Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

NYC to Boston trip in early Fall

Friends, I will be traveling to NYC to meet some family who will be flying in from overseas for a few days. We plan to be in NYC Sept 26-29 together, and then plan to drive up to Boston where we will disperse on/about Oct 5. The hope is to drive some back-roads on the way to Boston to catch some fall foliage, if it isn't too soon (I hope). I am seeking opinions/suggestions on the route to take, perhaps even indulge in some B&B stays en-route, so that we could be in Boston by Oct 2. I'm open to the idea of taking a train/flight from NYC to Boston, and then renting a car from there, instead of NYC, and exploring some real interesting nature photography opportunities outside of Boston.

Thank you, in advance, for your kindest suggestions.

07-15-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Leaf color changes inland earlier than it does along the coast. Consider heading north from NYC. The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams is worth a visit if you're not too tired of museums after NYC. Then take Route 2 all the way to Boston, it's a more scenic route than the Mass Turnpike. This path is approx 6 hours total driving, while the most direct highway route using I-95 through Connecticut is around half that time.

Don't lock in your NYC->Boston route too far in advance. Wait until leaf color maps get updated in early autumn, then pick a route with good color.
07-18-2018, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Leaf color changes inland earlier than it does along the coast. Consider heading north from NYC. The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams is worth a visit if you're not too tired of museums after NYC. Then take Route 2 all the way to Boston, it's a more scenic route than the Mass Turnpike. This path is approx 6 hours total driving, while the most direct highway route using I-95 through Connecticut is around half that time.

Don't lock in your NYC->Boston route too far in advance. Wait until leaf color maps get updated in early autumn, then pick a route with good color.
Many thanks for this info. I will explore this routing. I had a chance to review some commentary on the Road Trip America forums, and your routing has not been mentioned. Is there a website that declares the best fall drives each year? I guess "google" can tell me. Any tips about staying along the way for a night? I'd love to be able to consider a cabin in the hills for 1-2 nights, but I need to wait to know more concrete travel plans. Regardless, any suggestions are welcome.

In terms of equipment, I was planning on simply taking my K5 and F28/2.8 or ZK 35/F2. I also have an older manual Sigma wide 24/F2.8 (my copy seems sharp, though). These are about the widest lenses I own, and I wasn't thinking about buying anything else. I'm planning on keeping the kit "FF Friendly" for the future. I can borrow the 18-135 DA lens, though. I'm happy to take suggestions/ideas.

Thanks, again, to all.
07-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Note that I recommended North Adams, MA because it has a good art museum, galleries, and other stuff to do. I'm familiar with the area from summertime trips. I've never leaf-peeped there, but it seems to be a popular activity around the time you'll be in the area. Fall Foliage Festival and Fall Foliage Parade | Explore North Adams

If northwest Massachusetts is a bust because the color change happens earlier or later than anticipated, a detour into Vermont or southern Massachusetts should get you at a good place.

If Bear Mountain and Harriman State Parks in NY get early color in time for your trip (they are usually best mid-late October), only visit Mon-Fri. Those parks are near NYC and get extremely crowded on weekends.

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
Is there a website that declares the best fall drives each year?
There are many websites dedicated to fall foliage. I don't recall specific websites that recommend driving routes, though. Peak Fall Foliage Map has a low-resolution nationwide map of average peak color. You can see individual state details by clicking the map. The map supports my thoughts that in late September you have to head north and away from the ocean for good color. It's better to arrive a little too early than too late for leaves, so don't misread the map to think you have to head all the way to northern Maine.

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
F28/2.8 or ZK 35/F2. I also have an older manual Sigma wide 24/F2.8
I suggest the 24 and 35 so you have a choice of focal lengths. Or, borrow the 18-135; that gives you versatility plus weather resistance. Moderate telephoto from the 18-135 is nice to have if you find a vantage point at a cliff overlook or bridge.

Here's an example of 100mm from the Bear Mountain Bridge: