Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2019, 12:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Prague

Hello everyone .I have chance go to conference to Prague close end September .After conference i want stay few more day and look around
Any suggestions probably 7 day . I never have been where . I look spend few day in Prague and some city around Any suggestions please
Do i need rent car or public transportation ok?
Thank you Mike

06-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #2

End of September is a great time to be in Europe, almost all the tourists should be gone!
Prague is a great walking city and you can walk a big loop to see all the main historical spots in an afternoon (as long as you don't stop anywhere)!
So you can do a quick re-con and then go back to the places you like in the next few days.

After Prague you might check out the Church & Ossuary in Sedlec (near Kutna Hora). Take a train for the full experience!

Further north is Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) a spa town and the nearby castle at Loket.

Going south def visit Plzen (Pilsen) - tour the brewery and keep going south to Ceske Budejovice and Cesky Krumlov!

These are just a few of the sights, if you like beer you will be in heaven. Cheers!
06-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
GREAT IDEA
I Thank you
06-07-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have fond memories of visiting Prague around 12 years ago - it's a beautiful place and the food is great. We mostly walked and occasionally took a tram, no need for a car.

08-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #5

A great resource is the Honest Guide channel on YouTube. HONEST GUIDE - YouTube
For the city use public transport, if you do not have roaming data get a local sim card and use the public transport app, it save dealing with change and languages buying tickets.
When you get on a tram/bus or subway you just have to activate a virtual ticket which remains active for a period of time (45 minutes from memory)
I was there last October and loved the place
08-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks
08-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I spent a few days in Prague. We took the tram from the train station to our Hotel at the foot of the Lessor Tower of the Charles Bridge. After getting there, we walked, no cars necessary.
Check out:
The Jewish quarter - full of old Synagogues and a haunting cemetery. The context is disturbing, but the city does not turn away for that history.
Visit the city Square - and the astronomical clock.
We climbed the hill to the castle and I took a few hundred images. We had a beer at a bar next to our hotel, local Pilsner, pull pork and dumplings. I would go back in a heart beat.

08-09-2019, 02:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for good idea just 4 week before go
Ready for good beer and walk around
Will keep my K3 busy
Thank you to help and advice Mike
08-15-2019, 02:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not yet been to Prague, but many friends have visited it and tell me one does not need a car there. In fact, like many European cities, having a car during is actually more trouble than its worth due to lots of traffic and limited, often expensive parking . Between walking, public transit, and Uber, I never rent a car when I visit any major cities in that part of the world.
I recommend you start picking out a few places to see via TripAdvisor, and Flickr, etc, so you can make a rough plan of places near your hotel to take in after the workday is done, and plan some longer trips if you have a free day.
One thing you won't lack is subjects to photograph, Prague is a large and popular city, so there will be all sorts of activity in the streets all the time, especially along the river.

Others have given you some great ideas, I'd like to recommend the Alphonse Mucha Museum in Prague. Mucha's illustrations influenced many other artists, and his series devoted to the history of the Czech people is worth seeing in person, Plus, its a good idea to have a few indoor locations in mind if the weather turns bad.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
08-15-2019, 02:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks I had little fun experience drive in Spain last year .So no repeat same experience .I debate myself about car .Agree not good idea i will be walk around
Last few years i use book Rick Steves for travel guide without reservation recommend to everybody
I have now plane and some idea for long trip
Conference organizer offer even one day trip to Dresden
.Thanks for advice and suggestions
Mike