Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 03:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A quick trip to Austin but...

planning for a longer trip for river cruise in the fall.

My wife and I are heading to Austin Texas to visit our daughter for a long weekend. Looking forward to some good barbeque and tex mex plus a side trip to the Alamo. Anyway I'll being trying out my "vacation kit" the KP, the DA 20-40, FA 43, DA 18-135, and one of my Lenbabys (probably the Burnside 35) The Limiteds and the Burnside are the best of the kit and I'm trying to balance weight and convenience with this combo. I figure the 20-40 will do most of the work and will pull out the other lenses when the moment arises.

I'm also planning to use this kit this for a Danube river cruise (Prague to Budapest) in the fall, and I'm hoping the 18-135 will work for the on boat shots of architecture on the hills around the river. My other thought is to go with the K-1 with the 28-105, the FA 43 and the Burnside.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome, including sights to see.

the result of my GAS for lenses is below if anyone want see my other options:
DA 12-24, 15mm Limited, 21mm Limited, 31mm Limited, 77 Limited, 35 mm Plastic fantastic, 50 mm, Plastic fantastic, FA 50 mm 1.4, DA 55*, FA 50mm macro, DFA 100mm macro, 55-300 DAL, DFA 15-30 zoom, and DA 18-55 WR. DA10-17.

03-19-2018, 04:28 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
planning for a longer trip for river cruise in the fall.

My wife and I are heading to Austin Texas to visit our daughter for a long weekend. Looking forward to some good barbeque and tex mex plus a side trip to the Alamo. Anyway I'll being trying out my "vacation kit" the KP, the DA 20-40, FA 43, DA 18-135, and one of my Lenbabys (probably the Burnside 35) The Limiteds and the Burnside are the best of the kit and I'm trying to balance weight and convenience with this combo. I figure the 20-40 will do most of the work and will pull out the other lenses when the moment arises.

I'm also planning to use this kit this for a Danube river cruise (Prague to Budapest) in the fall, and I'm hoping the 18-135 will work for the on boat shots of architecture on the hills around the river. My other thought is to go with the K-1 with the 28-105, the FA 43 and the Burnside.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome, including sights to see. . . .
sounds like to me you have a couple of nice trips planned

I might be tempted to stick the D FA 100mm F2.8 macro into the kit just in case something triggers an urge for an attempt at 1:1 macro and it would give you a short telephoto as well as part of a " two for one " lens

I always think about sticking a " fast " lens for low light situations where the ability to use a flash is forbidden, [ I have the DA 50mm 1.8 ] you might want to consider that issue as well.

I don't know how " fast " your lenses might be, what is the maximum F stop available???

your " limiteds " might be interesting to carry should you have an empty jacket pocket or two ???

are you willing to spend more money regarding your GAS situation and if so, have you seen this thread??

Moman Mini Tripod - Greatest $30 Purchase in Last 5 Years! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

there has been a lot of recent conversation regarding that little tripod and ball head

I did get one but I haven't tried it out yet
03-19-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As much as I like my 18-135, I understand wishing to use the 20-40 since I have one as well. I personally would leave the 18-135 at home and bring the 55-300. That combo gets you less overlap and brings the distant hills in reach.

If also be tempted to bring the 12-24 or 10-17, but you have to decide when you have too much gear for the trip.
03-19-2018, 11:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the 10-17mm sometimes you want to take in the whole scene, the Danube river flows through some amazing terrain on both sides of the river, and it is also great for capturing the riverfront all to the way ip to the highest church spires as you pass through a city center

03-19-2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
sounds like to me you have a couple of nice trips planned

I might be tempted to stick the D FA 100mm F2.8 macro into the kit just in case something triggers an urge for an attempt at 1:1 macro and it would give you a short telephoto as well as part of a " two for one " lens

I always think about sticking a " fast " lens for low light situations where the ability to use a flash is forbidden, [ I have the DA 50mm 1.8 ] you might want to consider that issue as well.

I don't know how " fast " your lenses might be, what is the maximum F stop available???

your " limiteds " might be interesting to carry should you have an empty jacket pocket or two ???

are you willing to spend more money regarding your GAS situation and if so, have you seen this thread??

Moman Mini Tripod - Greatest $30 Purchase in Last 5 Years! - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

there has been a lot of recent conversation regarding that little tripod and ball head

I did get one but I haven't tried it out yet
Thanks Allen, I was thinking that the FA 43 would be a good fast lens since it's an f/1.9, and It's relatively small. I like macros and you've got me thinking I may end up bringing my Raynox 250 so I can pop it on one of my lenses. And a small tripods always a must for me too. I have a Manfroto Pixi Evo tripod, that goes every where and is nice and small too.

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 10:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As much as I like my 18-135, I understand wishing to use the 20-40 since I have one as well. I personally would leave the 18-135 at home and bring the 55-300. That combo gets you less overlap and brings the distant hills in reach.

If also be tempted to bring the 12-24 or 10-17, but you have to decide when you have too much gear for the trip.
Yeah I've been strongly thinking about both of those lenses. I think the fisheye might make it into the bag just because it's fisheye zoom and could be a lot of fun to play with especially for interiors.

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 10:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I like the 10-17mm sometimes you want to take in the whole scene, the Danube river flows through some amazing terrain on both sides of the river, and it is also great for capturing the riverfront all to the way ip to the highest church spires as you pass through a city center
You and Uncle Vanya may push me over the edge for the 10 to 17!
03-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
welcome to Austin!
You are going to see the best time of Austin. Wide flowers are blooming and the ground is covered by all kinds of color!
I think your gear should serve you well at Austin, unless you want to visit the capitol building or the caves nearby, then you might need a wider lens; You might want a wide lens at the riverwalk at San Antonio; or you might need a macro lens if you like filming the details of flowers. Otherwise, maybe FA 77 for portrait of/with your girl?
A HSS flash helps if you want to do environmental portraits, sunlight is strong and harsh.
Enjoy your trip!