Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, of course, Bertwert, great compact setup you can take anywhere!
That's the plan, it's a family visit rather than a photo trip. Though from Glasgow to Dunbeath, we'll take the scenic route going through the Trossachs, Glencoe, Fort William, Fort Augustus, by Loch Ness. Lots of photo opportunities there. I'll take it as an experiment, as I'm planning on paring down my kit at home as well.

09-23-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking back on my poorer days, I'm amazed that I lived, travelled and shot with only a prime lens and a K1000, and still took a lot of great pictures. Keeping to one or two lenses I paired with a body that I really knew well probably helped a lot. Early this year I had only an 18-135mm and a 40mm XS, and I really didn't feel ike I needed anything else. I also came to know both lenses really well on my K-5. FWIW, the 40mm XS is always in my camera bag, it's my "go-to" lens when I just want to have a DSLR without all the bulk of another lens, and I've seldom been disappointed with it in most situations.
09-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Now his Claymore is another story, most seriously manly, it measured five feet four inches including the hilt, and was used both at the Battle of Stirling 1297 and the Battle of Falkirk 1298.

There is this fascination with Big Things, KD. At Edinburgh Castle, this one used to be chocked up with wood and pointed at the fort walls of enemies of the Stuarts:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7  Photo 
09-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's the plan, it's a family visit rather than a photo trip. Though from Glasgow to Dunbeath, we'll take the scenic route going through the Trossachs, Glencoe, Fort William, Fort Augustus, by Loch Ness. Lots of photo opportunities there. I'll take it as an experiment, as I'm planning on paring down my kit at home as well.

Didn't go to Augustus but the rest are great. My wife and I walked in the Trossachs …

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7  Photo 
09-24-2018, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, the 40mm XS is always in my camera bag, it's my "go-to" lens when I just want to have a DSLR without all the bulk of another lens,
Sure, Rob, I'm always bemused by the 'what lenses should I take?' threads, since only we know our shooting styles.

Somebody each day going with me to the same locations is going to take different shots, unless we both lack imagination.

That 40mm fits in very well with a lot of possible combinations though - slightly long on APS-C, slightly wide on FF - and it's so small that you can take it as a de facto lens cap.

Bert's selection of it and the DA21 Limited means he's only carrying two pancakes - a nice setup.
09-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #21
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
There is this fascination with Big Things, KD.
Indeed and why not?
09-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Didn't go to Augustus but the rest are great. My wife and I walked in the Trossachs …
Aye, it is a lovely area, unfortunately we're short on time.

Bert's selection of it and the DA21 Limited means he's only carrying two pancakes - a nice setup.
That's the plan to have a real compact setup, with good image quality.

The 21 is in the post office ready to pick up, I'll go get it now!
I can't wait to get home this evening and play, it's been a long two weeks waiting in anticipation.