Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
looking for suggestions for RiNo section of Denver

we are heading for Denver to watch Cubs vs. Rockies June 10-11

we arrive on June 9 and have a walking food tour scheduled in the RINO section of Denver Sunday afternoon

RiNo - River North Art District - Denver, CO

River North Art District (RiNo) | VISIT DENVER

never been there but looking for thoughts of what lenses to bring to capture street scenes and the murals?

will have a K 3 or K 3 II

possible choices:

PRIMES

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited 49 F

ZOOMS

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR

not going to take all of course but if anyone has thoughts please let me know

local knowledge of the area would be a plus

thanks

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-26-2019 at 05:52 AM.
05-26-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can use Google maps street view to virtually walk around if you have a fairly good idea. Of course street art may have changed but you get an idea of space and lights.
06-05-2019, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
we are heading for Denver to watch Cubs vs. Rockies June 10-11

we arrive on June 9 and have a walking food tour scheduled in the RINO section of Denver Sunday afternoon

RiNo - River North Art District - Denver, CO

River North Art District (RiNo) | VISIT DENVER

never been there but looking for thoughts of what lenses to bring to capture street scenes and the murals?

will have a K 3 or K 3 II

possible choices:

PRIMES

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
SMC Pentax-DA 21mm F3.2 Limited
Kino Precision Japan Kiron 28mm F2 MC P/KA
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited 49 F

ZOOMS

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR

not going to take all of course but if anyone has thoughts please let me know

local knowledge of the area would be a plus

thanks
Nearly all my visits to that area have been to drink beer. We take the A line (same train that goes to the airport) and stop at 38th and Blake. We've been to Black Shirt, Great Divide, Mockery, Epic, Crooked Stave, Stem Ciders* and Breckenridge. There are many more. You could walk back to the ball park or your hotel, stopping every few blocks for beer.

Beer influences my lens choice a lot. I like to bring something small, one lens if possible. I've used the DA 18-55 WR a lot, WR in case of thunderstorms while walking. The DA 21 is great for a small package. I don't feel like I need much more range than those lenses. The buildings aren't so tight together, so wide angles aren't that important. If I just have one lens, I sometimes find a use for the popup flash so maybe the K-3 original version. Since we walk a lot, my 18-135 seems a bit heavy after a while, and has some zoom creep. I'd worry about the 16-85 being similar, but the focal range is fine. Autofocus is handy after a few beers. Possibly my photography judgment is impaired.

They have restaurants and art there too, I hear. The area has been nearly entirely rebuilt in the last decade as it switches from cheap warehouses to expensive apartments. I used to not drive the nice car down there because you'd probably park on dirt next to an abandoned building. Now there is no parking. It used to be somewhat annoying to walk through because of construction.

I have two photo ideas for you. The train station at 38th and Blake has a footbridge over the rail tracks north of the station. There is s good city view from the bridge, especially if you get a nice thunderstorm close to sunset. Closer to your hotel, the Amtrak California Zephyr stops in Denver at Union Station to refuel. The Chicago to San Francisco train is there from 7:15am to 8:05am every day. The returning train stops there at 6:38pm and leaves at 7:10pm every day.

*technically not beer
06-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lenses are mostly the 18-55 except for Black Shirt (F28/2.8), Stem (DA 10-17 FE) and the Zephyr (DA21).

Great Divide has a big new facility in RINO and also a taproom at the airport in the C terminal. They have frequent tours of the facility.

I tell non-Coloradoans that the beer on the left is for the other 49 states, the beer on the right is for locals:

Black Shirt, much smaller:

Crooked Stave, which is in an old brick factory now called the Source, with restaurants, a bakery, cheese shop, etc. There's a new hotel next to it with a New Belgium experimental brewery on the top floor.

Mockery, a small place just north of Great Divide:

Epic, which is based in Utah but makes their experimental beers here:

Stem Ciders:

California Zephyr with the DA21. I couldn't find the right framing with the DA21 before our train arrived.

06-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I apologize in advance for Sunday's weather.
06-09-2019, 01:04 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I apologize in advance for Sunday's weather.
yes, I've been checking on that
06-10-2019, 03:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back when I lived near Denver, the RiNo area was a no-go zone, especially after dark. Glad to see that things have changed for the better, I'll be visiting there in July. Enjoy the trip.

06-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Back when I lived near Denver, the RiNo area was a no-go zone, especially after dark. Glad to see that things have changed for the better, I'll be visiting there in July. Enjoy the trip.
Bring your camera

the area is fantastic now, at least the area where we went on our walking food tour:

Food and Craft Beer Tours of Denver ? Delicious Denver Food Tours

the highlight to me was as we left our starting point in the Central Market and went into the alley

that area is covered with art and is changed every year, artists are judged and invited each year to participate

the rest of the tour was good as well, good info, food and for me beer, my wife chose not to buy the beer option.

the art can be found all over the area

the area has been changed to small restaurants/bars/artists/ etc stores often sharing what had been originally a large factory.

[ with high turn over of businesses. ]

you can tour the area on your own of course, but the local knowledge and interpretation by the guide was well worth the price to us
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo