Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stay off US 1 as others have said, when you head out on ME 3 towards Bar Harbor, If you message me a day or so prior, You can say hello and I will show you the Liberty, Lake St George area. A good place for a break on the way to Acadia. or even buy you a blueberry sour ale if the Lake St George brewery is open.

I would Avoid OOB (Old Orchard beach) during high season unless you want to take a picture of a blanket of Quebecois tourists and not sand as it is usually Hip to hip on the beach there. Also overpriced and difficult to even park there.

If you want cool geology and beach with lighthouse there is Pemaquid Point which has some great scenery but is abit out of the way. Camden Hills, MT. beatty has some cool scars on the rocks from retreating glaciers up near the observation point, but if geology isn't your thing, stick to Acadia and if you get the chance, Owl's head Lighthouse and state park has some great views and nice fairly uncrowded beaches. Secluded beach by Thomas Needham - Photo 261190037 / 500px
and Southern Exposure Owl's Head by Thomas Needham - Photo 261190239 / 500px

Lobsters you can buy from actual lobstermen and they are easy as long as you have lemon and butter! Wife just bought 2 culls (1 clawed) that weighed about 2 and 3/4 pounds with 2 pounds of steamer clams for 20.00. She gets lobster for two or three meals, the cat gets the green tomalley (green liver guts, Yuch) and is happy, I get home made clam chowder and I am happy

Don't rush to do anything other than use your eyes and take some pictures. Trying to follow a rigid schedule will just stress you out. PM me if you have more questions.

---------- Post added 08-04-18 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I expect to eat a lot of lobster and fish-n-chips on this trip. I see Gritty McDuff's is also in Freeport as well as downtown Portland.
Will try to avoid pizza and Italian subs. I already get my fill of that in the NYC area.
There are much better brew pubs than this one, I have one in my little town with amazing food and good beer, (SWMBO and I each had one with dinner tonight,) just they are only open Thursday though Sunday.
Gritty's and Seadog Brew Pubs are pricey but to someone from NY it may seem reasonable! My other local brew Pub has brilliant beers but no kitchen, but a great local café steps away as well as the best Ice ream in the US another 15 yards past that. The Owner has been making Ice cream for 50+ years and it makes Ben and Jerry's taste like ice milk!

08-05-2018, 04:54 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always take Rt.1 up the coast from Brunswick, and yes the traffic can be frustrating, especially through Wiscasset. The Botanical Garden, Pemaquid, a Puffin tour (there is one out of New Harbor on the Hardy Boat line) all sound good. Popham beach is amazingly beautiful. It was our go to beach when I lived in Brunswick. For Museums, The Portland Museum, Bowdoin College Museum, and the Farnsworth (Rockland) are all great and on your route. The Langlais Farm in Cushing has a lot of sculptures by this amazing artist, too. That said I typically take the Rockland bypass myself, (Rt 90?). I just got back from the Schoodic Institute last week, and have pretty deep roots in the Gouldsboro bay area. Schoodic Point is one of the amazing places to visit. I was fogged in my whole trip, but that's part of Maine, especially Downeast, and I love it, too. Lunch at the wharf in Corea is always part of my trip. The photographic opportunities are endless. You may have left this weekend.
08-05-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did Portland yesterday. Torrential rain early afternoon but sun was back at 5pm. 2 nice rainbows. Saw the Portland Museum of Art, Portland Head Lighthouse, 2 smaller lights, and LL Bean.

Currently sitting on a Puffin cruise boat waiting to pull away from dock. Cap'n Fish in Boothbay Harbor. Another passenger is trying to use a tripod ... on a moving boat. Good luck with that.
08-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
I did Portland yesterday. Torrential rain early afternoon but sun was back at 5pm. 2 nice rainbows. Saw the Portland Museum of Art, Portland Head Lighthouse, 2 smaller lights, and LL Bean.

Currently sitting on a Puffin cruise boat waiting to pull away from dock. Cap'n Fish in Boothbay Harbor. Another passenger is trying to use a tripod ... on a moving boat. Good luck with that.
Haha on the tripod. When I went the waves weren’t too bad, but it was still hard to focus on those cute little puffins. They fly fast. Good luck and hope to see some pictures of your trip. I love it when people visit my home state.

08-05-2018, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Stay off US 1 as others have said, when you head out on ME 3 towards Bar Harbor, If you message me a day or so prior, You can say hello and I will show you the Liberty, Lake St George area. A good place for a break on the way to Acadia. or even buy you a blueberry sour ale if the Lake St George brewery is open.
Oh, wow, you're practically a neighbor! I'm down the road in South China!
08-10-2018, 06:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Photos from the trip in "Post Your Photos" forum:
Pemaquid Point Milky Way and Mars - PentaxForums.com
Pemaquid Point Lighthouse Dawn - PentaxForums.com
Fog Rolling over Porcupine Islands - PentaxForums.com
Dusk Fog Creeping Over Bar Harbor, Maine - PentaxForums.com

We were there during a heat wave. Days were near 90F and I don't think nights dipped below 67F. High humidity, haze, and air quality alerts. My 20 mile bike ride through Acadia's carriage roads was fun but exhausting in that weather.

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
Haha on the tripod. When I went the waves weren’t too bad, but it was still hard to focus on those cute little puffins. They fly fast. Good luck and hope to see some pictures of your trip. I love it when people visit my home state.
This was the best I could do for puffins, and a guillemot too. The technical crutch (a very welcome crutch!) of image stabilization wasn't designed for boating.

08-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Photos from the trip in "Post Your Photos" forum:
Pemaquid Point Milky Way and Mars - PentaxForums.com
Pemaquid Point Lighthouse Dawn - PentaxForums.com
Fog Rolling over Porcupine Islands - PentaxForums.com
Dusk Fog Creeping Over Bar Harbor, Maine - PentaxForums.com

We were there during a heat wave. Days were near 90F and I don't think nights dipped below 67F. High humidity, haze, and air quality alerts. My 20 mile bike ride through Acadia's carriage roads was fun but exhausting in that weather.

This was the best I could do for puffins, and a guillemot too. The technical crutch (a very welcome crutch!) of image stabilization wasn't designed for boating.

Great pictures of the puffins and guillemot.
It sure was hot, I’ve never hiked through Acadia, but I know it’s beautiful. Hope you had a nice vacation