Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Going to Japan!!! Photography advice?

Well we officially booked the trip for end of this upcoming January staying in the Tokyo area. My wallet is hurting but there's no going back now haha. Anyways going to bring my K-3, 18-55mm WR kit lens, FA50mm 1.4 and K 35mm f2. Any other focal lengths I might want to cover? Any suggestions on great places or things to photograph? Anyone know of any good second hand camera stores? I know Pentax has huge presence in Japan so I'm wondering if I may even stumble upon some good camera equipment deals? Share your experiences with me please! Thanks!

11-14-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #2

Hi stillshot2,

Don't miss Map Camera in Shinjyuku. They have a lot of good condition used cameras and lenses.
STORE GUIDE?Map Camera SHINJYUKU TOKYO

Yodobashi Camera in same area is also fun place to browse, but they carry used stuff though.
????.com - ??????

Ricoh Imaging Square Shinjyuku (Show room) is close to these stores.
RICOH Imaging Square SHINJYUKU | Community | RICOH IMAGING

Enjoy your stay in my home country!
11-14-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I used my Sigma 10-20mm lens about 70% of the time & the Pentax 50-200mm about 20% of the time. I also used the 35mm & the 50mm about 10% of the time. A lot of things are very crammed in the city. The wide angle helped a lot.

Get the JR pass & a pocket wifi to use Google maps. You can ride bullet trains, local trains, buses, & even ferries with the pass. It's worth the $251 USD or so.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 11-14-2018 at 01:06 PM.
11-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Wow, you are so lucky !
Look for the small camera shop, they have a lot of good second-hand lenses for quite a cheap price.
Enjoy your travel : )

11-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I used my Sigma 10-20mm lens about 70% of the time
A wide angle is a must IMO

I my recent trip to Japan I got to see a Titanium LX. I think it was very cool.
11-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 12-24 seems a natural fit.
11-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My son just came back from a three-week holiday in Japan, and loved it. He also succumbed to temptation and bought a 35mm/f2.8 Limited Macro while he was there!

11-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd go with the DA 15 SMC that's on my shelf, but some other ultra-wide would probably work, too. I could see dropping the K 35 f2 to help lighten the load and you've already got a good low light lens in that FA 50 1.4.
11-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

+1 on getting a JR Pass and a Pocket WIFI. Not all bullet trains, buses, local trains and ferries are accessible using a JR Pass though. If you are only staying in the Tokyo area,I think, there are three different passes to choose from. Not really sure on that, because when we went to Japan this year in early September, we opted for the national pass and it saved us $$ on the few times we used the bullet train to and from Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto and Anjo City.
The Tokyo train station is huge with tons of restaurants, shops and people (lots of people) to see, but there are only two camera shops in the station that are really small (maybe 40 x 15 feet) so your best bet would be to shop at the various camera stores elsewhere in Tokyo. Be sure to show your passport when you shop anywhere in Japan to get a tourist discounts (tax). Not all shops give discounts though.
A couple of things I noticed in Japan are, trash cans are few and far between and people riding escalators are always on the left side, unless one is in a hurry, they walk or run up/down on the right side. Just one of my observations over there.
You should look online to see if there are any festivals worth seeing in the time frame you will be in Tokyo.
Also, think about renting/buying an ultra wide starting at 8, 10 or 12 mm for those photos that 18mm won't be able to cover. And maybe something longer than your 50mm for those tighter shots during those festivals?
11-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yukon-bearspirit Quote
Enjoy your stay in my home country!
Thanks! And also thanks for the camera store links.

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
The wide angle helped a lot.
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
A wide angle is a must IMO
I am tempted to pick up a 15mm limited, but is 15mm really that much different than 18mm? And before anyone starts trashing my beloved kit lens I must have gotten lucky because it is actually quite a good sharp copy even on my pixel dense K-3! I do realize Japan is dense and the buildings are tall though so every mm probably helps, right?

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I could see dropping the K 35 f2 to help lighten the load
I've thought about doing this too, and then the freed up spot in my bag can hold my go pro. I'm thinking getting videos may be well worth it too.

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Be sure to show your passport when you shop anywhere in Japan
I did not realize this! Thanks for the advice!
11-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A manual 8mm could be an alternative. I have taken some fun shots both in Tokyo and NY with that lens
11-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I am tempted to pick up a 15mm limited, but is 15mm really that much different than 18mm? And before anyone starts trashing my beloved kit lens I must have gotten lucky because it is actually quite a good sharp copy even on my pixel dense K-3! I do realize Japan is dense and the buildings are tall though so every mm probably helps, right?
I think you'll be fine with the 18mm end of the kit lens. Tokyo can be pretty packed at times. I think I could have fit the massive Shibuya crossing in the 18mm end of my kit lens from the 2nd floor of the Starbucks, but it was more easier with the 10mm. It's kind of neat being able to jam everything into a photo with the wide angle & being able to pick out something super interesting with the telephoto. If you end up being in a rush, a wide angle & a telephoto will be all you need, if you're not afraid of pushing the ISO at times. I'll be taking a fisheye the next time I go.
11-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A manual 8mm
Which model do you suggest? I'm not a huge fan of the fish eye look, though.
11-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a rokinon, but I think it comes under different names. The Sigma10-20 (any of the two models) is another good option.
The user pakinjapan has very nice pictures of Tokyo. Maybe he has better insights.
11-14-2018, 09:07 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Sigma10-20 (any of the two models) is another good option.
Or the Sigma 8-16.