Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Camping in luxury

The last campsite I went to was in the Lake District (Cumbria, England) and they had large, double-insulated yurts with woodburning stoves and beds. Some yurts are also fitted with electricity and a separate room for the toilet, complete with an upright shower.

Not for me though - the last time I checked up prices, it was actually cheaper to stay in an hotel half a mile away!
Our "Prospector tent" does have a wood stove in it for cold weather. And we have beautiful place we can set it up and camp for free. It's too much work. We have to get all that stuff over to the campsite (water access only) spend a few days setting it up and at the end at least day to take it down. So, already the cost is three days work. If you use it for a weekend it doesn't make sense.

We've had that tent for 7 years now and never used it, and it wasn't cheap.

I did use the one I owned before this one for a couple year's winter camping.

Maybe this year.

We used to advertise to see if people would want to rent it. But the set up an knock down time means unless people want to come for week it's not worth our while. For the people who did stay there though, you get to be on an isolated lake with no cottages or buildings, hear the wolves howl at night, possibly see bear and deer along the shorelines, and enjoy almost total privacy with the exception of few fisherman who might come by once or twice during the week. You are guaranteed to see loons and seagulls, and may see warblers woodpeckers and several species of sparrows and nuthatches. All in all it sounds wonderful. But we've had a few takers. Most who want that kind of experience just rent a cottage.

Last edited by normhead; 02-28-2019 at 08:39 AM.
02-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Our "Prospector tent" does have a wood stove in it for cold weather. And we have beautiful place we can set it up and camp for free. It's too much work. We have to get all that stuff over to the campsite (water access only) spend a few days setting it up and at the end at least day to take it down. So, already the cost is three days work. If you use it for a weekend it doesn't make sense.

Maybe this year.

We used to advertise to see if people would want to rent it. But the set up an knock down time means unless people want to come for week it's not worth our while. For the people who did stay there though, you get to be on an isolated lake with no cottages or buildings, hear the wolves howl at night, possibly see bear and deer along the shorelines, and enjoy almost total privacy with the exception of few fisherman who might come by once or twice during the week. You are guaranteed to see loons and seagulls, and may see warblers woodpeckers and several species of sparrows and nuthatches. All in all it sounds wonderful. But we've had a few takers. Most who want that kind of experience just rent a cottage.
Best not mention the mosquitoes and black flies in the ad.
02-28-2019, 08:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Maybe this year.

A-ha! Good point! I had forgotten about wall-tents for large groups of people or long-term stays, with or without stoves!

I should have said "glamping is camping that is glamorous".

When I go camping, it's rough, muddy, damp, and a little bit of a challenge. It's also probably a bit smelly without easy access to a shower! On the other hand, glamping, in the words of wikipedia:
QuoteQuote:
describes a style of camping with amenities and, in some cases, resort-style services not usually associated with "traditional" camping. Glamping has become particularly popular with 21st-century tourists seeking the luxuries of hotel accommodation alongside the escapism and adventure recreation of camping
En.wikipedia.org. (2019). Glamping. [online] Available at: Glamping - Wikipedia [Accessed 28 Feb. 2019].

Why yes, I did provide citation... I'm cool that way...

According to the wiki page, glamping is a 500-year old tradition dating back to Ottoman generals with entourages of artisans who would set up tents for the royals while on campaign, and later, it was the preferred accommodation for aristocrats going out on safari.

This does of course raise the question... are army staging camps with their walled tents and electricity and running water and beds considered "glamping"? If so, in less than 500 words, discuss the ramifications of troop morale and the effect this has on combat efficiency. Finally, discuss how a member of the armed forces reacts when you ask them this question. [10 marks]

---------- Post added 02-28-19 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Best not mention the mosquitoes and black flies in the ad.
Why not come to Scotland and import some of our Midges for a bit of variety? We have plenty to go around!
02-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #34
Pentaxian

A-ha! Good point! I had forgotten about wall-tents for large groups of people or long-term stays, with or without stoves!

I should have said "glamping is camping that is glamorous".

When I go camping, it's rough, muddy, damp, and a little bit of a challenge. It's also probably a bit smelly without easy access to a shower! On the other hand, glamping, in the words of wikipedia:
En.wikipedia.org. (2019). Glamping. [online] Available at: Glamping - Wikipedia [Accessed 28 Feb. 2019].

Why yes, I did provide citation... I'm cool that way...

According to the wiki page, glamping is a 500-year old tradition dating back to Ottoman generals with entourages of artisans who would set up tents for the royals while on campaign, and later, it was the preferred accommodation for aristocrats going out on safari.

This does of course raise the question... are army staging camps with their walled tents and electricity and running water and beds considered "glamping"? If so, in less than 500 words, discuss the ramifications of troop morale and the effect this has on combat efficiency. Finally, discuss how a member of the armed forces reacts when you ask them this question. [10 marks]

---------- Post added 02-28-19 at 09:00 AM ----------

Why not come to Scotland and import some of our Midges for a bit of variety? We have plenty to go around!
One of the reasons for the new tent compared to the old which was good for winter camping was the new one has bug screens, and we also provide a picnic table under a bug tent, for cooking and eating. You can get away from the bugs by going for a paddle in a canoe. So yes they are an issue but not as bad as you might think. The "don't go out" part of the bug season is over by the end of June. Jalu and August are for the most part pretty good.

Real glamping would also provide chef and prepared meals etc. that would be really expensive. We could do it but the $250 a day per person we'd have to charge for double occupancy might be little steep for some. We like to keep our wages over minimum wage.

03-01-2019, 02:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One of the reasons for the new tent compared to the old which was good for winter camping was the new one has bug screens, and we also provide a picnic table under a bug tent, for cooking and eating. You can get away from the bugs by going for a paddle in a canoe. So yes they are an issue but not as bad as you might think. The "don't go out" part of the bug season is over by the end of June. Jalu and August are for the most part pretty good.

Real glamping would also provide chef and prepared meals etc. that would be really expensive. We could do it but the $250 a day per person we'd have to charge for double occupancy might be little steep for some. We like to keep our wages over minimum wage.
It's a pity you can't leave it set up on a semi-permanent basis and just go out periodically for some housekeeping duties (give the floor a brushing, dust the surfaces, check for leaks, etc). I've seen some folks round here with old farmsteads or even a big garden with a view setting up some yurts or walled tents on their property to try and get a bit of extra income - but they don't have your problem of having to erect the tent every time somebody wants to use it; which is probably where your hitting your snag =/

So is that in Algonquin Provincial Park you're set up? If so, wanna hear something kinda scary? Scotland is only ~10x bigger than Algonquin Park xD I had a gander at some pictures of that park as well - oooh! Gorgeous! I could easily lose myself there... Both poetically and possibly even literally
03-01-2019, 05:08 AM   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Occasionally we do that. A big stationary tent with a proper bed , table and chairs in it that and coolers full of ice for refrigeration, so you can chill your white wine to the right temperature before serving, as opposed to drinking it warm on more rigorous tips.
Camping in luxury

The last campsite I went to was in the Lake District (Cumbria, England) and they had large, double-insulated yurts with woodburning stoves and beds. Some yurts are also fitted with electricity and a separate room for the toilet, complete with an upright shower.

Not for me though - the last time I checked up prices, it was actually cheaper to stay in an hotel half a mile away!
sounds somewhat similar to many of the " tenting " safari experiences that are offered

not exactly back packing

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-01-2019 at 05:20 AM.
03-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #37
Closed Account

Pack the midge repellent!!

03-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #38
Pentaxian

So is that in Algonquin Provincial Park you're set up? If so, wanna hear something kinda scary? Scotland is only ~10x bigger than Algonquin Park xD I had a gander at some pictures of that park as well - oooh! Gorgeous! I could easily lose myself there... Both poetically and possibly even literally
Here in Canada where most of the country is not in private ownership we have "Crown Land". Land which is owned by the government and available to all Canadians. We can camp anywhere on crown land but it must be temporary (no permanent structures) and must be moved at least 3 feet every 21 days. So our tent site is on crown land. Crown land use is available to non-canadians only with a crown land permit, which if memory serves me well is worth about $20 a person. Our spot is so close to Algonquin it's like an Algonquin campsite without the park fees. The government once imposed a land freeze while they decided if the land we live on would be included in the park so how close? Really close.

However, if someone goes out in the spring and gets to our site before we do, it's theirs if they wish to stay although most just stay for a weekend or so. We've had picnic tables and tarps with our gear out there for 10 years now. Other campers usually don't even touch our stuff. They just use the campsite for a few days if one of our tents isn't set up. If our tent is set up, no one has ever bothered it. We've done set ups for people we know, and they stayed as long as a week.

QuoteQuote:
Pack the midge repellent!!
Hate the stuff. The trick in our neck of the woods is to find a nice open site with a west facing exposure that has a breeze. I use bug spray maybe on average, once or twice year. IN our 10 years here we've used maybe 5 bottles of the stuff.
03-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in Canada where most of the country is not in private ownership we have "Crown Land". Land which is owned by the government and available to all Canadians. We can camp anywhere on crown land but it must be temporary (no permanent structures) and must be moved at least 3 feet every 21 days. So our tent site is on crown land. Crown land use is available to non-canadians only with a crown land permit, which if memory serves me well is worth about $20 a person. Our spot is so close to Algonquin it's like an Algonquin campsite without the park fees. The government once imposed a land freeze while they decided if the land we live on would be included in the park so how close? Really close.

However, if someone goes out in the spring and gets to our site before we do, it's theirs if they wish to stay although most just stay for a weekend or so. We've had picnic tables and tarps with our gear out there for 10 years now. Other campers usually don't even touch our stuff. They just use the campsite for a few days if one of our tents isn't set up. If our tent is set up, no one has ever bothered it. . . .
it is nice to have that opportunity, good for them I remember years ago going with my family on a trip around Lake Superior from west to the east. I asked my dad about leaving stuff in the campsite and he said not to worry campers were good people and looked after stuff.
03-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've seen it [plasti-dip] used on pick and pluck gun cases. YouTube has a bunch of videos on it.
So - plasti-dip is kinda expensive in the UK :S £20.25 (USD$26.75, Can$35.57) for 2x 400ml cans - and that was one of the cheapest options I found (unless spending £300 on a bulk-buy of 40-50 cans...)

Sheesh - guess I'm not buying myself any treats this week

Fingers crossed that one can will be enough, that way I can use the rest for ham radio sealing...

Wait... this is totally just liquid electrical tape isn't it? Urgh... oh well. Might as well get my case sorted properly - even if I'm loathe to spend that much on sprays
03-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
. . . Nice case, but I'd assumed Wildcamping meant backpacking to remote areas. Curious how it's different from camping, which in the US involves driving to areas and setting up a tent or camper. Backpacking is basically carrying everything you're going to need on your back and off you go.
there are some folks that do " true back packing " here in the US

however, most of us like our creature comforts too much to do that

and it does require fitness and knowledge to do it correctly

regardless of what type of camping you choose to do, please do all of us a favor:

leave only foot prints [ yes, haul out your trash and give the dumpsters a break ],

take nothing but photos

leave the area cleaner than you found it.
03-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . even if I'm loathe to spend that much on sprays
not endorsing this product but I wonder if the OP has seen this:

Flex Seal® Clear Spray Official Commercial | Flex Seal®

03-04-2019, 12:56 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not endorsing this product but I wonder if the OP has seen this:

Flex Seal® Clear Spray Official Commercial | Flex Seal®

Flex Seal® Clear Spray Official Commercial | Flex Seal® - YouTube

Not really available in the UK from what I can see - though, I did see it on ebay for "£14.88 + £13.34 additional costs" - Noice! Wait... why would you price your product at £14.88? Weird. That was for a 200ml bottle too!

'Merica gets all the cool rubbery products apparantly

Actually, I wonder if liquid rubber roof sealants would work... Oh well, too late now!
03-04-2019, 01:06 AM   #44

In Scotland it's nice that wild camping is possible pretty much anywhere - the law is different in England and there are more restrictions there. I occasionally wander up into the hills above my house (The Pentlands) and camp up on the hillltops there:

That was quite a nice little tent however I've moved onto a lighter one now - a Terra Nova Laser.
03-04-2019, 01:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
there are some folks that do " true back packing " here in the US

however, most of us like our creature comforts too much to do that

and it does require fitness and knowledge to do it correctly

regardless of what type of camping you choose to do, please do all of us a favor:

leave only foot prints [ yes, haul out your trash and give the dumpsters a break ],

take nothing but photos

leave the area cleaner than you found it.
Ah, yes, the golden rule of camping! "Leave no trace" was what I was always taught (thanks, Dad! ) - I can't reiterate it enough!

One of the sadder stories in recent Scottish History was a ban on (wild)camping at Loch Lomond ostensibly* due to the damage caused by folks fleeing the city at the weekends and leaving campfires and beer cans everywhere.

*I say ostensibly, as there was definitely some meddling by a local Lady (as in the head of an armigerous household with land holdings) - but that is definitely not to belittle the damage caused by hordes of irresponsible campers!