Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
if you want to experiment

Moisture Absorption
Placing one or two stale crackers in containers of flour, sugar or salt reduces moisture buildup and caking. The crackers absorb excess moisture or humidity and protect your dry ingredients.

https://www.ehow.com/info_8645445_uses-stale-crackers.html

Okay, now that's pretty cool!

The closest I have in my house just now is a tub of hard tack... And I wonder if they might actually be able to serve a similar purpose - though of course, if they absorb moisture their shelf life will suffer! The shelf life will go from "centuries" to "decades" - if there is an apocalypse, this sort of thing may matter some day! :rofl:

I've gone and bought a "Tectak" hard case with precut foam inserts for £30 - time will tell if it's any good - and I can get a refund if it's too small or insufficiently waterproof! I've measured it out with 1:1 scale paper cutouts - so we should be good - and camping wise, in the worst case scenario, I can strap it to the top of my pack (though, I should hopefully have enough room inside... time will tell on that front!)

Last edited by cprobertson1; 02-25-2019 at 01:25 AM.
02-25-2019, 03:45 AM   #17

What I do when hiking now is to carry my K1 on a decent strap with one lense mounted, and carry another two lenses in the side pockets of my rucksack (and might use drybags if the weather is inclement - which it often is here in Scotland)! If it rains heavily I either put my camera under my waterproof or into the rucksack. A waist pack sounds an interesting idea however I'm not sure how well that'd work with heavier kit.

Rannoch moor can be pretty rough BTW - not sure how well Naismiths will hold up for that although I haven't done that track so it might be ok.
02-25-2019, 04:02 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Okay, now that's pretty cool! . . .
Nana always had a couple of broken crackers, ( large pieces ) layered throughout in the large storage jar of flour. I finally asked her why and that is what she told me, it kept the flour dry and loose

hard tack is just a large cracker as far as I know, I made some years ago when I was doing Revolutionary War re enactment

flour and water mixture, nothing else, baked in the oven I probably have some stored in the basement somewhere

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-25-2019 at 05:06 AM.
02-25-2019, 04:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What lenses are you packing? Remember that weather resistance is a system property.

With a well sealed system, a wipe with a towel after the shoot and a spell in the tent is probably good enough.

02-25-2019, 05:19 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

a comment on proper clothing to wear

there is a saying

cotton kills - if it becomes wet, it draws heat from the body

wool doesn't - if wool becomes wet, it still helps keep the body warm

like all " sayings " there are degrees of truthfulness

If I plan on being outside in the cold and/or when I I can expect to be exposed to moisture, my choice is

1 layers ( remove and add to in order to prevent sweating )

2 wool

you could experiment at home, wet cotton and put it on - what happens

wet wool and put it on - what happens

add moving air from a fan - what happens

sit around for a period of time

MHO, YMMV
02-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He's from Ayrshire Allen. That's in Scotland. I think he knows how to dress for the weather
02-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
He's from Ayrshire Allen. That's in Scotland. I think he knows how to dress for the weather
I'm sure you are correct

but other readers might not

some might even not spell " whisky " correctly

02-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
What I do when hiking now is to carry my K1 on a decent strap with one lense mounted, and carry another two lenses in the side pockets of my rucksack (and might use drybags if the weather is inclement - which it often is here in Scotland)! If it rains heavily I either put my camera under my waterproof or into the rucksack. A waist pack sounds an interesting idea however I'm not sure how well that'd work with heavier kit.

Rannoch moor can be pretty rough BTW - not sure how well Naismiths will hold up for that although I haven't done that track so it might be ok.
This path starts just after where the west highland way splits Westwards just after the kingshouse hotel, starts as a hardpacked road for a few miles until you get to the Black Corries lodge - from there the road gives way to a track and starts to wind a bit a lot - to judge by the maps that's probably when it's roughest.

I reckon it'll be a tiring walk - I'll add a third onto my walking estimates to try to compensate a little. Worst case scenario I can be lazy and camp en route! I'll have the handheld radio with me, so I should be able to contact somebody in an emergency as well. One of the benefits of being a ham (as in amateur radio operator) I guess!

I think I'll also go for a journey up Glen Rosa in Arran beforehand - first of all, great scenery there and if you get it on a clear night - ooft! But it'll also give me an idea of how to handle the camera in the wild!

I'm really looking forward to this - it feels like forever since I've been in the wilds - I used to go hiking pretty much every weekend!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
What lenses are you packing? Remember that weather resistance is a system property.

With a well sealed system, a wipe with a towel after the shoot and a spell in the tent is probably good enough.
I'll definitely have my Pentax 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 AL WR with me - but that is my only WR lens as far as I know. I'll also take my Samsung 50-200mm F/4-5.6 D-Xenon lens - but that is not water resistant as far as I know (there definitely aren't any gaskets or seals on the mount). I'll probably have a teleconverter with that as well if I want to do astrophotography - and it's definitely not water resistant either xD

The 18-55 WR lens will be my most-used lens though. Where I think that might become a problem is if I'm swapping between lenses and letting humid air into the camera body which might cause problems if there are temperature changes.

there is a saying

cotton kills - if it becomes wet, it draws heat from the body

wool doesn't - if wool becomes wet, it still helps keep the body warm

like all " sayings " there are degrees of truthfulness

If I plan on being outside in the cold and/or when I I can expect to be exposed to moisture, my choice is

1 layers ( remove and add to in order to prevent sweating )

2 wool

you could experiment at home, wet cotton and put it on - what happens

wet wool and put it on - what happens

add moving air from a fan - what happens

sit around for a period of time

MHO, YMMV
Cotton also stays wet for aaaaaages! I happen to know this because the tumble drier broke on Friday and I'm using a clothes horse to dry things until the new unit arrives on Thursday xD Side note - but while I was scrapping the old unit for parts, I found a manufacturing date - it was manufactured in the 11th week, 1974 - which means my drier will turn 45 in two weeks time - that's some service life!

Anyhoo - I used to be an avid wildcamper and have a bunch of quick-dry and wicking clothes and layers - regatta fleeces are amazingly good at wicking moisture away: it's weird when you notice the outside is wet (with your perspiration) but the inside is dry, despite the fleece only being a few mm thick! Of course, all to their own - some people despise the regatta fleeces as they aren't terribly thick (though I call that a bonus)!

I usually carry 2-3 fleeces (one sleeveless) and a hard-shell jacket - not had temperature problems yet with that get-up, but, I have been lucky with my weather the last few times I went out (granted, that was over a year ago now!). ::knocks on wood::

---------- Post added 02-25-19 at 06:58 AM ----------

I'm sure you are correct

but other readers might not

some might even not spell " whisky " correctly
Oh gawd - please tell me I didn't spell it Whiskey!?!?!?!?! I'd be so embarrased! I'm going to go look back over my posts just to double check
02-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good news! I spelled it "Whisky" - we're safe!

For those interested: the "whisky" spelling is Scottish, while "whiskey" is Irish. The US use the Irish spelling - the difference in spelling originate from they were translated from Scottish and Irish Gaelic precursors. We'll leave bourbons out of the equation just now to avoid complicating matters!

Received the case yesterday - looking good! It's surprisingly good quality for £30

I've actually moved the O-GPS1 back and added another battery pack into it as well - but it looks like I took the photo before I done that! All I need to do now is give it a good hoovering to get rid of the tiny bits of foam that came off while I was picking-and-plucking.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody heard of the "trick" of using plasti-dip spray to coat the pick-and-pluck foam to make it last longer?
02-28-2019, 07:24 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
Just out of curiosity, has anybody heard of the "trick" of using plasti-dip spray to coat the pick-and-pluck foam to make it last longer?
I've seen it used on pick and pluck gun cases. YouTube has a bunch of videos on it.

Nice case, but I'd assumed Wildcamping meant backpacking to remote areas. Curious how it's different from camping, which in the US involves driving to areas and setting up a tent or camper. Backpacking is basically carrying everything you're going to need on your back and off you go.

Last edited by rogerstg; 02-28-2019 at 07:31 AM.
02-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I've seen it used on pick and pluck gun cases. YouTube has a bunch of videos on it.

Nice case, but I'd assumed Wildcamping meant backpacking to remote areas. Curious how it's different from camping, which in the US involves driving to areas and setting up a tent or camper. Backpacking is basically carrying everything you're going to need on your back and off you go.
Up here back country camping is either hiking and backpacking or canoe camping on overnight trips. Us back country folk sneer at car campers.

The car campgrounds these days are subdivisions with really small lots for really big trailers. At least you don't have to mow the lawn I guess.

For day hikes, any pack with a rain cover will do.
02-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote

Interesting!

It didn't even occur to me there would be a difference!

Note that I don't speak for everybody on this side of the pond - for all I know, I might be an outlier: but from the people I speak to the below definitions are what they generally mean when they use the word.

That said, the definitions are kinda fuzzy - they aren't terms of art I'm afraid!
  • Camping - Literally means you are staying outwith your house with shelter you took with you. However, when most people say camping here, they generally mean they are staying at a campsite - an area designated for pitching tents, parking caravans or motorhomes - and often equipped with facilities (electricity, toilets, washrooms, laundry, waste disposal, and a clean water supply) - so you might show up with your caravan, hook up to the power supply, and hang out there for the next week. You might also show up with a tent, borrow a corner of a field, and only make use of the toilets and the sink to clean your dishes.
  • Wildcamping - simply that you are pitching your shelter in an non-designated area (id est anywhere in the wild (or in Scotland, anywhere you aren't causing damage or inconveniencing anybody, though England and Whales oftentimes let you off with it, you don't have a right to roam as you do in Scotland). It literally just means camping in the wild - I prefer this term as it instantly lets you know I'm not using the above campsites. It usually generally means you're going off the beaten path as well, but I'll be honest, I've actually slept on the path on one occasion so it's not a necessity. In other words, it's camping somewhere without facilities. You don't necessarily need a backpack - what matters is that you camp in the wild. So I guess if you drove around in car and pitched camp wherever you feel like, it'd still be wildcamping.
  • Backpacking: more of a mode of transport than a style of camping - this means you're carrying everything you need on your back - with or without resupply. You could be a hiker (see below) and camp (see above) or wildcamp (see above) - or you could hop on the train from city to city and stay in five-star hotels. What matters is the backpack is where all your stuff is (rather than in a suitcase in the back of your car)
  • Hiking - lots of overlap with backpacking - this typically refers to the mode of transport, namely you are on foot and are happy to walk everywhere (while a backpacker may simply move around the country on public transport... but have a backpack!) Hikers can camp (in the wild or at a campsite) or use a hotels and hostels. So, a backpacker staying at lodges and getting around only on their feet could also be described as a hiker. That said, some people pay for couriers to move their kit between hostels and hotels... So they pick up your kit in the morning and it's at your destination eight hours later when you're done with the days hike. I find this ludicrous, but I can certainly see the appeal! It's especially popular on the West Highland Way actually, where I can see it actually being of some benefit for people who want to see the sights but only take a day-pack.

As you can see, lots of overlap - and to be honest, these aren't terms of art, and people generally get what you mean by them without having to worry about the semantics of whether you're hiking and backpacking but staying in a hostel or wildcamping out your car or whatever.

Generally speaking the conversation goes "I'm going camping/wildcamping/hiking/backpacking" and the other person says "ooh, whereabouts?" and you say "I'm taking the caravan to New England bay (site)" or "I'm hiking the Prince Charles trail and wildcamping" or whatever.

I preferentially usually use "wildcamping" as it gives the listener a good idea of where I'm staying (in the wild, rather than at some sort of accomodation or campsite) and when they ask "where" I'll say "Oh I'm getting the ferry across to Arran and then hiking up Glen Rosa" and that way I don't have to worry about any nuances!

The above seems to pretty much agree with the definition you've given (that wildcamping is camping in a remote area (the wild) but technically speaking the backpacking part is optional, and I technically didn't need to hike out to the remote area. It's the most common way of getting around while wildcamping though. In my case, I'll be getting the bus to the trailhead and then I'm on my own for a bit.

OF course, don't take my words as authoritative! These are merely the definitions that I typically hear and use; for all I know, it might (and probably does) vary depending on who you ask, and where they come from!

ANYWAY - I'll need to look into that plasti-dip some more. I've made a few mistakes when picking-and-plucking, but a dab of hot glue will sort that right out. I do however want to make the whole thing more robust - just a pity that plasti-dip isn't terribly cheap over here! Still, it's affordable! I wonder if one can (400ml) will be enough to do all the foam, or whether I'll need two =/
02-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And "Glamping"?
02-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And "Glamping"?
Occasionally we do that. A big stationary tent with a proper bed , table and chairs in it that and coolers full of ice for refrigeration, so you can chill your white wine to the right temperature before serving, as opposed to drinking it warm on more rigorous tips.
02-28-2019, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
And "Glamping"?
Camping in luxury

The last campsite I went to was in the Lake District (Cumbria, England) and they had large, double-insulated yurts with woodburning stoves and beds. Some yurts are also fitted with electricity and a separate room for the toilet, complete with an upright shower.

Not for me though - the last time I checked up prices, it was actually cheaper to stay in an hotel half a mile away!