Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any storm chasers here?

Please let me know if this could be posted in a more suitable part of the forum, but I'd like to hear some stories from people who have chased storms - especially lightning storms! Stories of things going right, going wrong, and tales of lucky success.

I'd also like to here from any Australians living in the north of Western Australia or the Northern Territory ( Broome, Kununurra, Darwin, etc. ) about the lightning storms that happen there during the summer months, as I'm considering heading up to try and catch one - I've heard they are spectacular!

I've developed an interest in trying to do some lightning captures, after some minor unexpected success a while ago ( previous post ). I'm curious as to how people plan for the storms, how they predict their behaviour ( read: get results whilst not getting struck by lightning ), and the camera gear as well.

I'm a little apprehensive about camera gear in the respect of how many, if not most, of my lenses are currently behaving. Any relatively strong light source shining into the lens from near the side of the lens' field of view tends to throw up horrendous hexagonal or octagonal spots in a random pattern. It's something I've encountered before which nearly cost me the above shot ( another previous thread ), and I'm interested in whether anyone else has had shots being compromised ( not necessarily ruined ) by this as well and how to deal with it.

I'd hate to put time and effort into getting a good setup for a lightning capture and have it happen again.

08-30-2018, 04:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I am not a storm chaser. I live on a boat and try to avoid them if I can! Though I do love to see the shots others have taken. So do please post them!
08-30-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Scotch.
08-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Always had an intrest in doing it at least once.