Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10-07-2018, 08:52 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Idaho Trip

From Scotland (pics here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/43-travel-events-groups/376267-scotland-...ml#post4470912) to Idaho on our four week trip abroad … pics a mixture of KS-2, Sony A7 with Pentax Limiteds, and a Canon G7x point and shoot.

Idaho is America's potato growing district, so naturally we rented a pickup and bought a mascot, Spud Buddy, to show us around.

We stayed for four nights at the lakeside town of Couer d'Alene (population 50,000).

A local IPA as we listened to a singer/guitarist at a lakeside pavilion at sunset.

The 24 km Route of the Hiawatha has ten tunnels and seven trestle bridges running from Montana back into Idaho. Awesome whichever direction you look! We were out of season, so no shuttles running, had to ride back up the b*d.

My wife and I absolutely loved it all.

Everything seems bigger in the States, including the frogs:

Fallen Firefighters Memorial in Seattle:

Space Needle, Seattle, now with revolving glass floor!

Last edited by clackers; 10-07-2018 at 08:59 PM.
10-08-2018, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neat shots Clackers.
10-08-2018, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice shots! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Washington and Idaho are two of the 7 states I haven't visited yet, but your pictures are giving me the urge to fill that gap sooner rather than later.
10-08-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

We are a bit north of there, lovely country where every valley is different.

10-08-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good shots to take home clackers!!

On your "next visit" be sure to check out Yellowstone and the Tetons (don't stay in Jackson unless you're independently wealthy). The north end of Idaho where you were is certainly the best for scenery, while the south end tends toward desert though Craters of the Moon park and Shoshone Falls are worth checking out.

You really need to get your picture with the big spud buddy that rolls around the US on the back of a flat-bed semi (very little personality - just a big potato). Not near as unique as yours though with little spud. Hope you can make it back this way again.

Interesting side story (don't mean to hijack your thread clackers but thought you'd appreciate this): I was at a convention on Prince Edward Island (way East in Canada), and the group was throwing a welcoming session with a multiple choice question test and quick responses like on "Jeopardy". One of the questions was what area is famous for growing potatoes? In the responses, Idaho was listed along with Prince Edward Island and a couple of other choices. Of course, I jumped up and said IDAHO!!!. Well, it turns out, Prince Edward Island ALSO prides itself on the potatoes THEY grow there. I had a few odd looks from the crowd and didn't get it until someone explained it to me (and they do have good potatoes).

Once again clackers - wonderful shots

Last edited by Bob 256; 10-08-2018 at 04:07 PM.
10-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Very nice shots! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. Washington and Idaho are two of the 7 states I haven't visited yet, but your pictures are giving me the urge to fill that gap sooner rather than later.
Yeah, you should do that, the Columbia River is huge, and I would have loved to have done a trip out to Mt Rainier (has twenty plus glaciers on it, bigger than Mt Fuji), but we flew out of Seattle the morning after we got there.
10-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Good shots to take home clackers!!

On your "next visit" be sure to check out Yellowstone and the Tetons (don't stay in Jackson unless you're independently wealthy). The north end of Idaho where you were is certainly the best for scenery, while the south end tends toward desert though Craters of the Moon park and Shoshone Falls are worth checking out.

You really need to get your picture with the big spud buddy that rolls around the US on the back of a flat-bed semi (very little personality - just a big potato). Not near as unique as yours though with little spud. Hope you can make it back this way again.

Interesting side story (don't mean to hijack your thread clackers but thought you'd appreciate this): I was at a convention on Prince Edward Island (way East in Canada), and the group was throwing a welcoming session with a multiple choice question test and quick responses like on "Jeopardy". One of the questions was what area is famous for growing potatoes? In the responses, Idaho was listed along with Prince Edward Island and a couple of other choices. Of course, I jumped up and said IDAHO!!!. Well, it turns out, Prince Edward Island ALSO prides itself on the potatoes THEY grow there. I had a few odd looks from the crowd and didn't get it until someone explained it to me (and they do have good potatoes).

Once again clackers - wonderful shots
All good tips, Bob. We started in Boise but it soon looked like we'd have to drive for a day to get to Jackson, do a tour, then another day to Couer d'Alene where we really wanted to go.

We'd do it properly in the future, and I'd see if you were available in whatever part of the state you're in for a lunch meetup or just buy you a drink or whatever.

10-10-2018, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
All good tips, Bob. We started in Boise but it soon looked like we'd have to drive for a day to get to Jackson, do a tour, then another day to Couer d'Alene where we really wanted to go.

We'd do it properly in the future, and I'd see if you were available in whatever part of the state you're in for a lunch meetup or just buy you a drink or whatever.
That's a date if you get back this way - PM me if you happen to long for Idaho Spuds in the future.
10-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
From Scotland to Idaho on our four week trip abroad …
The story behind your choice of destinations has to be fascinating. Care to share why you chose Scotland and Idaho (other than being the two furthest points on the globe from Melbourne)?
10-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The story behind your choice of destinations has to be fascinating. Care to share why you chose Scotland and Idaho (other than being the two furthest points on the globe from Melbourne)?
Yeah, the travel was brutal - pretty much around the world in four weeks, and it was three connecting flights home from Seattle over two days … a lot of time waiting in transit lounges without the use of a bed or shower.

My wife was using up a lot of her long service leave as a high school teacher of more than twenty years, and picked Scotland for the romance of it all (she's an Outlander fan) and Idaho for its cycling and hiking 'off the beaten track'.

If it was my pick, it would have been a little different - we've not been to the East Coast USA, for instance, and I might have gone for Central/Eastern Europe instead of the UK again, but the people we encountered and the experiences were great in any case. And happy wife equals happy life.