Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
info and advice sought about Phoenix

may be traveling to Phoenix Arizona the week of September 17

primarily to go to Cubs vs. Diamondbacks games but wondering if anyone has any suggestions on other things to do there

neither of us have been in Phoenix except for a short lay over at the air port

of course, I am looking for photographic opportunities first

thanks

07-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grand Canyon isn't too far if you can rent a car and spare two days. (Too much for a day trip I think)
07-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
good idea but wouldn't have the time

looking for suggestions for activity in the Phoenix area itself, not a distance away from it
07-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I remember correctly the botanical garden was very cool

07-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
thanks for the suggestion

cool will be appreciated in Phoenix

Average Weather in September in Phoenix, Arizona, United States - Weather Spark
07-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was there only for a day but I remember there were lots of insects, birds and cacti.
07-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I spent time near Chandler and that area. It was mostly "new" and "cookie cutter". I spent my free time driving up to the canyon area so I may have missed a lot.
07-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boyce Thompson Arboretum is not far outside of Phoenix to the East.

07-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #9

I live in North Phoenix, ... Phoenix, like most cities, is just another big city... I believe the game will be in the ballpark that is downtown (Chase Field). There are plenty of interesting things in the downtown area and places to escape the heat. September will be ..!HOT!.. The "Light Rail" train can get you around the city at very reasonable prices and I think it's fun. If you get on Google Maps you can kind of look downtown over and get an idea of whats there. If you'll be there the three days (Sep. 17th, 18th and 19th) and have some transportation, the Tempe downtown area is interesting as is old town Scottsdale. Phoenix has all the standard tourist traps, zoos, shops, museums. Which can be interesting if your into that stuff. Google maps can be your friend and a little google search for Phoenix area attractions can give you a pretty good overview of whats available. The Chase Field stadium it self is interesting. Happy Travels.

Last edited by Roadboat24; 07-13-2018 at 11:51 AM.
07-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I can second this suggestion - a really neat garden.

If you like pizza, a real fun place to go is Organ Stop Pizza (Organ Stop Pizza | Home of the Mighty Wurlitzer) in Mesa. They have an unbelievable Wurlitzer organ - you really have to experience it to believe it! And, the pizza isn't bad either! If you go, be aware - cash only!!
07-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, let me start off by saying that Phoenix is the epitome of the car city. The greater metro area is 9,000 square miles large. There is no real distinction in the conglomeration of one city to the next. There are several downtown areas, with tall buildings - but it does not really present any excellent compelling citylight images. There is the light rail system coupled with the buses, but it can and will take hours to really get anywhere.
  • Within the Phoenix area are the usual zoo, desert botanical gardens, science museums, some specific items - Scottsdale's Museum of the West, Hall of Flame Museum of Firefighting, Heard Museum, Penske Racing Museum, Commemorative Air Force Museum, Buddy Stubbs Harley-Davidson The MIM or Musical Instrument Museum is very good.
  • Taliesin West - which is the place to shoot architecture - is Frank Lloyd Wright's winter retreat and studio.
  • The Apache Trail - is about a 100 mile loop drive (part dirt roads, graded and not rutted - can't really get lost) through old time Arizona. Take lots of water with you. It's an all day trip. Lots and lots of photo opportunities - especially early in the morning and late in the afternoon. It starts in Apache Junction and ends in Superior.
  • Jerome, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon - About an easy 2 hour drive north of Phoenix. Jerome is a lightly populated silver and gold mining town. Sedona - the red rocks, and Oak Creek Canyon is landscape shooting at its best. Sedona is filled with restaurants. It makes a good day trip.

07-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No questions short drive to Sedona
07-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In Phoenix is the Phoenix Zoo, the Desert Botanical Garden, Arizona State University (in Tempe next door) which is an official botanical garden, hiking on South Mountain or Piestewa Peak (formerly Squaw Peak), the Phoenix Art Museum, Japanese Gardens, Encanto Park, Taliesin West (Frank Loyd Wright home and school) . All of these have lots of photo opportunities and are near central Phoenix. I could have gone on for pages but this will get you started.
07-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you say air conditioning?

On the north side of Phoenix is the Musical Instrument Museum - huge. 9AM-5PM every day.
https://mim.org/

I just selected these at random from a couple hundred.

They have a piano you can play.

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-14-2018 at 07:57 PM.
07-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
About an hour southeast is the Casa Grande ruins near Coolidge, not Casa Grande....