Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 10:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Costa Rica and jungle advice

Have a trip booked to the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica in early April next year.
The flight into that area is on a small plane with fairly strict baggage limits, so I'm trying to decide what gear to take.
Planning on my KP with grip, 20-40, 55-300PLM and 100macro. I have a 150-450, but it's obviously big and heavy. Is it worth it to take the big lens? Any other jungle photography tips or gear I should bring?

12-03-2018, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
I was there in March and used only 16-85mm. At the time I didn't have 55-300mm plm, but I wish I would have. It's a bit tricky to change lenses in the jungle and on guided tours. It's Also a good idea to travel light.
Have fun!
12-04-2018, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer a wide aperture for shots in dim light (which I presume you will have in Costa Rica). On APS-C I find a 135/2.8 useful. High ISO may compensate for wide aperture with newer cameras.
12-04-2018, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

WR is your friend in the jungle. Changing lenses isn't. I'd take the 18-135 and the 55-300. The 18-135 is very versatile and light while not costing much. The 100 macro is great but also needs to be WR.

12-04-2018, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

how would you support the " big guy " ?

I have used mine, from time to time, without tripod, monopod or other support, but let's face it, it gets heavy fast

if you don't have time or room for tripod set up or even a monopod or some other reliable " rest " I would suggest you forgo taking it

even though it is a very nice lens IMHO, YMMV

one other thought what will your " visibility " be?

will the terrain and/or jungle let you take long range telephoto
12-04-2018, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went there with a 16-50, 60-250 and a 100 macro. I was happy with the results.
12-04-2018, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I lived for 6 months on Osa Peninsula (Corcovado National Park). The lens you want depends on the type of images are really want to get.

Your wide angle, macro, and some sort of versatile zoom will handle most of the landscape, forest, and smaller critter pictures.

But if you seek decent pictures of scarlet macaws, howler monkeys, harpy eagles, etc., then the longer lens will be good to have because these creatures tend to stay in the canopy or above.

Have a great time, Osa is a stunningly beautiful place!

12-04-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all. Maybe I'll think about taking the DA teleconverter for those longer shots out of the canopy(where there will hopefully be more light). I'm also counting on the KP's good high-ISO performance to help. Was also possibly thinking about a trekking pole with a monopod attachment on top for a little more stability in some circumstances.

Photoptomist, since you spent a lot of time down there, we were thinking about doing the hike through Corcovado from Los Patos, to Sirena, and out to Carate, staying a night at Sirena. Is that worth it? Any other can't miss things? Thanks for the help, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
12-04-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Photoptomist, since you spent a lot of time down there, we were thinking about doing the hike through Corcovado from Los Patos, to Sirena, and out to Carate, staying a night at Sirena. Is that worth it? Any other can't miss things? Thanks for the help, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
Sirena to La Leona and Carate is very nice hike along the beach and forest. Sirena to San Pedrillo is also awesome but very long and strenuous with 3 widely-spaced river crossings that need to be timed with low tide.

I never did the Los Patos to Sirena trail which is supposed to be beautiful but can be very muddy.
12-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks all. Maybe I'll think about taking the DA teleconverter for those longer shots out of the canopy(where there will hopefully be more light). I'm also counting on the KP's good high-ISO performance to help. Was also possibly thinking about a trekking pole with a monopod attachment on top for a little more stability in some circumstances.

. . .
why not use a good monopod for a walking stick ?
12-04-2018, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Sirena to La Leona and Carate is very nice hike along the beach and forest. Sirena to San Pedrillo is also awesome but very long and strenuous with 3 widely-spaced river crossings that need to be timed with low tide.

I never did the Los Patos to Sirena trail which is supposed to be beautiful but can be very muddy.
I think the San Pedrillo trail is closed to tourists now. Not sure why...maybe someone got eaten by a shark or croc at one of those river crossings.

On the monopod front, I already have some high quality, very light trekking poles that I usually use for long hikes...so I thought maybe better that option than a monopod.
12-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think the San Pedrillo trail is closed to tourists now. Not sure why...maybe someone got eaten by a shark or croc at one of those river crossings.

On the monopod front, I already have some high quality, very light trekking poles that I usually use for long hikes...so I thought maybe better that option than a monopod.
I seem to recall some of the higher quality trek poles having a covered stud on the top that was meant for cameras. I agree that a monopod would be a great tool and a trek pole on jungle excursions, particularly at water crossings, is a big help.