Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 12:20 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Scotland Trip

They've just had one of their best summers, but one of the wetter starts to autumn too as my wife and I visit for the first time. We did a loop of Glasgow - Fort William - Skye - Inverness - Orkney, and are heading to the States on Monday. A few shots here, mainly with walkaround setup of my Sony A7 with a 10-18 zoom and the FA31/FA77 Limiteds.

A shoutout to forum stalwart @Kerrowdown, who gave up time to meet us at Loch Ness and show us around. For those wondering what he looks like, he's seven feet tall, with a huge red beard and the smell of anti-midge lotion emanating from under his kilt. More seriously, he's an intelligent, generous bloke who's wonderful company. I love meeting fellow members, so if anyone in Idaho might be able to manage a drink in the next couple of weeks, do PM me.

Oh, at Urquhart Castle, @rodgrant, we were told that due to a reexamination of documents, the Grants no longer have title to it, and in fact, there's a warrant for your arrest. A beautiful spot, but bring a lawyer next time you visit!

Last edited by clackers; 09-22-2018 at 02:11 AM.
09-22-2018, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely shots Clackers!
09-22-2018, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice set, it looks like a productive photographic trip Clackers.
09-22-2018, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! These are just wonderful!

09-22-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots. Love the stones shot.
09-22-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice shots, though at first I thought Billy Connolly was Geddy Lee. That's nothing to do with your photographic ability, more the muralist's painting ability, he left out Billy's curly hair.
09-22-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots! That’s a trip I’d like to take soon.

09-22-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice one mate, I'd like to be there too, maybe in the not so distant future.

It does look wet and cold though
09-22-2018, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent shots clackers!

We're actually heading over that way in a few weeks, thinking of a minimalist kit: K-50 with DA 40 XS and (soon to arrive) DA 21. I wonder if I'll want more?
09-22-2018, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice!
09-23-2018, 05:06 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Great shots. Love the stones shot.
Thanks, UV, it was the best I could do constantly wiping the front element but there was a lot of rain coming in. Will need to Clone out the drop in the centre when I get back home.

These stones on the island of Orkney are the same vintage as Stonehenge ... there are quite a few less famous Neolithic structures around Britain.

Older than the pyramids!

09-23-2018, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Really nice shots, though at first I thought Billy Connolly was Geddy Lee. That's nothing to do with your photographic ability, more the muralist's painting ability, he left out Billy's curly hair.
Rob, a friend said the same when I posted that one on Facebook.

The Big Yin would love to have Geddy's musical ability. He used to play banjo in a band with Gerry Rafferty, but will cheerfully admit he's not a great player.

09-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Nice one mate, I'd like to be there too, maybe in the not so distant future.

It does look wet and cold though
Yeah, BG, we've been head to toe in Goretex many times.

They say there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad choices of clothing, etc.

Of course the challenge for us togs can be the flat overcast light, I did the owl shot on a day where it just didn't stop raining outside.

You can certainly do a sensitive treatment of a scene where there's a grey haze between tog and subject, but a dozen of them might get tedious.

09-23-2018, 05:37 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Excellent shots clackers!

We're actually heading over that way in a few weeks, thinking of a minimalist kit: K-50 with DA 40 XS and (soon to arrive) DA 21. I wonder if I'll want more?

Yes, of course, Bertwert, great compact setup you can take anywhere!

My original plan was to do so much walking and cycling I could only carry the A7 and the two Limiteds. All manual focus and exposure for a month, but that hasn't worried me.

In practice, the weather's meant relatively short excursions from the car and I could so easily have carried the K-1, the two Limiteds (one for single subjects, the other where there's enough room to stage a foreground/background as well) and say my Irix 15mm (always stands out from friends' phone shots because of its width).

Last edited by clackers; 09-23-2018 at 06:00 AM.
09-23-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A shoutout to forum stalwart @Kerrowdown
Thank you for your fine kind words but... I'll have you know that I'm actually seven feet, one and half inches tall, that one half inches makes all the difference.

You should know that around here... it's the difference between being a short or medium height Highlander, the seven feet is an already given.

William Wallace (1270 - 1305) was an exceedingly short man at only six foot seven inches tall... he just looked taller when the average male height then was just over five feet.

Now his Claymore is another story, most seriously manly, it measured five feet four inches including the hilt, and was used both at the Battle of Stirling 1297 and the Battle of Falkirk 1298.