Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #16

Original Poster
Some great tips here folks - thanks!!

Jon

03-21-2019, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I live here (Flagstaff) and lived there (Las Vegas).

Now in Flagstaff (north of Sedona, and on the way to the Grand Canyon).

As far as I know, the North Rim of the GC is closed (due to snow) until May. The south rim will be open, and not as nearly crowded as later in the year. You may even be able to drive your car into the park and along the rim. I would recommend coming in (or out) the south entrance, and leaving (entering) by the east entrance (to/from Cameron, Arizona).

If you have time and inclination, check out Antelope Canyon (near Page, Arizona - need a local Navajo guide - and a modest wide-angle lens). Also, the bridge and dam at Glen Canyon Dam/Lake Powell are worth a stop.

As noted by others, go for the some kind of National Park entry permit. You should consider Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon (may be snowed in) on your trip, in addition to the Grand Canyon. The Grand Canyon is one of those few places on earth that exceed expectations. My wife says the only other place she’s seen that beats expectations are the fjords of Norway (if that is relevant).

If you get to Sedona and are still headed north, consider the route 89 road from Sedona to Flagstaff - very scenic.

As somebody noted, in Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon is worth the visit. And, north of Las Vegas (on your way to Zion/Bryce?), check out Valley of Fire state park. Include a scenic drive along the shore of Lake Mead. If you cross the border between Las Vegas and Arizona, stop for a walk along the bridge just below Hoover Canyon Dam (need your widest angle lens here).

Check out local bars and grills - way better than Starbucks . We have a favorite just a mile away where we eat every Sunday (9 miles north of Flagstaff). Not real cheap, but reasonable (on the way from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon - let me know by PM and we might meet you for dinner!!)

“I'm also curious about visiting one of the aeroplane graveyards (I am a pilot)” Oh my god, you MUST visit the airplane museum in Tucson (Pima Air & Space Museum). Be prepared to spend a LOT OF TIME. Not sure if foreigners are allowed, but also schedule a trip to the Davis Monthan Airbase “graveyard” - more Air Force planes in cold storage than you can possibly imagine!!!!! Our US tax payer dollars (no longer) at work. Probably 10's of billions of dollars of fighters and bombers sitting around waiting for the next war.
03-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty much all been said. But here's a bit more to ponder: I would take your 15 -30 & 24-70, the 24-70 will spend most of the time on the camera. South Rim Grand Canyon: if you can, plan on at least two (2) nights here and stay in the Park, either at Yavapai, Maswik or Thunderbird Lodges. Bright Angel or El Tovar if the budget allows for that. Take the shuttle up to western end points, bus leaves near Bright Angel for sunsets, note the time of the last bus... I am told its a long walk back. Sunrise along the rim at Mather Pt etc. Allow some time at the eastern end (and getting to it....lots of pull outs), Desert View
Page / Antelope Canyon: I highly reccommend Lower over Upper, unfortuneately both are now over crowded and the experience is not as good as it was....but still has to be seen. If time permits a river float is great....but time is your enemy.
Monument Valley: If your vehicle is high clearance and you have experience in off road driving in so much as you can read road conditions, then drive down there. IF you do not have any of the former....use a tour company. Stay a night at the View Hotel if you can and some of the best photography is from the car park. There is also accomm in Mexican Hat, 30 min up the track. Have stayed at the San Juan Inn. Mexican Hat Lodge & Grill an experience , but food was good.
Valley Of Gods worth a drive, as is Goosenecks. I also like Natural Bridges Mounument, and you can get to Moab. Arches and Canyon lands magnificent.
From Moab skirt around to Torrey / Capital Reef NP, several accomm options. Come back down Hwy 12 to Bryce, a fantastic drive and dont forget to look up the Devils Playground (think thats what its called....Devil something...comes up on Google maps) on left and about 15 miles off hwy 12 before Escalante.
Bryce one of those must sees. Cruise on back and spend a night or two at Zion before heading back to Vegas.

Spend a bit of time on google maps and all of this will make more sense...BUT....10 days is the bare minimum, you will be busy and will probably have to cut off some places.
Cheers.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 03-22-2019 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction
03-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Take the shuttle up to western end points, bus leaves near Bright Angel for sunsets, note the time of the last bus... I am told its a long walk back.
I liked walking west along the rim from Bright Angel. Not a lot of foot traffic that way. I walked out as far west as I could get until tired and then caught a shuttle back but I would have walked both ways for the experience if the bus was done already. It was a glorious view at every turn and the solitude between tram stops was welcome.

03-22-2019, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This next week? Here are a few thoughts:
  • You might want focal length to at least 200, even a prime
  • Be prepared to put many, many miles on the rental car. A compact might not be so great.
  • Distances are further than they look on the map and one may drive for hours without seeing any services or having a good cell phone signal. Buy gas in anticipation of that next reasonable-size town on the map and be aware that everything may be closed after 6:00 or 7:00 in the evening.
  • Time is different in Arizona depending on jurisdiction
  • Native people have sovereignty over their lands and their laws are real. In addition, don't photograph the people and their homes without permission and be prepared to leave a token of thanks. Some places, e.g. Oraibi on the Hopi Third Mesa, are best visited only after making arrangements for a native guide and doing so in advance. Don't just mosey down there in your rental car.
  • As noted above, the Federal "America the Beautiful" pass will save you money
  • Many places you might want to visit are fairly high elevation. Be prepared for sub-freezing temperatures at the Grand Canyon (6800').
  • I second the recommendation of sunrise at Mather Point at the Grand Canyon.*
  • Monument Valley is totally worth it (5600')
  • Consider Canyon de Chelly near Chinle, AZ (6000'). It is a remarkable place.
  • Best food in Arizona is at the Hopi Cultural Center between Second Mesa and Third Mesa. This time of year is their slow season and getting a table should not be hard. Ask for Hopi food.
  • Once west of U.S. Highway 89 your fate is sealed. From there one has to travel at least to Kingman (U.S. 93) before you can find a way north across the Colorado River.
  • Skip Las Vegas except for a drive down the strip. Forge on to Death Valley. Now is the time of year to visit.
  • It may be a little early for Zion, but worth asking about
  • Bryce is high (7600') and cold this time of year and almost assuredly snowy still, but snow on Bryce is photo Nirvana, If you go, Ruby's is great for room and food.
  • Beware of Utah. I was not two hours in that state before I exclaimed that I was ready to convert (to Latter Day Saints) and move there. Yes, it is that amazing.
I was down there a few years ago and below is my favorite photo from the trip...

White House Ruin, Canyon de Chelly National Monument

Yes, Ansel Adams photographed the same location and from close to the same spot.

Have Fun!

Steve

* There were about 40 of us gathered the morning I was there. It was cold and clear and spectacular and when the the sun broke over the edge of the earth, there was spontaneous applause and even open weeping. Yes, it was that good.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-22-2019 at 04:43 PM.
03-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I liked walking west along the rim from Bright Angel. Not a lot of foot traffic that way. I walked out as far west as I could get until tired and then caught a shuttle back but I would have walked both ways for the experience if the bus was done already. It was a glorious view at every turn and the solitude between tram stops was welcome.
Did the same one morning Uncle and after 15 minutes or so, I was convinced I was being watched. A careful scan of the forest between the path and the rim revealed a deer walking with me, kept with me for 30-40 minutes before dis-appearing.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 03-23-19 at 01:15 PM ----------

Damn it Steve! Stop it ! I am going to be in Colorado in June and had taken Canyon de Chelly off my list because it was just that bit further (plan on visiting Black Canyon of Gunnison)....and then you post that. (mutter ! mutter ! back to Google maps !!!!) Yes to Death Valley as well.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 03-22-2019 at 07:20 PM.
03-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is my post of photos in the Grand Canyon thread. Most were normal to wide angle, but the telephoto came in handy a few times.
The Purely Pentax Grand Canyon Tribute - PentaxForums.com

As far as food* goes, I tend toward Taco Bell. Del Taco has "Chicken rollers" for $1 each. I get all 4 varieties. And free water. For $8-$20 meals I like Denny's.

I have read you should do the slot canyon around high noon so you get the good vertical light.

*88% beef, 12% anyone's guess.

Last edited by SpecialK; 03-22-2019 at 09:58 PM.
03-24-2019, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
Well guys, thanks so much for the tips - we're loving our trip! You were right the 24-70mm is living on the camera and I'm finding the 15-30mm too wide for most shots although made som use of it at Sedona. The Lodge at Monument Valley where we arrived last night just before sunset yielded this which might just be the best picture I have ever taken and that was only from the car park!

Sedona also yielded some good results

Off to shoot Monument Valley further today and staying here again tonight.

I'm pondering booking a dawn tour for $130 ish with these guys:

Directions to Phillips' Photography Tours. | Phillips' Photography Tours

Anybody have any experience with them as it's as expensive and I'm wondering if it's worth it?

The problem is they seem to keep the park closed until 8am and sunrise is 07.15am which means if you want dawn shots I gather a tour is the only way although I am unsure if there is in fact any physical barrier to stop you just driving off yourself.

Thanks again for all the advice - this is photographic heaven!

Jon

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2019 at 02:38 PM ----------

Great image Stevebrot,

For some reason when I post more than two images in my original post it just duplicates the first two - weird

Jon

---------- Post added 24th Mar 2019 at 02:40 PM ----------

Last edited by jonlg; 03-24-2019 at 07:39 AM.
03-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have heard that Philips's Photo Tour is very good.....but not used them.
Great images of a great place and it just keeps rolling on as you move through that part of the world....each location is different (there is no "good or bad" imho) and yet very unique in its own way.
Looking forward to more images.
03-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
The problem is they seem to keep the park closed until 8am and sunrise is 07.15am which means if you want dawn shots I gather a tour is the only way although I am unsure if there is in fact any physical barrier to stop you just driving off yourself.
There used to be a fairly sturdy gate. As for the opening time...my understanding is that the intent is to encourage use of Navajo or permit-owning guides. The upside is that they will take you where you can't go otherwise.

Steve
03-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There used to be a fairly sturdy gate. As for the opening time...my understanding is that the intent is to encourage use of Navajo or permit-owning guides. The upside is that they will take you where you can't go otherwise.

Steve
On a previous trip I was entering via a gate further back towards the highway (only by a few hundred metres/yards) from where you normally enter which opens/closes at the said hours, dont know if that is still the case. This other gate was open 24/7 for local traffic. It was pointed out to me by one of the staff when I enquired about getting in there for sunrise / set.
03-25-2019, 04:43 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is that the early morning guided tour was well worth it. See if they will hit Totem Pole and North Window.