.
how is it in macro?

i could replace my 100mm with this lens?

and i do have the kx and the k5 as well, but dont wanna carry more gear.

the 70-200 is a great lens. but the weight is a killer and takes up too much room. room i can use for snacks, or tripod, or something else of that nature.
03-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
is that 70-300 a full frame camera lens?
different sources says otherwise.
also the F6 at 300 seems a lil too dark if its under the canopy of the forest.
how is it in macro?

i could replace my 100mm with this lens?

and i do have the kx and the k5 as well, but dont wanna carry more gear.

the 70-200 is a great lens. but the weight is a killer and takes up too much room. room i can use for snacks, or tripod, or something else of that nature.
According to both Adorama and B&H it is. Also what I have read on Tamron the Di series is full frame. The Di II series is APSC only. However I have never used the lens on anything let alone on a full frame. Here's a review mentioning testing on a Canon full frame: Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF Review

As for replacing the DFA 100 - well... maybe, but likely no. The lens can do 1:2 (half life size) but not with the same quality of the DFA 100. For casual use - I'm sure it would suffice. If you really like macro - maybe not. For travel macro - probably but you should read reviews and see if you can locate some shots on Flickr made with the lens.

EDIT: Some of these are impressive. Read the details. Some were made with extension tubes on top of the lens native magnification etc. https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=tamron%2070-300%20di%20ld%20macro