Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Europe Holiday

Well guys, I have paid for my tickets and have my dates sorted.
I fly to Europe on the 6th of June with a 5 hour stopover in Guangzhou, China where I intend on getting a few snaps.
I fly into Rome's Fiumicino Airport arriving early on the 7th of June. 2 full days 2 spend in Rome.
9th of June I travel to Pompeii for the day and night.
June 10th I travel to Florence and to Pisa (Leaning tower) and to Venice that evening.
I fly out late on the 12th of June from Venice to London.
13th I spend in London.
14th I am going to visit Stonehenge.
15th I travel to Edinburgh and catch up with 3 mates and we continue our holiday together.
Early morning on the 18th we fly from Edinburgh to Paris where we pick up a campervan and a 5th mate and travel to Clisson in France for a 2 combined metal concerts (Knott-Fest 1 day festival & Hellfest 3 day festival at the same venue) where I have been assured I can take any and all camera equipment inside. I intend to take my camera equipment in at least one of those 4 days however it will probably be more.
On the 24th, we drop off the campervan back in Paris and we all travel to Amsterdam by train.
I'm not sure how the Amsterdam photos will turn out lol.
We fly back on the 27th of June to Australia once again.

Now.. After all that.. I am after some suggestions for photography in the places I am to venture into.
I am thinking I want to find places that are not quite the norm for tourist photos but are just as gorgeous in a picture. The obvious well known tourist destinations such as the Vatican, Forum, Aqua ducts etc are most likely on my list already. If you feel there is somewhere I shouldn't miss, please let me know.

---------- Post added 02-25-19 at 03:08 PM ----------

By the way, I am taking my K-70.
DFA 28-105 (I love this lens)
DA 10-17 Fisheye
HD DA 55-300(red ring)
DA* 55
DA 18-55 (debating swapping for M 35-70)
Tamron SP Di 90 macro
O-GPS1 Unit
Metz AF24... (debating taking this)
Gorillapod 3k
1.6m tripod transforms into 1.2m monopod
2x 512GB, 2x 256GB, 2x64GB & 2x16GB SD cards.
Various lens filters, lens cleaning kit, 2 extra batteries.
All fits into my camera backpack.
Too much? Not enough? Wrong gear? All good?

02-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

If you want different pictures from all the other tourists in Amsterdam, take the train to see what the rest of Netherlands actually looks like and spend at least an afternoon in Rotterdam (modern, architecture, harbours), Utrecht (canals and beautiful historic center minus the hordes of tourists), or the Hague (political center, historic center as well). All within an hour from Amsterdam.

---------- Post added 02-25-2019 at 05:33 AM ----------

Oh and if you need photographic inspiration, consider these photography musuems in the Netherlands.

Amsterdam,
Foam: All about photography - Foam Fotografiemuseum Amsterdam

The Hague, Voorpagina | Fotomuseum Den Haag

Rotterdam,
Nederlands Fotomuseum | Rotterdam
02-25-2019, 03:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

28-105mm seems to me doesn't offer a wide enough angle of view, though you have the 10-17mm you'll be switching lenses. A 17-50mm f/2.8 or 16-85mm would make more sense to me.

I would strongly recommend at least one WR lens as it can rain a lot, even in summer, and something better than the 18-55mm would be my preferred choice.
02-25-2019, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #4

You're visiting my hometown - Edinburgh - as part of what looks a great trip.

I'd agree with the previous poster who recommended getting something wider. On APS-C my most used lenses when travelling are the Sigma 10-20mm and the Pentax 16-45mm F4, both of which can be had cheap 2nd hand.

I've got the 10-17 fisheye as well and while it's a fun lens it'd get an awful lot less use than something like the Sigma 10-20 in my experience (I often carried both).

02-25-2019, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My standard advice to anyone traveling to Italy is; Go at least 2 blocks away from main tuorist attraction, if you want to eat or drink something. Preferably a bit more. You get better and cheaper food when you visit the places locals use.

Personally I avoid main attractions altogether. Too much tourists and all the side effects. There's plenty to see anyway. One's when we asked tips from a local about where to go, she said "Doesn't matter. It's all beautiful." She was right
02-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
You're visiting my hometown - Edinburgh - as part of what looks a great trip.

I'd agree with the previous poster who recommended getting something wider. On APS-C my most used lenses when travelling are the Sigma 10-20mm and the Pentax 16-45mm F4, both of which can be had cheap 2nd hand.

I've got the 10-17 fisheye as well and while it's a fun lens it'd get an awful lot less use than something like the Sigma 10-20 in my experience (I often carried both).
I also hail from Edinburgh, hence my comment on the importance of a WR lens, even in summer

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
My standard advice to anyone traveling to Italy is; Go at least 2 blocks away from main tuorist attraction, if you want to eat or drink something. Preferably a bit more. You get better and cheaper food when you visit the places locals use.
I second this. I've found some great little eateries on my travels by following this rule.
02-26-2019, 03:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On our Venice trip we stayed on Murano, home of the Venetian Glass industry. Go in a little from the main canal-side streets and you find where the locals eat and drink. A trip to Burano was a colourful highlight and also has a leaning tower. Walk over to Mazzorbo if you want to see a quieter view of life on the lagoons. Given your metal music interest maybe a trip the Isle of the Dead, San Michele, would be interesting. You can stop there on the way to Murano. In Venice work your way round to the Arsenal, much less crowded than the usual Rialto bridge etc. The original Jewish Ghetto is also worth a visit. When travelling by boat around Venice don't forget to validate your ticket before every trip, the local administration is very thorough about enforcing this with trips to the police station and hefty fines if you don't.

Assuming you don't spend the whole day stuck in the Stonehenge traffic jam look out for other neolithic sites which get less traffic. Further north on the Ridgeway there is Uffington Castle (earthworks) and White Horse with Wayland's Smithy nearby.