Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looking for help: local info and ideas needed for Denver Colorado trip in June

my wife and I will be arriving in Denver in June 9 late morning and leaving late afternoon on June 12, 2019

I have been in Denver briefly once before but didn't have time to do anything much [business trip in late November ] this time we will be meeting a group and going to two night games ( Monday and Tuesday ) between the Cubs and the Rockies

[ yes, I will be attempting some photos of Coors Field and the game ]

so I expect to have some free time

suggestions, hints and other information welcome.

we will be flying in and staying at a downtown hotel within walking distance of the ball park ( the organizers claim ) but flights and hotel have been chosen already and cannot be changed

not planning on renting a car - so info on getting around Denver without one would be greatly appreciated

thank you

12-15-2018, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anywhere near the mall is walking distance with buses back and forth frequently. I liked the union station and the park past the bridge just to walk around. The art museum is close. The science museum is nice. A good zoo and arboratum. I think the art museum is on the light rail path. Pretty sure the rest take bus to bus transfering or taxi. There's some ideas for starters.
12-15-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Anywhere near the mall is walking distance with buses back and forth frequently. I liked the union station and the park past the bridge just to walk around. The art museum is close. The science museum is nice. A good zoo and arboratum. I think the art museum is on the light rail path. Pretty sure the rest take bus to bus transfering or taxi. There's some ideas for starters.
starters is good

thanks

where is this mall - is it the 16th Street Mall ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-15-2018 at 07:15 AM.
12-15-2018, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Just have to post these. The station at -20F February early morning and at Riverfront park across the millennium bridge at a stobist meet up back in 2007.

12-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Just have to post these. The station at -20F February early morning and at Riverfront park across the millennium bridge at a stobist meet up back in 2007.
. . .
very nice

and a nice and welcomed admission to this thread

nice to see what others have photographed [ although not sure I can match them ]

and personally I am hoping for warmer weather in June

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-15-2018 at 07:46 AM.
12-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

June is wonderful there. I used to bike around the city in June all the time literally, great bike paths.
12-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of all the places I've lived, Denver was Utopia! Within a 2-mile radius of Coors Field, here's what I'd recommend...

Denver Art Museum | - Just beyond the SE end of 16th St is Civic Park, where you'll find the DAM, Mint, library and gold-domed Capitol. It's also a really nice area to walk around. The park usually has craft festivals on the weekends.

Parks | Denver Parks and Recreation - City Park - the zoo and science museum is located on the grounds, and you can get some nice pics of the skyline and Rockies.
Igniting our community?s passion for nature and science : Denver Museum of Nature & Science - science museum
Welcome to Denver Zoo - zoo

York Street | Denver Botanic Gardens - Botanic Gardens

The 16th St Mall is really the place to hang out - restaurants, shops. At the west end (LODO) is the Millennium Bridge (three flights of stairs to get up and over). On the other side is a park at the confluence of the South Platte River and Cherry Creek. There's a kayak slalom course there you could get some pics. Also a night shot of the bridge and buildings could be nice, too. A free bus shuttle runs the length of 16th St. And, don't forget, you can take a bike or scooter to get around the area, too, especially if you want to get out to City Park or the botanic gardens.

I'd love to go, but I wouldn't want to leave...

12-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a train between the airport and Union Station so that is probably the most practical first step to getting to your hotel. Right now that trip is $9 per person but it'll probably go up to ten-something by June. That train goes right by the ball park so you can get an idea of the physical distance. From Union Station, you can get on other train lines, the free 16th Street Mall shuttle and various bus routes. My wife and I have walked from there to well past the ball park, 30th and Blake, so I think of the station as not being that far away.

Here's the web site for the public transit system:

RTD

They have a transit card called My Ride which I like. I load the card then don't pay any attention to what the system costs. It might be more practical to get regional day passes which are paper coupons.

Union Station itself is recently developed and you can spend a lot of time right there. I think of places based on the availability of lots of craft beer. Union Station has the Terminal Bar which qualifies. There are probably a dozen places around the ball park that are great for beer. If you continue up Blake you could easily find a dozen more. I have lots of beer recommendations.
12-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I used to love Wynkoops but I hear it's not so good anymore. I went back around 6 years ago and it seemed craft breweries were opening everywhere.
Of course there is still The Beat generation places.Denver's Beat Legacy | VISIT DENVER I liked El Chapultepec right by the field. Exploring Denver's El Chapultepec | HuffPost Life
12-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Visiting the Denver Mint on foot is sort of annoying. They won't let you carry anything, they don't have any lockers to store anything and tours are first-come, first-served, no reservations. It helps to have something else planned instead.
12-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks you very much

this is what I expected

fast and helpful input from fellow forum members

please keep adding to it.

we will be staying with a group [ Cubs Destinations ] which chose the hotel - the Magnolia Hotel 818 17th St, Denver, CO 80202

( we are lucky, we get room free because of reward points )

won't know where we are sitting in Coors Field until late May or so but we know both games are night games

so after we get there from the airport Sunday noonish or so, the hotel will be the base of operations until we depart for a 5 PMish flight on Wednesday.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Visiting the Denver Mint on foot is sort of annoying. They won't let you carry anything, they don't have any lockers to store anything and tours are first-come, first-served, no reservations. It helps to have something else planned instead.
so no cameras can be taken in and no safe spot to store them, correct ??

if so, sounds like a spot we will skip

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
Of all the places I've lived, Denver was Utopia! Within a 2-mile radius of Coors Field, here's what I'd recommend...

Denver Art Museum | - Just beyond the SE end of 16th St is Civic Park, where you'll find the DAM, Mint, library and gold-domed Capitol. It's also a really nice area to walk around. The park usually has craft festivals on the weekends.

Parks | Denver Parks and Recreation - City Park - the zoo and science museum is located on the grounds, and you can get some nice pics of the skyline and Rockies.
Igniting our community?s passion for nature and science : Denver Museum of Nature & Science - science museum
Welcome to Denver Zoo - zoo

York Street | Denver Botanic Gardens - Botanic Gardens

The 16th St Mall is really the place to hang out - restaurants, shops. At the west end (LODO) is the Millennium Bridge (three flights of stairs to get up and over). On the other side is a park at the confluence of the South Platte River and Cherry Creek. There's a kayak slalom course there you could get some pics. Also a night shot of the bridge and buildings could be nice, too. A free bus shuttle runs the length of 16th St. And, don't forget, you can take a bike or scooter to get around the area, too, especially if you want to get out to City Park or the botanic gardens.

I'd love to go, but I wouldn't want to leave...
I love a good zoo and met Dave Johnson, one of the keepers there, last week when he gave a talk at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center

so I will be trying to contact him. He works with the rhinos and elephants and has published some children books

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.
12-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We've eaten at Panzano's which is a block up from your hotel, and that was very good. Probably a couple of years ago now. The other Italian place we go to is Venice, very close to Union Station. I haven't been disappointed in any place that we've eaten in that area, even restaurants that we only chose to get out of the rain. Check out Oskar Blues for local craft beer.

There is a bus that gets you to the Zoo. I might look at Uber.

From your hotel to the ballpark, you could just walk 6 blocks up and 4 over, or walk one block back to 16th Street, catch the free shuttle up to Blake, then maybe 5 blocks over. I think the main ballpark entrance is at about 21st and Blake, just from memory of walking by.

I like to walk around that area with a single small prime lens, 21mm to 50mm, and wait for shots to fall into that focal length.

From the airport, it'll cost $10.50 per person to Union Station.
12-28-2018, 05:34 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
We've eaten at Panzano's which is a block up from your hotel, and that was very good. Probably a couple of years ago now. The other Italian place we go to is Venice, very close to Union Station . . .

There is a bus that gets you to the Zoo. I might look at Uber.

From your hotel to the ballpark, you could just walk 6 blocks up and 4 over, or walk one block back to 16th Street, catch the free shuttle up to Blake, then maybe 5 blocks over. I think the main ballpark entrance is at about 21st and Blake, just from memory of walking by.

I like to walk around that area with a single small prime lens, 21mm to 50mm, and wait for shots to fall into that focal length.

From the airport, it'll cost $10.50 per person to Union Station.
thanks for the local info, that is what I was hoping for

the cost of $10.50 per person from the air port is that by train or what ?

walk around kit:

sounds like a job for some of the primes I have acquired: the 21, 35 and 40 limiteds and/or 28mm Kiron or the best in its class 40 XS

what to choose, what to choose
05-13-2019, 04:24 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
time is getting short, our Denver trip is on June 9 returning June 12.

current plans include eating at the oldest steak house in Denver - The Buckhorn Exchange - Home Page Popup on Sunday night:

" Denver’s original steakhouse, The Buckhorn Exchange is located in the city’s oldest neighborhood, just 5-minutes from downtown Denver -- with a light-rail stop right across the street. This National Historic Landmark and Western Museum has been serving the finest in Old West fare since 1893. "

will have Sunday PM free

Monday, currently planning on a visit to the Denver Zoo

https://www.denverzoo.org/

until we leave for the game,

visiting the Denver Zoo, any one got an idea of how much time that would take up, 1 - 3 hours or more?

Tuesday we are busy with tour and a meet and greet with a Cubs player so we won't have time to do anything

may do something Weds, our plane leaves late afternoon

we will be reliant on public transport or walking while in Denver

sun rise will be around 5:30ish and sun set around 20:30ish ( 8:30 PM ) on the days we will be in Denver

according to this source - Sunrise and sunset calendar - Check month and any location

" You can see the sunrise and sunset calendar of any location of the world. If you don't see a location in our list of suggestions as you type in the location box, you can type the latitude and longitude instead. "

thanks for the hints and advice, any one else want to chime in ?

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-14-2019 at 02:44 AM.
06-15-2019, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
our trip to Denver was very nice

used the Magnolia Hotel's free valet service to reach spots close to the hotel, cab to and from airport and to the Phipps Imax Theater and the City Bus to go to and from the Denver Zoo

in addition to the ball games we did a walking food tour Sunday PM:

Food and Craft Beer Tours of Denver ? Delicious Denver Food Tours

the Buckhorn Exchange was largely a disappointment however

the Denver Zoo was great on Monday then the ball game, a close one

Welcome to Denver Zoo

Tuesday we were at Coors Field by 10:30 for a private tour, lunch and meet and greet with a Cubs Player, Kyle Ryan ( LHRP )

he agreed to take a packet of my photos of Heywood, Rizzo and Baez to the Cubs Club House in an attempt to obtain their autographs I included photos for them to keep and self addressed postage paid packets for them to send photos back to me.

I hope I get them back in the mail

then the ball game, not close at all

On Wednesday, we went to the Phipps Imax Theater where we watch the film on Apollo 11, highly recommended by us to you folks,

IMAX Theater : Denver Museum of Nature & Science

and we walked to the Denver Biscuit Company on Colfax

Denver Biscuit Company - Real Southern, Real Good

great food, great hard cider, great staff

did a lot more walking than I am used to ( 5 - 8 plus miles per day at altitude too )

thanks to everyone for all the hints.

photos are scattered throughout the forum

Last edited by aslyfox; 06-15-2019 at 08:00 AM.