Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 01:27 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
One of the sadder stories in recent Scottish History was a ban on (wild)camping at Loch Lomond ostensibly* due to the damage caused by folks fleeing the city at the weekends and leaving campfires and beer cans everywhere.
There are a few places in Scotland that are easy to camp near a car that are similarily problematic - Glen Etive being one, and another being near the A93 leading into Braemar.

The wild camping legislation in Scotland actually excludes "car camping" but I don't think many people realise that.

03-04-2019, 01:46 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
In Scotland it's nice that wild camping is possible pretty much anywhere - the law is different in England and there are more restrictions there. I occasionally wander up into the hills above my house (The Pentlands) and camp up on the hillltops there:

That was quite a nice little tent however I've moved onto a lighter one now - a Terra Nova Laser.
I nearly bought a Laser a few years back - ended up going for the Terra Nova Zephyros 2 (as in a 2-man tent) instead as it was cheaper.

I genuinely love the Scottish right to roam (and right of way)!

---------- Post added 03-04-19 at 01:47 AM ----------

There are a few places in Scotland that are easy to camp near a car that are similarily problematic - Glen Etive being one, and another being near the A93 leading into Braemar.

The wild camping legislation in Scotland actually excludes "car camping" but I don't think many people realise that.
I did not realise that actually! Aye, when I used to do whitewater kayaking, it was common to see campers near the Etive - I didn't realise it was a problematic area though!
03-04-2019, 01:54 AM   #48

I nearly bought a Laser a few years back - ended up going for the Terra Nova Zephyros 2 (as in a 2-man tent) instead as it was cheaper.
I went through a tent buying phase a few years back which means I have loads of tents up the loft, most of them lightweight ones. As well as the Laser Competition (bought cheap in an end-of-season sale) and that Vango in the photograph (and for some reasons I've got 2 of the single man version of that as well as a 2-man), I've also got another lightweight Terra Nova (can't remember what one though!), a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 (bought on a US trip) and a very light 2-man plus another very light 2-man also bought on a US trip.

I really should get rid of most of them as I'm only really like to use the Laser Compeition if it's just myself, or the 2-person US one that I've forgotten the name of when I'm with my wife.
03-04-2019, 03:09 AM   #49
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, yes, the golden rule of camping! "Leave no trace" was what I was always taught (thanks, Dad! ) - I can't reiterate it enough!

One of the sadder stories in recent Scottish History was a ban on (wild)camping at Loch Lomond ostensibly* due to the damage caused by folks fleeing the city at the weekends and leaving campfires and beer cans everywhere.. . . armigerous . . .
cprobertson1

thanks for the vocabulary lesson " armigerous " Is a new word for me

and I hope you didn't think I thought you were not a thoughtful camper,

my comment regarding how a camper should to leave the area when going home was meant to apply to all

03-04-2019, 03:17 AM   #50
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I went through a tent buying phase a few years back which means I have loads of tents
I have tents ranging from a Revolutionary War period replica, to a 12 ' x 12 ' ( 6 ' high at the wall, 10 ' at the peak ) dome and two backpacking tents, a double and single.

none used for years however

our camping days are behind us.
03-04-2019, 03:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
cprobertson1

thanks for the vocabulary lesson " armigerous " Is a new word for me

and I hope you didn't think I thought you were not a thoughtful camper,

my comment regarding how a camper should to leave the area when going home was meant to apply to all
No worries - way ahead of you! The golden rule of camping/hiking/enjoying the wild can never be repeated enough times after all!

---------- Post added 03-04-19 at 03:41 AM ----------

I have tents ranging from a Revolutionary War period replica, to a 12 ' x 12 ' ( 6 ' high at the wall, 10 ' at the peak ) dome and two backpacking tents, a double and single.

none used for years however

our camping days are behind us.
Auch, that's a pity! That's also a lot of tents - could probably fetch a pretty penny for them if they're still in good condition.

Okay, now you've got me curious about that Revolutionary War period tent! I bet there's a story behind that!
03-04-2019, 03:55 AM   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Okay, now you've got me curious about that Revolutionary War period tent! I bet there's a story behind that!
I like history

in the early 90s I spent some time with folks who shot black powder muskets and rifles. I joined their Revolutionary War re enactment group which was part of the Northwest Territory Alliance:

- NWTA

I carried a replica " Brown Bess " musket and other equipment ( loaned ) bought the required clothing and a period correct tent

different groups portrayed British, Loyalists, Colonial and militia forces ( I was in a militia force - VI Virginia ) all based on authentic historical units. there was very detailed requirements and I left because we got married and I would have had to be clean shaven.

in fact when my son was baptized in a historical correct garment, several folks asked us how long the " heirloom " had been in the family, I said about 30 days since it had been made for the purpose by friends who made period correct garments

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-04-2019 at 04:02 AM.
03-04-2019, 06:00 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like history

in the early 90s I spent some time with folks who shot black powder muskets and rifles. I joined their Revolutionary War re enactment group which was part of the Northwest Territory Alliance:

- NWTA

I carried a replica " Brown Bess " musket and other equipment ( loaned ) bought the required clothing and a period correct tent

different groups portrayed British, Loyalists, Colonial and militia forces ( I was in a militia force - VI Virginia ) all based on authentic historical units. there was very detailed requirements and I left because we got married and I would have had to be clean shaven.

in fact when my son was baptized in a historical correct garment, several folks asked us how long the " heirloom " had been in the family, I said about 30 days since it had been made for the purpose by friends who made period correct garments
Noice! - I've actually just realised that I don't know a lot of US history - I'm going to need to read up on it!

Most of the history I know is from WWII and seems to correspond with military campaigns and a touch of politics here and there. I think it just stems from WWII having a bigger impact on Europe as our land still bears the scars of those great conflicts, from the trenches and tunnels at the Somme to the craters surrounding Ipres, a town shelled so heavily that the only structure that wasn't leveled was a stone church - which only fared so well because it was made of thick stone that resisted the shock and fragmentation better than the plaster and brick and wood houses surrounding it. America, has fewer of these reminders on it's doorstep - it's just not in your collective memory as sharply as it is here.

Geography has a great deal to answer for in that regard!

Conversely, Britain doesn't like to talk about the American War of Independence (you hurt our pride! Actually, Scotland tends to distance itself from the English on this one... So there is an extra layer of politics in the way as well!) and the Civil War didn't leave us with the craters and battlefields nor the death toll that the World Wars did - it's just more palpable to you guys than it is to us. The American Wars just seem like something that happened far way. We don't have as much to learn from those conflicts (American War of Independence notwithstanding) as we can learn from WWII. Seriously, most people here can't name a serious battlefield in the US, and if pressed, some might vaguely remember "The Battle of Gettysburg" but not really have any context for it.

There's also a lot more of the US to learn history for - you and your mini-countries/states, each with it's own history textbook!

Actually, one of my life-goals is to visit every state. Even the weird ones. In fact... Especially the weird ones.

Right... time to grab some US history textbooks on the secondhand market

Right! Back to the original topic :P

I want to take some filters with me - will it be sufficient to just shove them in a couple of foodbags to keep the moisture off them do you think? (I'm thinking of UV, CPL, and ND1,ND2,ND4,ND1000) - think that's a reasonable selection? (I want to do some longer-exposure landscape shots and I love photographing running water!)

Actually, I wonder if I can make space in my dry-case....
03-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #54
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Noice! - I've actually just realised that I don't know a lot of US history - I'm going to need to read up on it! . . .
I want to take some filters with me - will it be sufficient to just shove them in a couple of foodbags to keep the moisture off them do you think? (I'm thinking of UV, CPL, and ND1,ND2,ND4,ND1000) - think that's a reasonable selection? (I want to do some longer-exposure landscape shots and I love photographing running water!)

Actually, I wonder if I can make space in my dry-case....
some scholars estimate that it was 1/3 for revolution, 1/3 for staying English colonies and 1/3 neutral

my tent is similar to this but no sod cloth or awning

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/TentKit.aspx/1136/1/TENT-B-09-11-W

_________

don't spend the money on books until you know what you want

libraries may be a source or the internet of course

there are some good authors who write historical fiction similar to Bernard Cornwall

Bernard Cornwell

http://www.lostbooks.org/historical-fiction/bernard-cornwell/

entertaining and educational to a degree as well

consider filter cap stacks to use for your filters.

amazon.com: filter stack cap - New?tag=pentaxforums-20&

hopefully you can find some locally

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-04-2019 at 07:09 AM.
03-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been on some camping trips including a few early Spring washouts.
What a miserable experience! Photography was the last thing on my mind.
Never again I vowed; I wait for drier weather for any such activities now.

You didn't mention whether you will be dropped off at a base camp
or packing everything in and trekking about with your entire kit etc.
If it's the latter suggest you bring the bare minimum of photo gear
and not everything you own, much of which you probably won't use.

Chris
03-04-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've been on some camping trips including a few early Spring washouts.
What a miserable experience! Photography was the last thing on my mind.
Never again I vowed; I wait for drier weather for any such activities now.

You didn't mention whether you will be dropped off at a base camp
or packing everything in and trekking about with your entire kit etc.
If it's the latter suggest you bring the bare minimum of photo gear
and not everything you own, much of which you probably won't use.

Chris
Ah, I do love a good washout! Nothing quite like wearing a tarp because even your fancy riancoat won't stand up to the downpour!

Speaking of which - it was sunny today. Then the hailstones came on... and it rained for a bunch. Now it's a clear sky again (though cold!)

So, I think I'll be getting the bus to the Kingshouse Hotel in Rannoch Moor, and then it's a 19km (11.8mi) hike along the Rannoch Moor Track to where I'll set up the base camp by Loch Laidon (near the town village hamlet of Rannoch).

Camera wise, I'll take two lenses (one on the camera) and a teleconverter for those long-distance shots across the Loch. I'm debating whether to take my lightweight tripod or to borrow my Dad's gorrila...pod...thing... You know, the flexible tripiod-thing that could easily have been designed by H.R. Giger? I'm worried I might not get as much use out the smaller grolliapod since I'll need to get close to the ground to use it - but do the weight and space savings make it worth it? Decisions, decisions!

The simple answer is to borrow it beforehand and try them both out closer to home!

I have to say, I'm getting excited about my trip (even though it won't be until July or August, I love planning and working out kit lists! I know that in practice I can actually just bung my kit in a bag and go, but the planning stage is part of the whole experience for me - even if it's superfluous in the scheme of things!)

Last edited by cprobertson1; 03-12-2019 at 02:50 AM.
12-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I like the Fujiilm Finepix XP-140, myself.
Looks like Adorama has it on sale for $109 - beware rohone.com (a scam site) is advertising it for $69 but stay away from them!
01-16-2020, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whoops! I'm like 6-months late reporting back on this one!

I got eaten alive by midges and retreated to the higher slopes to the North, where I met some sheep. I named them Bob, Jim, and Jimbob. Then it rained for three days and three nights, and on the fourth day, it cleared up for 30 minutes and then rained again - weather report were for yet more rain, I so just got the train home.

I took a few shots but didn't go exploring as much as I'd like - and the shots that I took weren't great

Oh well, there's always 2020! I no longer have a partner (sad times), but on the other hand that means I can go on weekend trips more often!

Incidentally, despite being drenched, that hardcase done the business and kept my gear dry - it'll hopefully see more use in future trips too - which will hopefully bear better photographs than the ones I took on that trip!