Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 08:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Australian Photo Club visiting Sth Isl NZ

Hi, I am reaching out to the New Zealanders for a bit of advice (...no, not on how to play cricket or rugby ) but on a possible itinerary for 2 - 3 week trip to NZ in 2020.
I have had the pleasure to visit previously, but a photographic trip is somewhat different to a regular tourist run.
Trip will be in Autumn or Spring of 2020....any advice on particular months will be appreciated.
Arrival will be into Christchurch, numbers unknown as yet but I expect it to be around 20.
I would prefer to base in a few places and work out of them. Wanaka would be one such base, some 3- 5 days ??? Where would we base further south ? Te Anau ? Invercargill ? and again in the North of the South Island ? West Coast would probably be 2 nights max. ??

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is involved in a camera club over there and would like to share details, maybe we could arrange a meet up ?

Thanks folks.
Cheers
Grant

03-07-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No clue about camera clubs sorry, but about this time of year through to easter is good (it'll probably be cold for you), Autumn weather tends to be more settled then spring, it's not as busy now in terms of people being back at work also.

You definitely want to spend time down the west coast , it's beautiful down there, same with Fiordland, though that is a trip best done in a boat, Golden bay is nice, central Otago also. The biggest thing i'd say is that the South Island is pretty big (not big like Aussie, but bigger than people expect), it takes a while to get places, and has a lot to see, the landscape changes a lot as you move through it, You really want to get a little bit away from the famous photo spots, they tend to be crowded, you can travel 10-20km past them and get whole beaches to yourself.
03-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
No clue about camera clubs sorry, but about this time of year through to easter is good (it'll probably be cold for you), Autumn weather tends to be more settled then spring, it's not as busy now in terms of people being back at work also.

You definitely want to spend time down the west coast , it's beautiful down there, same with Fiordland, though that is a trip best done in a boat, Golden bay is nice, central Otago also. The biggest thing i'd say is that the South Island is pretty big (not big like Aussie, but bigger than people expect), it takes a while to get places, and has a lot to see, the landscape changes a lot as you move through it, You really want to get a little bit away from the famous photo spots, they tend to be crowded, you can travel 10-20km past them and get whole beaches to yourself.
Thankyou sqrrl....I am rapidly coming to that conclusion re:size and where/what to see after spending a few hours scrolling through google maps. Would it be fair to say the west coast and points north would be more "attractive" to a bunch of photogs than around Invercargill ?