Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I spent six months travelling with only a K-5 and an 18-135mm lens. My schedule, and my preferred travel mode means minimizing lens changes, I take the best picture I can with the equipment I have on hand. My priorities were a lens that adequately covered a broad focal range, weather and dust resistance, light weight and minimum space. My only prime lens was a DA 40mm XS, super light weight and compact with great I!. I seldom wished for another lens during my travels. This is generally the same combo I used for business trips as well, it fits in my carry on bag along with my laptop.

Enjoy your trip, I look forward to seeing your photos!

01-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great responses, everyone. Thank you. I should have known, but this topic is causing analysis-paralysis!

As pointed out, the K10D is capable of taking nice photos. I think my pressing concern is whether I can address the K10D focus issues and be confident travelling with that camera. I think it makes sense to cross-post to Troubleshooting and see what I can figure out.

Camera: K10D
Problem: Growing evidence of back-focus problems, initially discovered by a large number of photos in which the sharpest focus is just behind subject
Tests done (all using the largest aperture for the lens used):
+ sample shots with a known focus point, manual focus lens
+ tripod mounted shots taken of a row of AA batteries, as suggested here: Checking Your Camera for Front Focus or Back Focus. | Camera Light & Lens Forum – News
+ calibration patterns, as used here Sharp lens - PentaxForums.com

I concluded (or at least convinced myself) that I have back-focus issues. So, I upgraded to firmware v1.31 and entered Debug Mode. With some tests, I settled initially on a correction of +0.60um. I'm in the process of testing this. The results seem somewhat promising, but I may need to go further.

Two questions:
1. Am I better off sticking with the M50 f1.7 lens which allows me to most easily spot problems (with its shallow DOF at 1.7), or should I use my 16-45 f4?
2. Should I move to the vertical brick-wall test at this point?
01-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I'd opt for the K-5IIs (used) and a 16-85 (new or used). It's actually what I use for my base DA travel kit if I'm taking a weather sealed zoom kit. It's a good lens camera combo covering wide to tele. The K-5IIs is a major step up from the K10D and the 16-85 is a nearly flawless lens that doesn't really get a lot of attention because it's neither particularly fast nor particularly long or wide in coverage. It's not a sexy lens, but it's a really good lens.

I'd definitely bring a fast prime along as well. Something like an FA 35mm f/2 or FA 24mm f/2 (either of which would be part of my kit). A cheaper option is the DA 35 f2.4 or the FA 28mm f/2.8 often can be found used for a good price. I'm not really a fan of 50mm lenses as my fast prime on APS-C cameras. They are too tight to be my "normal" lens.

Take or leave the 135mm depending on how much you tend to use telephotos. I'd personally bring it.

01-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #19

I did an extended trip (2 months) around Europe last year, also using the K10D as my main camera. I took a few lenses with me but the ones that got the most use were the 16-45mm F4 (as a general walkabout lens) and a Sigma 10-20mm. With the kit you have then the area I'd be looking at is the wide end, so if money was to be spent I'd be doing it on something like the Sigma 10-20 rather than a new body.

After the two lenses I mentioned above the next most used lenses were a 70-300 zoom and a macro lens (one of the cheap Cosina 100mm F3.5's in my case). I did have a couple of fast primes with me but barely used them at all.

01-23-2019, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, I spent six months travelling with only a K-5 and an 18-135mm lens. My schedule, and my preferred travel mode means minimizing lens changes, I take the best picture I can with the equipment I have on hand. My priorities were a lens that adequately covered a broad focal range, weather and dust resistance, light weight and minimum space. My only prime lens was a DA 40mm XS, super light weight and compact with great I!. I seldom wished for another lens during my travels. This is generally the same combo I used for business trips as well, it fits in my carry on bag along with my laptop.

Enjoy your trip, I look forward to seeing your photos!
This sounds like a dream.
01-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
After reading this thread Worth upgrading from K200D? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
and this one http://https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/203-pentax-kp/378223-pentax-kp-ex...ml#post4500330
I'm really beginning to feel that I'm doing myself a disservice NOT upgrading from the K10D.

The clarity of the images taken by the KP is simply not something I've ever seen with my K10D. I had thought the 10MP sensor was really only limiting how large I could print an image, but there is clearly more to it than that. The sharpness in John Rudolph's drummer image, especially in low light, is amazing and Dan Morgan's football shot nearly resolves the individual rain drops. Amazing work, of which much credit has to be given to the photographers themselves, but the cameras are obviously excellent.

I'm about to visit some places I may never see again, and my kids will only be this age once...
02-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #22
Pentaxian

FWIW, I upgraded from my trusty K10D to a KP last year because of a 10 day trip to Italy that included Florence, Rome and Almafi. I was pleased with the results, especially the low light performance since many venues were historic buildings. Most of my shots, ~60%, were taken with my DA* 16-50, ~30% with a Sigma 10-20 and the rest 10% with a DA 55-300 PLM.
02-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
So, I bought the K-70! It's capability in low-light amazes me. So much so that I'm not sure I need to bring a fast prime. I was strongly considering the DA 35 f2.4, currently on sale for $97US at BH, but it seems like the full-range f4 of my 16-45 might be sufficient. If I bring an additional lens, the space and weight might be better used for my M135, or DA 55-300. ...or even my M50 f1.7

Will I really benefit from the AF and creative options of the shallower DOF that the 35mm f2.4 offers?

02-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to lay out an opinion that I think some will share and some will disagree with. You do what you want with the following;

The DA 35 f2.4 is light, small, fast-ish, but the DoF at 2.4 is still kind of non-shallow on a crop body. It's sharp wide open but I find that it's a "documenting" lens and not an "artistic" lens. The images out of it are often accurate to the point of being boring.

I would go for either an FA 35 f2 or a DA 35 f2.8 Macro Ltd. if you like that focal length on crop. I don't, really, and prefer either a 28 or a 50mm prime on crop. The DA 50 1.8 is really nice for the price and where I would recommend spending similar money if that interests you. A used copy of either the Pentax F or FA 28's would also be worth considering for maybe $150 to $200 USD.
02-22-2019, 04:16 PM   #25
Pentaxian

TBH, "we've been here before" because the same sort of question has been asked many times on the forum (@the OP - do take a look around for similar threads!) and there have been many and varied opinions (including mine) on what to take.

Briefly, I've had a lot more "sucess" with small, light, modern Pentax bodies (K-30 and now K-70) than I had with the GX-10/K-10D and K-5 (but never taken a K-3 - too heavy) and very wide angle (10-20mm Sigma is my main "travelling" lens) lenses and widish-to-medium tele zooms (was the 18-135, but now a 17-70 Sigma) than with a prime 35 or 50 (where would I have used that? Can't think of more than a very few occasions) and hardly ever used anything longer (in Europe, at least).

Most interesting places in Europe are very "crowded"/"confined" and what you are looking at is often very close to you - thus very wide-angle lenses are the most useful (by far IMHO).
02-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always recommend the 12-24. I spent 8 days in New York City with the 10-17, 12-24 and 17-70. Only wanted something longer about once.
10-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update - post trip

I thought I'd update this thread with some post-trip comments:

In the end, I took the K-70 with the DA 16-45 f4, the M 135 f3.5, and I bought a DA 50 f1.8. The 55-300 stayed home as it's bigger and heavier than the other lenses - recall that I traveled with carry-on bag only.

As predicted by most, the 16-45 almost never left the body. I found that it was wide-enough most of the time. I'm sure there were places where it could have been wider, but I just reframed the shot to make it work. The 135 was fun a few times, but it's fairly limiting - I would tend to put it on the camera for only a few shots. In addition, I'm still not that successful at focusing it without a split-image screen, so I wasn't that eager to reach for it. It was, however, small enough to tuck into my bag without any trouble, so no harm done. The new 50 was a great purchase. Compact and light, I could keep it in my jacket pocket, or the day pack, and grab it as needed. It was helpful in low-light and I also spent one of our days in Paris with only that lens. It made for an interesting challenge using only the single focal length; I really enjoyed that.

One of the photography highlights of the trip was walking around the Quartieri Spagnoli in Napoli at 7AM with my 10-year-old son. We were up early due to jet lag and decided to go out in search of breakfast and coffee (latte caldo for junior). Being in a largely residential and small business area, we were treated to the morning activities of the city. People on mopeds heading for work and shopkeepers putting out their products to get the day started: fruit and vegetables, seafood, baked-goods all being arranged for display and purchase. The shapes, colours, sounds and smells were fabulous. I loved it. My son did too, but it was quite an eye-opener for him having only experienced suburban Western Canada to that point.

It was a great trip. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the camera was great. If I went again tomorrow with the same luggage configuration, I'd be happy to take almost the same kit... but I'd probably leave the 135 behind.