Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Travel image backup plan... what do you think?

Here's my image backup plan for my upcoming 3-week trip to Italy/France. Note this is a carry-on bag only trip.

K-70
2 x 32 GB SD cards, RAW+
iPad
SanDisk iXpand memory stick

I tried out the K-70s WiFi capability last night - it transfers the 28MB RAW files at slightly quicker than one per minute. JPEGs of course are much quicker.

My draft backup plan is this:
Shoot RAW+
Every day or two, transfer new JPEGs to the iPad with ImageSync using K-70's WiFi
When possible, upload the JPEGs to DropBox
Do not delete images from the SD card
Switch to new card once full, store the full card somewhere secure
If/when the iPad gets full, copy images to SanDisk iXpand stick
This keeps the RAW files on the SD cards and a copy of the JPEG on both the iPad (or memory stick) and DropBox. I hope the RAW files get home safely, but if not the JPEGS are on iPad/stick and DropBox. If the situation allows, I could also upload a few of the RAW files to dropbox, or possibly transfer all of them to a memory stick (using a public computer).

It's not perfect, but it seems fairly safe and it's very lightweight using items we are bringing anyway. What do you think?

02-27-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you don't want to use the slow wifi apple makes a card reader that works great with an ipad, I have one and can upload all of the raw files before I could have the wifi setup.
02-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Last time I had a similar setting as yours. I had a small tablet with me to do file backup to another 3 thumb drives and some back up to cloud storage. But it was slow both file transfer and working process (create a directory, file re-name, file delete and etc).
I will have a similar trip coming up. This time, I will go with a small size notebook which is a lot faster and easier to do file management. I can also do simple post-process, and a tin notebook is about the same side as a medium-size tablet.
My backup process this time will be (I usually do daily at the end of the day in the hotel):
1. Move files from SD cards to the laptop.
2. Keep one copy in the laptop and letting it upload all file of that day to Amazon prime's cloud while sleep.
3. Format sd cards the next morning for re-use. the laptop stay in a hotel room's safebox.
No more many thumb drive and sd card because to me, having many small gadgets like that on a far from home trip ofent make me worry if I forget one of them somewhere or if it is accidentally dropped and left behind, etc.
10-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thoughts upon return:

WiFi was unpredictable in both presence and stability. We largely stayed in Vrbo properties - this was great, I highly recommend it, but while most tried to offer wifi, it was not necessarily what you would call robust. Don't depend on it. I managed to upload a fair number of files to Dropbox and some were moved to my phone, but in general, if I really wanted to travel with full backup security, I would need either a tablet with a huge amount of memory, or better yet a small notebook to make copies and upload where possible. Internet cafes never seemed to pop up in my path.

10-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #5

2 SD cards may not be enough with Raw files for 3 weeks.
10-26-2019, 06:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a USB OTG connector for my android phone and a SanDisc 250 gigabyte flash drive. It's simple small and easy to use. When I get home I copy all the files to my computers hard drive and I'm ready to edit. They make similar connectors for iphones and ipads.