Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Yellowknife trip: tips and suggestions

Hi all;

I'm going to be traveling to Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada in late winter next year. Temperatures can go into the -20 to -30 degrees Celsius range during the time we'll be there. I'm guessing there'll be lots of landscape shooting as well as other activities like dog sledding, aurora viewing, attending Snowking's Winter Festival, and general walking around town having fun.

Here's what I'll probably be getting and taking gear wise:

-KP with Battery Grip D-BG7 and extra standard KP LI 09 batteries (I don't want to be running a second battery charger system, so I won't be getting LI90s for the grip)

-16-85 WR as my do-it-all outdoor lens (I don't want to change lenses outside and the 16-85 sounds like a better choice for me than the 18-135)

(The above camera/grip/lens combination is being purchased for this trip as a step up from my K-S2 which has just come back from repair for ACB failure. I tried the KP in the interim and was really impressed with its performance. I'll be getting the new gear with enough lead time to have lots of Southwestern Ontario wintertime practice behind me by the time of the trip.)

-A prime for indoor stuff (DA 35 f2.4 or M/A or F 50 f1.7 all of which I already have)

For any flash work I'll use the camera's built in one, or avoid flash altogether with higher ISO.

Any hints, tips for shooting this trip would be helpful and appreciated. So if you've got gear, technique or Yellowknife event or location suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited by Thagomizer; 11-03-2018 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added link
11-04-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Make sure your camera strap fits over your parka (my first one didn’t). Your lens choices sound perfect to me.
11-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks! We just got parkas yesterday.