Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Check out my site, TokyoScape | TokyoScape Block - Reveal photography hotspots in Tokyo. for a few shooting locations in Tokyo (more than 100). I have walking map at the bottom of evey image page. And i mentioned about lense used to give people an idea of what to bring when go to each location.
Sorry for a shameless mentioned of my site

Second hand gears,
My best advice if you want to buy used lense or body is making sure you have time to go back if you have to. I got a used lens which looks very new from the outside, but it can't keep thing at infinity in focus so i have to return it. I couldn't test it's infinity focus in store because the store has no windows and it super small.
Ask if they can do tax refun, and you have to show passport to get the refund.
When i have time I will be back to post link to camera stores i know around tokyo.

Lens to bring,
Now i mostly go out with 10-17 and 55*. For me, 28 to 35mm on apsc seems to be too short, too long in tokyo most of the time.

If you want to meet up, ping me on my Instagram, tokyoscape

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-14-2018 at 09:26 PM.
11-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I spent two weeks in Japan last year and took my DA limiteds with me to use as my main lenses. Switching between primes got a little tiresome but I'm glad I did it as I enjoy using high quality primes and I got great results. The 35mm macro was my standard lens and was used most of the time, with the DA 21mm also getting a fair bit of use. I didn't buy any photographic gear there except a few odds and ends and some film which was either impossible or very expensive to get here (Natura 1600, Fuji industrila 400, Acros).

I'd say a WR lens is essential as the days that it rained when we were there, it rained the whole day, non-stop and without WR I'd have gotten virtually no photos those days.

I second the idea of getting the rail pass and seeing more of the country. With the high speed trains you can do day trips to places which are quite distant. Kamakura is close to Tokyo and very nice. Kyoto is a couple of hours away but but has some really beautiful spots, both in the city and close by in smaller towns.
11-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The IQ difference between the DA 15 and the 18-55 at 18 is probably pretty noticeable unless you can stop the 18-55 down to f8 or f11. The width of view difference between the two is pretty noticeable as well. The fun thing about a lens like the DA 15 in a city is shooting with the camera rotated so the vertical is the large dimension. It can make areas between buildings more interesting.

I'd try to find a way to bring it if I could.
11-15-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I am tempted to pick up a 15mm limited, but is 15mm really that much different than 18mm? And before anyone starts trashing my beloved kit lens I must have gotten lucky because it is actually quite a good sharp copy even on my pixel dense K-3! I do realize Japan is dense and the buildings are tall though so every mm probably helps, right?
Yes 15mm is a lot wider. Here's a way to visualize it:

The DA 15 is also far far more flare resistant than the 18-55. It's sharper wide open as well. The SMC version (and to a degree the HD version) also produces fantastic starbursts.

11-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Be sure to show your passport when you shop anywhere in Japan to get a tourist discounts (tax). Not all shops give discounts though.
Adding to the above, use VISA card because lots of shops / services give you extra discount and/or free gift.
Visit Japan With Visa - English | Visa

Enjoy!
11-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Check out my site
Very nice images! The architecture looks amazing and it's making me even more excited to go now!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
With the high speed trains you can do day trips to places which are quite distant.
Oh yeah I forgot they have some of the fastest trains in the world there. I'll have to see if my wife is interested in visiting neighboring areas. She mainly lived in Tokyo so that's what she is familiar with but I agree a day trip would be worth it. I'll look into the places you mentioned.

QuoteOriginally posted by yukon-bearspirit Quote
use VISA card because lots of shops / services give you extra discount and/or free gift
Awesome! Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'd try to find a way to bring it if I could
Great; not helping lens buying addiction though!
11-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RE: Lens buying addiction...

You can make anything work. But most people will tell you that a wider perspective is very helpful to have in a crowded city like Tokyo IF you want to capture that type of view. Nothing prevents you from focusing on narrower perspectives and making pictures that will be fantastic and fitting to your trip. If you don't feel like you have to get the wider shots and that the 18mm is fine - DO NOT get pushed into it. If you find a wide vista and MUST get the wider shot than you can with the 18mm - don't forget you can stitch. 4 portrait frames shot so that they line up and overlap for a wide landscape shot is a great way to grab a lot wider perspective with what you already have. You also can zoom in a bit to 24mm or more to get wide but with more detail.

11-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you don't feel like you have to get the wider shots and that the 18mm is fine - DO NOT get pushed into it.
I know, I know, but I've already been wanting that 15mm for some time now But yeah I agree I have stitched in the past as you mentioned, it's just a matter of dealing with the cons of stitching images vs the price of a used 15mm.
11-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I know, I know, but I've already been wanting that 15mm for some time now But yeah I agree I have stitched in the past as you mentioned, it's just a matter of dealing with the cons of stitching images vs the price of a used 15mm.
Don't forget that the DA 12-24 is another good option. Much wider but not as good on flare. It is also larger and bulkier.
11-17-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Here you go, Used camera shop on googl map as promise

Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps

Google Maps <-- this store has LEICA under their store name but they cary some pentax gear too. I brough a M50 f1.7 from there. smaller than the first 4 but better price.
Google Maps <-- this store is a small one too. same same, smaller and cheaper. I got FA50 macro from here. One of the best deal I ever have in tokyo. if you wonder where is the store, it is surrounded by green banners and signs
11-17-2018, 11:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Here you go, Used camera shop on googl map as promise
Thanks a million!
12-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I ended up buying a DA 15mm f4 for a good price and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I think it should be perfect for my trip! Now i'm just trying to decide the other two lenses I should bring, or maybe just the K 35mm f2 and call these two good? The 35mm f2 is hair popping sharp and can easily be cropped for further distant subjects since I will have my pixel dense K-3. The only reason I may leave behind my beloved FA50mm 1.4 is because I had a fast 50 (the DA 50mm 1.8) when I went to Europe and it never got mounted since I was shooting at or near 18mm quite a bit. And I'm also leaning towards bringing my 18-55 kit lens just in case it rains a lot. So hard to decide!
01-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi,
Map Camera in Shinjuku.
Ricoh Imaging Square in Shinjuku.
Fujiya Camera in Nakano.
Nakano isnt far from Shinjuku by train, but navigating around Shinjuku on your first time can be confusing.

What do you like to photograph?
01-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Nakano isnt far from Shinjuku by train, but navigating around Shinjuku on your first time can be confusing.
My wife lived there for a couple years, so I'm sure she can get us there. I like to photograph pretty much everything I see that peaks my interest when going to a foreign place haha. Buildings, art, street life, nature, etc.
01-15-2019, 05:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

That is definitely an advantage your wife is familiar with the place.
When I first went to Tokyo i got lost many times in shinjuku...part of the fun i guess.

Anyway, some places off the top of my head.

Shinjuku day and night. East and West is good, complete contrast of one another.
Go to the Metropolitan building to get a good view. Its free.

All of the major areas that can be found in a guide book are interesting.
Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ueno, Tokyo, Ginza, Akihabara, Harajuku, and so on.
Tokyo is especially interesting: the station is nice, theres the imperial palace and surrounding areas, and you can wander onto the different platforms to get a view of different trains.

Near Shimbashi station is the Nakagin capsule apartment block.
Hotel Gracery in Shinjuku for Godzilla.
Meiji Shrine.
Sensoji Temple.
A lot of tourist traps, but they are good.

When I first went to Tokyo I was fascinated by all of the bright lights, parks, old streets and buildings, run down eateries. So much really.
I found tje best times were when I got off at a station in Tokyo and just went for a wander. I understand you may not have the luxury of just wandering, so choose your places wisely.

It isnt the best season for parks, but Shinjuku Gyoen, Rikugien, Koishikawa Korakuen are quite spectacular any time of year.

If you have time to go to Greater Tokyo then Yokohama and Kamakura are nice places.