Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #16

Prague is beautiful, and a wonderful city to explore if you just have a day. There's multiple free walking tours a day. The architecture is absolutely stunning. The locals keep the city gorgeous and clean. I was there on Christmas Eve (this is when locals celebrate the holiday) and by the end of the evening there was garbage all over the streets. The next morning the city was so spotless it looked like no one lived there.

All that said, I'd personally go for Berlin. Prague is beautiful, but it feels like Disney Land, it's so sickeningly gorgeous and clean it feels a bit fake. Berlin has much more varied architecture, you get a wonderful juxtaposition of the old with the new. There's a bit of grunge if you like that. There's more open spaces if you're trying to be slow and deliberate. There's a lot to see too, with a much more real modern city feeling. Take that in to account if you prefer slice of life street photos. Most importantly for myself, the locals seemed a whole lot more friendly In Berlin and made me feel safe. The people of Prague reminded me of New York: everyone is grumpy, there's a sense that the locals don't like tourists and the ones which are pleasant make you worried that they're trying to rip you off.

09-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All three of them have way more than enough to offer for a day. I would simply minimize travel time and visit whatever is closest.
09-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
Prague is beautiful, and a wonderful city to explore if you just have a day. There's multiple free walking tours a day. The architecture is absolutely stunning. The locals keep the city gorgeous and clean. I was there on Christmas Eve (this is when locals celebrate the holiday) and by the end of the evening there was garbage all over the streets. The next morning the city was so spotless it looked like no one lived there.

All that said, I'd personally go for Berlin. Prague is beautiful, but it feels like Disney Land, it's so sickeningly gorgeous and clean it feels a bit fake. Berlin has much more varied architecture, you get a wonderful juxtaposition of the old with the new. There's a bit of grunge if you like that. There's more open spaces if you're trying to be slow and deliberate. There's a lot to see too, with a much more real modern city feeling. Take that in to account if you prefer slice of life street photos. Most importantly for myself, the locals seemed a whole lot more friendly In Berlin and made me feel safe. The people of Prague reminded me of New York: everyone is grumpy, there's a sense that the locals don't like tourists and the ones which are pleasant make you worried that they're trying to rip you off.
Disney is fake and Prague has real castles etc.
09-05-2018, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
If you have to choose one choose Prague, but consider Vienna
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I personally would still pick Prague. However, either would be tough to take in in 1 day.
My wife will be in Europe for 3 weeks. Vienna is also on the list!

09-05-2018, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Prague and Vienna if you have car nice drive beetven both
09-05-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Prague and Vienna if you have car nice drive beetven both
The train ride between Vienna and Prague is awesome. I did it over Christmas 2016 after a snow.
09-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #22
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. I haven't decided yet, but probably leaning towards Prague.

I will post my best shot when I return (October).

09-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have a great time!