Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
" if the creek don't rise " photos from Yellowstone National Park

" if the creek don't rise " -

I will be rising early tomorrow to catch a flight from Kansas City to O'Hare in Chicago then to Bozeman International Air Port ( in Belgrade Montana, not Bozeman and yes I head east to go west, who am I to judge ?) and then drive south to Yellowstone National Park. I expect to fly back on May 21

and " if the creek don't rise" I expect to meet up with gaweidert for a time and enjoy the Park with him for a while

( unfortunately a third forum member had who planned to join us, but he will not be able to - here is hoping he gets well soon. )

although I am not sure how often I will be uploading photos about the trip to this thread, I will do my best. not sure about WiFi inside the park

my encounter wish list starts with cougars ( they are there but not very likely at all) badger ( hey last year a group found one ) grizzly and black bear, bison, wolf, eagles, owls, osprey etc, etc, etc,

however my thoughts about trying out astrophotography for the first time appears to be not so good

new moon and expected cloud cover

wish us luck

05-13-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, I don't think that we will see a cougar. I figure that they will be up high. I did get a few lousy photos of a badger last year. dwalt and wtlwdwgn did better. Hopefully see a wolf, but I figure they will be far away. You forgot coyotes. One came to within 20 feet of me last year. When the wolves were introduced they killed about half the coyotes in the park. The coyotes have learned to stay near the road and whee people congregate as the wolves tend to avoid those areas. I would like to see a moose or two. Last year we kept missing them by a matter of minutes. Will be driving by Chicago somewhere between 3 and 4PM tomorrow down on I80.

My plan is to drive from Rochester, NY to somewhere in Iowa tomorrow. Des Moines if I am up to it. (940 miles) Then to Spearfish South Dakota on Tuesday and arrive in Gardiner sometime in the late afternoon on Wednesday. About 2,100 miles. As someone who used to fly in the good old days I have come to loathe the experience and would rather drive than fly anywhere in North America. Besides I must be on some terrorist watch list as I am continually pulled out of line for extra inspection. Once on all four legs of the trip. On that trip we were flying to see on of our sons graduate from boot camp.
05-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have fun guys and good luck "hunting"!
05-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, I don't think that we will see a cougar. I figure that they will be up high. I did get a few lousy photos of a badger last year. dwalt and wtlwdwgn did better. Hopefully see a wolf, but I figure they will be far away. You forgot coyotes. One came to within 20 feet of me last year. When the wolves were introduced they killed about half the coyotes in the park. The coyotes have learned to stay near the road and whee people congregate as the wolves tend to avoid those areas. I would like to see a moose or two. . . .
last year actually saw ( no chance to take photo ) two coyotes chasing away a wolf out on the eastern entrance road near Lake Yellowstone while on the Park's photo tour

guide said he had heard of what we saw but it was the first time in his long career that he actually saw it.

said most likely it was a lone wolf and the coyotes were protecting a den

saw a wolf come down to the Yellowstone River and feed on duck/goose eggs

also saw a moose out in the Lamar Valley, a long way off

05-13-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, this is all the gear I will be bringing. The suitcase is holding my three biggest lenses. There will only be one suitcase for clothing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
05-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I did see a cougar yesterday. Road kill around mile marker 31 on I29 northbound in South Dakota.

On Monday I drove 920 miles (1481 km) from Rochester, NY to Des Moines Iowa. Today was a shorter day. Only 780 miles (155 km). From Des Moines Iowa to Gillette, Wyoming. tomorrow will be a short day. Only 401 miles (645 km) to Gillette, Montana.
05-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I see your miles are varying in length. :-)

05-17-2018, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Contact

yesterday PM, I came out of the park to the travel lodge in Gardiner to meet George who was driving in

after I finished checking in, I turned around and George introduced himself

what timing

we unpacked and then went back into the park

while waiting for the wolfs north of Slough Creek turn off, I grabbed some photos

a red tail hawk appeared

[ heavily cropped and pp ]

it was soaring a long way up

[ perhaps my best ever BIF ]

you better run

[ SOC ]

and I mean RUN

[ cropped and pp ]
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-17-2018 at 03:55 AM.
05-17-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I see your miles are varying in length. :-)
I like to get a lot of driving out of the way up the first day.

A shot from this morning. Cross posted.

Last edited by gaweidert; 05-17-2018 at 08:09 PM.
05-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I like to get a lot of driving out of the way up the first day.
I was referring to how you converted miles to km. 780 miles => 155 km; 401 miles => 645 km.
05-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I was referring to how you converted miles to km. 780 miles => 155 km; 401 miles => 645 km.
Typo after a tiring day.
05-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Typo after a tiring day.
These days at YNP are fun

But tiring

Thanks George for letting me hang out with you
05-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I will be rising early tomorrow to catch a flight from Kansas City to O'Hare in Chicago then to Bozeman International Air Port ( in Belgrade Montana, not Bozeman and yes I head east to go west, who am I to judge ?) and then drive south to Yellowstone National Park. I expect to fly back on May 21.

Why would you fly around 1,600 miles when you could drive around 900?

My plan is to drive from Rochester, NY to somewhere in Iowa tomorrow. Des Moines if I am up to it. (940 miles) Then to Spearfish South Dakota on Tuesday and arrive in Gardiner sometime in the late afternoon on Wednesday. About 2,100 miles.

Sounds like a great plan.

Hope the trip was good, and the return trip good as well.

As someone who used to fly in the good old days I have come to loathe the experience and would rather drive than fly anywhere in North America.

I have to agree. Flying commercial has become a burdensome and expensive task these days.

Besides, I can drive from Seattle, WA to Jacksonville, FL in about 3 days, and see all manner of neat stuff.

And eat meals when I choose, rather than try and grab an overpriced and crappy meal in an airport café.

We all know that airlines don't feed passengers anymore, and the "snacks" they offer are awful, as well as overpriced.
05-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Only 401 miles (645 km) to Gillette, Montana.

Must be a typo.

Been through Wyoming and Montana many times, and never been to Gillette, Montana.
05-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Must be a typo.

Been through Wyoming and Montana many times, and never been to Gillette, Montana.
From Gillette, Wyoming to Gardiner. Montana