Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the kit outside of your lenses as well as there's just too many going along. Here's a list from what you have;
DA 15
DA 16-85

A faster 28, 35, or 50mm lens would be nice if you've got one. FA 28, FA 35, or DA 50 1.8. I don't see one listed. Another combo could be a DA 15, FA 28, and DA 70. That'd be pretty awesome.

05-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Da 16-85
And one prime. Da 70, DFA 100, da 35 macro

More storage. WiFi sucks in many places. I took 4 64gb with my lx-7 which is only 10mp.
05-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Thanks for the tips!!

I picked up another 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro card and a shoulder bag for day-to-day walking around.
I'm primarily a wildlife shooter so leaving the DA*300 behind will be tough, but I think it's the right call...

I'm bringing the smaller Wasabi charger I have since the dedicated Pentax one takes up a good bit of room in the bag.

Hopefully these are all the right calls!
At the end of the day, if the camera fails I'm not worried cuz I'll have an incredible time exploring and relaxing with my wife and that's what is most important on this trip!

Cheers!
Logan
I know what you mean about leaving the 300 behind, I get the same feeling myself when I leave my 55-300 behind on European trips but I don't miss it when I'm there. I also bring a smaller charger to help with weight and space. So, I'd say yes, you're making all the right calls. I hope you'll come back and post some photos.
05-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would skip the 16-85, 300, TC, tripod, filter and shutter release.

05-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I don't know if you need an actual "Power Converter" brick, just a plug adapter will do. Check the tiny print on the back of your D-LI90 Charger. It should say something like "100V-240V" and"50-60Hz" which means the charger can handle the wall-socket voltages and frequencies found around the world. So all you need is a tiny adapter that plugs into Switzerland/Italy wall sockets and lets you plug the battery charger into the adapter.

More memory cards are always welcome. I rotate my cards on a daily basis during a trip so that most of the cards (and photos) are in the luggage and only a couple are in the camera or camera bag (which is a greater target for thieves and easier to lose). If you are truly paranoid, get one large card and put it in a small SD card box on a lanyard around your neck. At the end of each day, copy the day's photos to the large card as a safe backup that is always under your shirt.
Can confirm. The charger works with 240V.
05-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I would skip the 16-85, 300, TC, tripod, filter and shutter release.
Interesting... Why leave the 16-85 behind?
I actually purchased it specifically for the trip hahah

Figured WR and having zoom was handy when traveling so not have to worry about swapping lenses

FWIW it was a tough decision at the time since I am a prime guy... This is the only zoom lens I own.

Testing it out actually has been good so far; IQ is decent. Not comparative to the limited lenses, but still nice for the price and versatility

---------- Post added 05-24-18 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I know what you mean about leaving the 300 behind, I get the same feeling myself when I leave my 55-300 behind on European trips but I don't miss it when I'm there. I also bring a smaller charger to help with weight and space. So, I'd say yes, you're making all the right calls. I hope you'll come back and post some photos.
Cheers!
Much appreciated... I need that peace of mind, when leaving my beloved behind....

---------- Post added 05-24-18 at 12:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Da 16-85
And one prime. Da 70, DFA 100, da 35 macro

More storage. WiFi sucks in many places. I took 4 64gb with my lx-7 which is only 10mp.
I picked up one more 64GB card... Hoping that will be enough.
That gives me 128GB total.

Maybe I need more haha

I still have time to order another one or two off amazon before end of next week...

---------- Post added 05-24-18 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I like the kit outside of your lenses as well as there's just too many going along. Here's a list from what you have;
DA 15
DA 16-85

A faster 28, 35, or 50mm lens would be nice if you've got one. FA 28, FA 35, or DA 50 1.8. I don't see one listed. Another combo could be a DA 15, FA 28, and DA 70. That'd be pretty awesome.
So I've narrowed it down to the 16-85; DA15; DFA100; 1.4xTC.

I would love to add a 28mm or a fast normal prime but that's just not gonna happen before we leave.

Ideally I'd bring along an FA31... That lens has been on my list for quite some time...

Even an old 50mm 1.4 would be good. But still not gonna happen before we leave unfortunately.

---------- Post added 05-24-18 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
DA 15
DA 16-85

Right... So that's kinda something I'm missing from my kit in general.

My fastest lens is my DA70 at f2.4

---------- Post added 05-24-18 at 12:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I like to take the 16-85 and one fast lens. I like the Sigma 30/1.4 for inside. Used ones are cheap. I also like the Sigma 24/1.8, but itís heavy and hard to find.
Yeah I keep regretting not owning a fast lens... Never really needed one before as I'm usually happy with the 35mm at F2.8 but a 30/1.4 would be nice.
05-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA 50 1.8's are practically free! FREE! And I find that I reach for my DA 50 way before my DA 35 2.4.

I totally agree with having a 16-85 on a trip like this for general versatility, IQ, and the WR aspects it brings. Same thinking I have with my 18-135. I just have a weird soft spot for 28mm on crop and on full-frame both.
05-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed on the value of a 50/1.8. You can't touch it with just about any other modern lens.

05-24-2018, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 15, DA 16-85, DFA 100 and the HD DA 1.4x? Not a bad reduction in gear and still very capable. In case you do not know this - do NOT use the HD DA 1.4x on the DA 15 - I've done it but there is a note in the acceptable use info from Pentax that states the rear element and the HD DA can damage one another. I suffered no issues, nor did Sandy Hancock but the potential for damage is there. It seems unlikely that you would need to use this combo but I am just making sure you know ahead of time.

Enjoy the trip!

If you are wanting to make backups - take a portable hard drive with SD card reader built in.
05-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
DA 15, DA 16-85, DFA 100 and the HD DA 1.4x? Not a bad reduction in gear and still very capable. In case you do not know this - do NOT use the HD DA 1.4x on the DA 15 - I've done it but there is a note in the acceptable use info from Pentax that states the rear element and the HD DA can damage one another. I suffered no issues, nor did Sandy Hancock but the potential for damage is there. It seems unlikely that you would need to use this combo but I am just making sure you know ahead of time.

Enjoy the trip!

If you are wanting to make backups - take a portable hard drive with SD card reader built in.
Thanks!

I'm aware of the potential damage caused by the TC with DA15. But the reminder is appreciated!

---------- Post added 05-24-18 at 01:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Agreed on the value of a 50/1.8. You can't touch it with just about any other modern lens.
Yeahhh maybe I can find one cheap before I go...

Though, I really don't like the 50mm focal length on APS-C

Not sure what it is exactly.
It's too long and too short at the same time. Partially the reason I went with the DA35 macro and the DA70.
Both of those make sense to me when shooting on crop sensor.
05-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

I'm aware of the potential damage caused by the TC with DA15. But the reminder is appreciated!

---------- Post added 05-24-18 at 01:30 PM ----------

Yeahhh maybe I can find one cheap before I go...

Though, I really don't like the 50mm focal length on APS-C

Not sure what it is exactly.
It's too long and too short at the same time. Partially the reason I went with the DA35 macro and the DA70.
Both of those make sense to me when shooting on crop sensor.
I kind of feel the same way. With a modern body and those lenses you should be fine for low light, especially if you have a tripod. But when I do use the 50 it usually works out fine.
05-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I kind of feel the same way. With a modern body and those lenses you should be fine for low light, especially if you have a tripod. But when I do use the 50 it usually works out fine.
Now there is an FA31 in the marketplace right now I could maybbbeee sneak into the bag without my wife noticing?! lol
05-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now there is an FA31 in the marketplace right now I could maybbbeee sneak into the bag without my wife noticing?! lol
Hmmm, yeah I like the looks of it as well. I'm going to try to resist temptation!
05-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my trips to Europe with either K-3/K-5/K20D or K-1, I find that I tend to use my FA31 the most of all, with the DA15 not far behind for interiors. Just to tempt you even further, I’ve also been finding my FA43 gets more use, now I’ve got a K-1, but you might care to think about that if you go that way, too.

As an aside, I know it’s popular for people to say “put down your camera, and make pictures in your mind”, but I suspect you’ll find the pictures are better reminders than your memory – the brain doesn’t work like a hard drive (except when it fails, of course ).

Lastly, unless that’s your style of photography, I rarely use a long FL lens while I’m travelling, so the advice to leave the DA*300 at home corresponds with my experience. I did use my old Tamron 28-200 on a recent river cruise in Europe, but the long end only came in handy for some shots of distant castles in the Rhine Gorge (and I could leave it in the cabin when we went ashore).
05-24-2018, 05:11 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Interesting... Why leave the 16-85 behind?
I actually purchased it specifically for the trip hahah

Figured WR and having zoom was handy when traveling so not have to worry about swapping lenses
You have the 15, 35, and 70 (and 100? ) with you. You should either A) Time your lens swaps better, or B) Find a shot with what you have on the camera at the time.

Sometimes you can walk around with one lens, then re-walk around with another, looking for different shots.

If you truly bought the 16-85 specifically for the trip then you could leave your 15, 35 and 70 :-)

I had an 8-day vacation in New York City with only the 10-17 FE, 12-24 and 17-70. Of course that city is very compact but I only "wanted something longer" about once.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-24-2018 at 05:22 PM.